Turtle Wax F21, review and question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Turtle Wax home page says this about F21:

"New nanotechnology formula provides a molecular bond of synthetic polymers to provide unsurpassed protection against UVA/UVB rays and other environmental contaminants. Blend of urethane polymers fills-in light surface scratches and swirl marks to provide a deep, rich, high gloss shine."

This describes a wax, not a polish. Turtle Wax is wrong to call F21 a "polish". The two are different. A polish cleans the surface and does not leave a coat on the surface. A wax does not clean the surface; it shines the surface and leaves a protective coat on the surface. If you decide to use a polish, it goes on before you wax. When you polish, you won't see the applicator or buffing cloth turn the color of the paint. Polish doesn't work that way.

I doubt you needed to clean (that is polish) a two month old paint job, so since F21 is really a wax, you're ok.

Yes, you can layer wax, but in my opinion you don't need to. All you need to shine and leave a protective coat is a thin coat of wax. A second coat may help, but constantly waxing when the prior coat of wax has not worn off is a waste of time and wax. This is not a case of "if a little is good, a lot is better".

Some companies made a product that they claim both cleans and waxes. I'd stay away from cleaner waxes. They won't do either very well. Some companies also make what they call a cleaner. This is the same thing, and does the same thing, as a polish.

I got my car repainted at earl scheib for $240 with a 6 year warranty. The old paint was badly oxidized and the car is 13 years old, so I didn't want to spend $$ on a good job and anything would have looked better than the old stuff. It actually looks good from 10' or farther away.

Anyways I wanted a cheap wax/polish for my car, and after waiting a couple months, finally waxed it this weekend before the rain headed our way. I clayed the car first and then applied the F21 liquid(~$4-5 at pep boys). Was easy to apply and buff off and did not leave white residue on any trim although I didn't get much on the trim. Also no dusty white flakes like some other low end waxes. The surface is now very slick and the water beads well. There was no blue coming off on the cloth, so it seems like this is not a cleaner wax or polish at all (which I wanted). The shine and gloss are only average and I know that a $10 OTC higher end polish/wax would have worked better.

The reason I wanted to try F21 is that it was the lowest priced product I could find that listed "polymers" and had a chance of hiding minor imperfections compared to a straight carnuba wax. A search also found people who said it protected for quite a while, although didn't have the best shine/gloss.

Here's my question: since it doesn't seem to clean or polish at all and contains "polymers" of some sort, can this be layered? I don't wanna do another coat and just remove the old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back