Mopar HOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding my '01 Cherokee, 4.0, auto trans, 39k miles.

The coolant doesn't look that great, probably factory, but I usually at least drain and refill every year, so my standards are pretty tough. I want to flush and fill and the owners manual recommends Mopar HOAT. The coolant in the vehicle is green, sort of.

Can I use Prestone or other OTC anti-freeze?

Is Mopar HOAT a dex-cool type coolant?

Do you think the green coolant that's in it is the HOAT type?

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Sparkman:
Is Mopar HOAT a dex-cool type coolant?

Do you think the green coolant that's in it is the HOAT type?

If it's green, it has had regular antifreeze put in it at some point, if it originally came with G-05, which is the HOAT coolant that Chrysler uses. Mopar's G-05 is dyed an orange color that is almost the same as Dexcool, but this coolant is NOT compatible with Dexcool.

The only aftermarket G-05 coolant (other than Mopar) currently available is Zerex G-05, which is dyed a very light yellow—about the color of ordinary cooking oil. It's very difficult to see in the radiator recover tank, but at least it won't get mistaken for Dexcool.

You need to take your Jeep to a shop that can do a complete system flush. Get them to completely flush the system with distilled water, and then refill with a 50/50 mix of G-05 and distilled water. My shop did this for me on my Chrysler 300M. I supplied the G-05 and the six gallons of distilled water—four gallons used to completely purge the system of the old antifreeze, and the other two mixed with two gallons of G-05 for the refill.

Flushing certainly won't hurt but G-05 is compatible with conventional antifreeze. I switched to G-05 in my 98 Jeep grand cherokee. The G-05 will take on the color of even the small amount of residual antifreeze in the block after draining (The block drain plug is near impossible to remove). Even though I refilled with G-05 solution the color of the antifreeze looked almost like the green antifreeze that used to be in there. Like so many members of this forum I'm not happy with anything less than perfect even though leaving well enough alone would have been fine. I drained and refilled with distilled water, ran with that for a couple of days then drained and refilled with G-05 mixture. Yeah, I wasted some perfectly good G-05 but what the heck!
The color of the antifreeze in the recovery bottle is almost clear.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back