Fram fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed a new fuel filter on my Cherokee, didn't notice it was fram until I had the old one off. Their fuel filters aren't as bad as the oil filters are they?

They do make a good air filter. I have used a fram fuel filter on my dodge/cummins before. I had to change it before 10,000 miles because i got a dirty tank of diesel and the engine didnt get enough fuel to go 50 mph. The filter did its job though. Dont sweat it.

Say what you want about Fram oil filters but I just sold a Dodge truck (I bought new) with a 318 Magnum with 289,000 miles on it. Engine never torn down, used NO oil, and never had any repairs beyond tune-ups. I also used that nasty, evil Quacker State oil in it.

Don't believe everything you hear.

quote:

Originally posted by Roadfrog:
Say what you want about Fram oil filters but I just sold a Dodge truck (I bought new) with a 318 Magnum with 289,000 miles on it. Engine never torn down, used NO oil, and never had any repairs beyond tune-ups. I also used that nasty, evil Quacker State oil in it.

Don't believe everything you hear.

I don't beleive everything I hear, but I do believe it when I see countless proof. Ever seen the inside of a fram filter? Yeah, that's the proof.
wink.gif
Just because one engine lasted a long time with it means nothing.

Roadfrog,

You're a newbie here and all, so I'll be nice with ya.

Some despise them and have had failures, many have ran them thousands of miles with no problems. Unlike other message boards, FACTS rule on this one (at least the large majority of the time), so for you to come in and make a blanket statement like that, without supporting fact, is irresponsible.

FACT: Simply stated, Fram oil filters are not constructed as well as any other mass-market widely available filter on the market, be it the less expensive SuperTech or a more expensive filter.

Will you ever have a failure with one? In regular passenger-car/light-truck service, 99.9% of the time, NO, you will not. I openly admit that many people call Fram filters all sorts of names and swear they are the devil reincarnated in a orange can, but as I eluded to, the issue us oil addicts have with the filter, is that for the same price, you can buy a filter that is constructed and performs much better.

FACT: You're right on the Quaker State oil. The sludging issue is from the mid 1970's and has absolutely nothing to do with the oils of today.
I've got $20 bucks that says the 318 was covered in a heavy layer of deposits and varnish though.
Being curious, what grade did you use in it?

I'll ditto the comments on the oil filters being crap, but I have actually had good luck with their other filters - air and fuel. In fact, I still use the Fram Air filter on my truck as it does its job just fine.

Heck, if you even change the fuel filter, regardless of brand, you're ahead of the game!

I put the Fram fuel filter ,for the Ford truck, back on the peg at Wally Mrt the other day and went and bought the Purolator at the local auto store only because the Fram said 'made in China' and the Purolator was 'made in USA'. But that's just me. The older Fram air and fuel filters were fine.

I don't see much wrong with the Fram air filters(in my application) but NAPA has them for 50 cents more. I'll go with a brand I can trust. Same thing for fuel filters.

-T

Roadfrog, When i bought my 86 ramcharger i was told only qs had been put in it and the oil was changed every 3 grand. I had to replace the oil pan gasket and i figured the pan would be full of junk. Pulled it off and it was super clean inside. Jelly, any dino oil is going to leave varnish and or deposits inside any engine especially at 289,000 miles. 318's are awesome.

quote:

Originally posted by greasezerk:
Roadfrog, When i bought my 86 ramcharger i was told only qs had been put in it and the oil was changed every 3 grand. I had to replace the oil pan gasket and i figured the pan would be full of junk. Pulled it off and it was super clean inside. Jelly, any dino oil is going to leave varnish and or deposits inside any engine especially at 289,000 miles. 318's are awesome.

Roadfrog,

What I was referring to is when you take the valvecover off of a high-mileage engine that has spent its life on a PCEO (be it a 5w-30 or 20w-50), the entire top end of the engine (valvetrain and head itself) is covered in a dark brown "varnish".

Sure, all oils will leave amounts of varnish and deposits in an engine, but take the valvecover off of a gas engine that has spent its life on a HDEO, and I bet you'll see next to nothing (give the engine was taken care of and oil changed on a decent interval).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back