whats up with california timing belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
take a mazda miata for instance. for the california miata, it gets a 105,000 mile timing belt service interval. for miatae in the other 49 states, they require a 60,000 mile service interval.

i notice this on other cars too, not just mazda.

so, is there something special about a timing belt made for a california car or what is the deal. can cars that were originally registered in the 49 states and require a 60,000 belt interval also go 105,000 miles between timing belt changes?

why is cali so special? is there anything special about a cali timing belt or are they all the same?

I asked this question of my trusted independent Subaru shop when my WRX reached 60K. The 105K belt is indeed different than the standard belt, and will go the 105K with no problems. So, at least for Subaru, the belts are different. The shop only uses the California belt on all the repacements they do, as it is a better belt.

California requires emmisson related items to last longer than other the 49 states, thus the 105K requirement and separate part number.

Ed

So Subaru decided to pocket the 99 cents difference on a better belt for all the non-CA cars? Sounds like a terrible PR blunder.

Tosh,

I just checked my owner's manual, and the federal cars also call for 105K repacement. It would appear that Subaru switched all of their cars to 105K intervals when California required it. I don't know when that happened. My 1995 Outback required 60K replacement. It was a California equipped car.

Ed

Subaru changed the timing belts cord material to Kevlar? to increase belt life. One reson to ONLY use an OEM belt if you want the 105,000 mile interval.

Honda belts are not Kevlar nor or they stated for California or other states, they are to be changed at 105K across the board.

Interesting topic. Just went thru a belt replacement on our Audi 1.8T at 73K miles.
Audi recommends replacement at 105k miles, but there are too many instances of belt or tensioner failure in the 60-80k range. This was a big problem with 99 and earlier models that did not have an updated tensioner assembly.
So officially Audi sez 105K mile replacement, unofficially it's as soon after 60K miles or so. Unfortunately it's basically how you want to roll the dice to see how long the belt goes.
In this case as well, replacement OEM parts are the way to go.
Interesting that the 105K mile interval shows up for the different car mfg - the Audi uses a Contitech belt, wonder if it's the same brand for the others?

My Mitsu's have the same 105k interval for Cali and 60k for other states. They are 50state vehicles. There is no way that the Cali models have different belts.

It must be the good air.

I know the accessory belt on the Honda V6's, at least on our 02 from the factory, was a Mitsibishi (sp??) brand. I thought that was kind of strange. Anybody know anything about the belt tensioners on the V6 Accords? Do they need replacing once your "in" there???? Owners manual doesn't say anything about that nor do any of the Honda forums I've looked at in the past. Just replace belt and water pump while your in there.

Honda may say 105,000 miles for some cars. My 2000 Prelude has a 105,000 miles OR 6 years, whichever comes first, service recommendation. My 2000 Prelude just got it a couple of weeks ago at around 68,000 miles.

Subaru went across the line in ~1997 to 105,000 miles. Other makes followed in later years. Jee, my 1986 Saab had no change interval-Ops it was a roller chain running in oil and in my opinion that is the only way to go. I love my Suby though. Ed

i realise that some auto makers spec 105K intercals reguardless of which state you are in. but some didnt awalys do this. people with older cars espically need to know this type of info.

so does anyone have a definitive answer to the question : are cali belts and 49 state belts really different?

I don't think that they're any different b/c I bet you could not find a different P/N for a Cali vs. Non-Cali belt. When I buy my parts online do they send me the Cali belt b/c I live here? As stated above, I agree that it had to do with emissions warranty on parts that were longer for CA vs other states. They may now all be 105k warranty mandated federally, which is why new cars don't have 60k belt change intervals. Belt materials have also been getting better.
dunno.gif

Also the manuals I've seen that show replace at 60k for 49 states and 105k for Cali, say that the timing belt is to be inspected at 60k for Cali vehicles. If you're gonna inspect it you might as well change it. I went 80k and 90k on my timing belts on an interference engine and the 90k belt was showing some surface cracks. Not sure if I'll go that long again.

Good info. Oh man I just ordered OEM timing belts for my 96 and 00 Subarus. I ordered the 'federal' timing belts because I thought maybe the Cali belts had some kooky different timing or something to reduce emissions. Now I'm hoping the dealer actually sent the Cali belts instead of the federal belts.

-Louis
patriot.gif

There is no mystery here ... just the government.

Many states have a requirement stating NO major service is required on vehicles for 100,000 miles. So, the manual gets change to show belt replacement at 105,000. Same belt here in CO on my VW which states 105.

Mystery solved.

JKH

My 1998 Sportage, which uses a version of the Mazda FE DOHC engine, has the same timing belt change interval as Master Acid noticed on his Miata. 105K miles for CA vehicles and 60K miles for the other 49 states. However, it does state in the FSM that CA vehicles should have the belt inspected at 60K miles and 90K miles. Kia does provide a parts site. Http://www.kiausaparts.com and there is NO difference in the timing belt. It's the same part number for all states. Luckily the FE engine is a non-interference design so if the belt does break the valves and pistons don't get friendly with each other.

If a CA belt can replace a Fed belt, I'd not be surprised if they decided to only make the CA belt available as the replacement part. Part consolidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back