Energy Conserving II, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the manual for the car, the picture example shows a picture of the donut which has the API, the grade and the Energy Conserving II on the bottom. I can't seem to find that in auto stores. Does it exist? or is it just hard to find. By the way I drive a 02 VW Jetta GLS 2.0L which i only get around 16-19 MPG. I don't expect very good fuel economy but it should be better. Currently using Mobil 1 5W-30. Hope that by using Energy Conserving II it could improve a little bit.

Fuhgeduhbowdid. "Energy Conserving II" is an old designation that went by the wayside when SJ/GF-2 oils were introduced. Nowadays, as long as you're using an SJ/GF-2 or SL/GF-3 rated motor oil, it'll just say "Energy Conserving" though they're just as if not more energy conserving than the old "Energy Conserving II" motor oils were. Sounds like the '02 veedub owner's manual copywriters missed a late motor oil spec update when doing the final edit in '01. Don't worry about it.

[ March 07, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Oil is not going to affect mpg that much, maybe .5 mpg or 1 mpg if your lucky. Your 2.0 should be getting better mileage than 16-19 mpg. Is that city or highway? My 99 Jetta VR6 gets a little over 29 mpg on the highway according to MFA (onboard computer).

I think a tune up would benefit you more IMO. New plugs, air filter, would be a start. If you are approaching 100k miles, then its probably time for a new Oxygen Sensor. Maybe cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor with rubbing alcohol would help a bit also.

Also, make sure your tires are inflated properly as you will lose mpg if underinflated. I always inflate mine a little on the high side.

Ditto

EC1 and ECII specs are obsolete and have been replaced by GF-3/SL. In particular, the sequence VIB test for fuel economy provides, with virgin oil, a "gain" of 0.6% to 1.7%.

After the mandatory 96 hour aging test, the "gain" is dramatically lower.

An O2 sensor can have a big impact on fuel economy. It's not a bad idea to change them every 60,000-90,000 miles.

Aggressive performance tires really hurt fuel economy too. How is the alignment?

Jerry

I've been getting the 16-19mpg that is in city driving. If freeway/city mixed, I'll get like no more than 20mpg average. Never got more than 250 miles on a tank of 11.6 gallons. My average would be 195-225 on 11.6 gallons. The car has about 11,800+ miles so far. Every thing seems to be fine, tire pressure, air filter, changed oil according to manual. But the thing is that I have been using synthetic motor oil ever since the first oil change. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back