Wolverine Heater Vs Block Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
do it myself has an excellent point. Ideally we should warm both oil and block (or park in a heated garage). I checked mine one cold morning (I don't know how cold, somewhere bet 10 and 30 F most likely) and the pan was nice and warm, but upon startup I could feel a cold area where the oil draining off the block follows the pan back to the sump. Definitely a cooling effect, but in driving out every cold morning compared to driving from work after 9 hours WO the heater, I notice it starts a whole lot easier, oil pressure comes up faster and higher initially, and it drives a lot better. So the oil must not be cooling near as much as if it had never been heated. For my situation, the pan heater is enough, but if I lived in Alberta or somewhere similar in climate, probably would have the block heater too.

Seems to me that an oil heater by itself would not be better than a block heater by itself. Someone shoot some holes in my logic, please.

Think of the several hundred pounds of metal in your engine as a giant heat sink. As soon as your 100 degree(F) oil hits that 10 degree(F) huge heat sink,the oil will immediately drop vey low. Heat sinks are very efficient at disappating heat.

Now, imagine the entire heat sink warmed up to a respectable level (I don't know how much)with a block heater. When that small mass of cold oil hits that warmer, giant heat source, the oil will warm up almost immediately to the temperature of the giant metal mass.

Am I wrong? Again??? Of course, the best would be to use both. But wouldn't a block heater meet the objective by itself? Less wear, easier starting?

Thanks!

O.k. - savvy and Tall Paul,

You have wetted my curiosity on these pan heaters. I'm starting to come around.

I studied several manufacturers sites and they claim that the pan heaters are BETTER than coolant heaters. A Canadian firm that sells Wolverine states:

-oil temps will approach operating temps (160F)
-HEAT RISES - critical internal engine parts will warm also:pistons to 85F, coolant 20F warmer.

These sites state that coolant heaters CAN cause engine computers to operate incorrectly (not so with pan heater).

What do you say to these claims? Fancy marketing?
do you think engine warming is occuring.

Could un-even engine warming do damage to parts with critical clearances at start up?

Thanks for your input. My credit card is getting itchy and Wolverine is bookmarked! Even though I have made it thru 30 Michigan winters near "MOO U" without one.

quote:

-oil temps will approach operating temps (160F)
-HEAT RISES - critical internal engine parts will warm also:pistons to 85F, coolant 20F warmer.

I never felt mine got anywhere near to that. If it did my oil should not drain back cool after startup. Maybe they are using a higher wattage pad, but with a 6 quart system I am on the low end of the range for the 250 watt pad.

In much colder regions I would definitely think both pan and block heaters would work better.

Maybe someone with an oil temp gauge (sender mounted in the pan) and a heating pad can post the oil temp, pad wattage, sump size, ambient temp, and time plugged in.

doitmyself

Thanks for resurrecting a worthy topic, which is especially meaningful this time of year. I do believe that with a high temp heating pad, oil will indeed reach 160F. It's a matter of how cold the ambient temp is, and how well protected your pan~engine is from the wind.

Heat DOES rise. Warmer air has a lower density than the surrounding atmosphere, and therefore being a lower density, it will rise. I have a 185 watt heater, which will obviously warm the oil to a lower temperature than a higher rated pad. I like the idea of a lower watt pad, and I leave it plugged in 24/7 when I'm home~ less electricity. I even take a cord with me if I'm visiting friends during the winter, and plug my heater in for the stay.

When it's 30F for example, by guesstimating the temp of my pan by putting my hand on it, I would guess it's about 120F. In comparison, when it's cold out like today with a 10F temp not counting w/c my guesstimation is that the pan temp is around 100F. I checked my dip stick today, and the oil liberally runs off the stick. If my pan heater were unplugged, as is the case during the summer months, the oil will usually not run off the stick.

To summarize ;

I believe an oil pan heater IS another valuable tool to help an engine last longer and perform better in cold conditions.........again folks........it's my belief FWIW. Your pistons and other internal components will be warmer as a result of using a pan heater in comparison to letting your engine sit out in the cold. Once you've got a pan heater installed, you'll wonder why you never thought of it before. The key is to leave your heater plugged in 24/7, unless your driving down the road of course.

Even a low watt heater as I have, will constitute another worthy part in your arsenal to stave off the cold. Look at E TIP heaters before you make your decision. They make good stuff.

http://etipinc.com/specialty_heater.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back