Ester based oils and high Pb (Redline?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112468179/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

I came across this article which talks about high Pb with ester based oils. They refer to diesel engines but I could only read part of the article. It's $25.00.

Quote:

Accumulation of lead in ester-based engine oils
W. Baumann, K. Reiter, W. Zeiner
OMV AG, Schwechat, Austria

Keywords
ester-based • engine oil • lead • bearings • inhibitor • treat rates • Pb • Fe • older engines

Abstract
Synthetic esters are widely used as base-oil components in top-tier crankcase lubricant formulations. In combination with synthetic hydrocarbons, an ester content of between 10 and 50 wt.% is common. Only a few engine oils with an ester content above 85 wt.% have been introduced on to the market as yet. The use of such engine oils is advantageous, especially in environmentally sensitive areas, in terms of volatility, particle emissions, and biodegradability.
Some older types of heavy-duty diesel engine continue to be run in vehicles and in machinery in the construction industry, and in such engines a higher lead content has been detected when ester-based engine oils have been used. It has been found that lead is extracted from the bearings and accumulates ultimately in the engine oil during operation. Consequently, the development of a suitable inhibitor system has been initiated to improve engine and bearing protection. To determine the effectiveness of the new inhibitors, a suitable test method had to be found.
Using a test method based on the Petter WI (CEC L-02-A-78) test engine, the present paper summarises the results of tests on an inhibitor system to prevent lead extraction from bearings The metal contents reported in this paper were determined by ion conductive plasma atomic emission spectrometry.

Maybe Tom knows something about this?
cheers.gif

Quote:

Some older types of heavy-duty diesel engine continue to be run in vehicles and in machinery in the construction industry, and in such engines a higher lead content has been detected when ester-based engine oils have been used.

You really can't conclude anything from this little bit of info, but it does make me curious if this relates to Redline.

Tom, have you heard anything about this? They do refer to older engines so I'm not sure if it applies to modern engine designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back