Schaeffers All Trans Supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if this ATF oil is OK in a 4R100 automatic Powerstroke tranny whic requires Mercon ONLY and NO dual Mercon/Mercon V fluids.
PSnut

I've seen that data before but some folks think it being dual rated Mercon/Mercon V is a no no.
There's a poston the FTE on ATF and fear of the
dual rating. I recomended the Schaeffer ATF to a member since i'll be switching over to Schaeffer
oils soon.
Thoughts?
PSnut

Brians Truck Shop rebuilds the 4R100 and the E4OD at a cost of $4K each. He builds the trans the same if you are pulling, dragging or normal work. 2 year warranty. He only uses Schaeffer's ATF.

I had to have my trans in my 95 (E40D) pulled because of slippage and a noise at 70K. Let me give the history on this trans, At 20K, changed it to Amsoil ATF. Ran this for a couple changes. Then went to Mobil 1 Full Syn. Not sure how many miles on Mobil 1, but not many. This tranny runs about 120-155 degrees depending on towing or empty.

When my transmission was torn down, a snap ring was out of the groove allowing slop and noise and slippage. The clutches still had the printing on them. This trans had been Auto-Rxed prior to switching to Mobil 1. Absolutely sterile looking. Cleaner than new. No metal in the pan, no garbage in the pan. Clean, period.

The trans was rebuilt to prevent this from happening again. It now has Schaeffer's ATF in it.

A couple of things that I learned on auto-trans.
First, don't worry about them running to cool. If they are warm enough to shift into overdrive that is sufficient.
Second, downshifting out of over drive does not cause wear. I do it constantly. In fact if you ride with me, you would think I had a manual. Absolutely no wear on the trans from doing this.

My observations and opinions only.

Brians Truck Shop and Schaeffer's ATF

quote:

Originally posted by PSNut:
Was wondering if this ATF oil is OK in a 4R100 automatic Powerstroke tranny whic requires Mercon ONLY and NO dual Mercon/Mercon V fluids.
PSnut

if you have your original 4R100 or a Ford Reman, then I'd suggest not using any fluid with a dual Mercon & Mercon-V rating. Now if you have a rebuild such as vetteman with his BTS tranny, it's up to the builder to say if Mercon-V is ok. In his case, Brian (BTS) builds his tranny's to not have the Mercon-V issue that plagues OEM 4R100s. Considering that almost all synthetic ATF is going to the Mercon-V rating, I'd recommend Molakule's Autoglide from his company www.specialtyformulations.com .

Hammer

Our 204sat is a very underated fluid on this board... This is an excellent fluid for many apps.

Will it work in a ZF manual tranny for Powerstroke applications? This transmission is specified to use synthetic ATF. The owner's manual says to use Ford Mercon ATF. It does not say which Mercon though, because Ford brands their as a syn. manual transmission fluid even though it is a syn. ATF. Go figure . . .

I'm currently running AMSOIL ATF which is superior in performance to Ford's very, very expensive syn. ZF 5 speed tranny oil. I'd like to try Schaeffer's if it would meet spec., or if it at least would work well in my transmission.

Following a conversion from a 2 piece flywheel/clutch to a single piece FW/Cltch, I'm fighting a cold shift into 2nd gear and an almost impossible downshift, again, into 2nd gear -- even when at operating temperatures. (No tranny problems prior to the conversion!)

Thanks,
Bob A.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob A.:
Will it work in a ZF manual tranny for Powerstroke applications? This transmission is specified to use synthetic ATF. The owner's manual says to use Ford Mercon ATF. It does not say which Mercon though, because Ford brands their as a syn. manual transmission fluid even though it is a syn. ATF. Go figure . . .

I'm currently running AMSOIL ATF which is superior in performance to Ford's very, very expensive syn. ZF 5 speed tranny oil. I'd like to try Schaeffer's if it would meet spec., or if it at least would work well in my transmission.

Following a conversion from a 2 piece flywheel/clutch to a single piece FW/Cltch, I'm fighting a cold shift into 2nd gear and an almost impossible downshift, again, into 2nd gear -- even when at operating temperatures. (No tranny problems prior to the conversion!)

Thanks,
Bob A.

The manual tranny does not have a dual rated prohibition on it. So as long as it meets the Mercon spec, then it is allowed. Now, I am a Schaeffer's fan and have bought close to $600 or so of Schaeffer's products in teh past year. That being said, I think specialty formulations MTFglide is a better choice when it comes to manual transmission use. Insteda of using a Meron rated ATF, which is a comprimise, the MTFglide has the same viscosity as ATF but has a additive and FM pack that ie explicity tailored for Manual tranny's that call for ATF. But If you do want to stick with ATF, then I'm all aboard the Schaeffer's 204sat freight train.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Our 204sat is a very underated fluid on this board... This is an excellent fluid for many apps.

I agree 110% with this statement. I just don't agree with using it for an OEM 4R100.

Hammer

Hammer said:

"I think specialty formulations MTFglide is a better choice when it comes to manual transmission use. Insteda of using a Meron rated ATF, which is a comprimise, the MTFglide has the same viscosity as ATF but has a additive and FM pack that ie explicity tailored for Manual tranny's that call for ATF. But If you do want to stick with ATF, then I'm all aboard the Schaeffer's 204sat freight train."

Thanks for your response, Hammer.

Bob A.

I'm quite pleased with #204 ALL TRANS SUPREME. Two vehicles (JEEP Aisin-Warner 4 and DODGE 46RE) with over 70,000 miles of combined use. (Annual service; 20-25,000 mile use; both vehicles with auxiliary coolers & filters).

RoyalPurple/Neo/BG/Torco/.... have other MTFs for manuals that require ATF.

I think that the dualrated Frod issue is overhyped. The only issue that I've seen is with Fords OWN Motorcraft Mercon-V. Yep, for a while Ford sold Mercon-V that couldn't be used in all Mercon-V transmissions. Hows that for F&*king up??
There were also several Mercon-V only fluids that weren't backwards compatible with the requirements of Mercon or Dexron. This isn't much an issue anymore.

Get a VB mod or shiftkit and quit worrying about the fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back