Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
This brake fluid has been around for years and meets DOT 3 and 4. LMA stands for: low moisture activity. Harder to find today then in past years. Has a 509 degree boiling point. Just bought some from pep boys. I plan on flushing the brake fluid on my 02 nissan sentra ser specv.

Yep, been using for my brake rebuilds and line flushes for years. Good stand-by stuff, if you asked me. However, I have been tempted to try Motul's fluid too........

Cheers,
Ashley

If you are going to spend the big bucks on Motul, might as well give ATE fluid a try. ATE superblue is pretty nifty.

I use Valvoline Synpower Brake Fluid which I believe is similar to Castrol LMA, but available at Advance Auto and other retailers in my area.

I'm not a fan of the plastic containers though, since it means that I can't store it for long (b/c of moisture absorption). Any fluid worth it's mettle would be sold in a metal can (in a perfect world that is).

I can't seem to find castrol's wet boiling point.

I know that Valvoline is:
Dry: 503 F
Wet: 343 F

ATE super (blue or gold TYP200) is not advised for clutch systems, I've recently read of slave and master cylinder failuers on racing cars that run ATE super in their hydraulic clutch systems. For clutches, I think valvoline syn is just as good as any.

ATE super is just fine in most all braking systems, however. Some brake fluids (mostly high performance race fluids) are not compatible with the metals (magnesium comes to mind) present in some braking systems.

As for the plastic bottle thing, castrol SRF, the stuff that costs $70 a bottle, now comes in plastic bottles; they used to come in metal ones.

I like valvoline myself, have it in all the cars and not a problem yet. I would like to try the ATE blue for the sake of easy flushing because of its blue color.

as for Castrol LMA: DOT 3/4 446D 311W
valvoline: Synthetic 513D 333W
ATE Super Blue Racing: 536D 392W

brake fluids

Castrol LMA is some pretty stout stuff, at least in my limited testing. As a motocross fanatic, and rider, the rear brake is used not only to slow down, but to change the attitude of the bike in the air, and also to drag through corners while accelerating to load the suspension, and keep the bike from climbing out of ruts. "Normal" brake fluids just dont last long, and turn a dark color really quick from the heat they are exposed to in the rear brake. I tried the expensive fluids from Motul, and Maxima, and did although found them very good, the LMA performs as well for much less money.
I can also echo the ATE quality, but the neatest thing about that fluid is that it comes in two different colors,gold,and blue. No doubt about whether you have all of the old fluid out of your brake system, car, truck or bike, when doing a flush. When the color changes, you know the line, and cylinder are full of the new fluid. A pressure bleeder, some aquarium air hose, a bottle and new fluid, and I can flush and bleed an about 15 minutes, and know its all new fluid.
Just my .02 .

I use the ATE Super blue and alternate fluid type for the color change indicator.

It is a great fluid. I noticed that the breaking is much firmer.

Castrol GT-LMA Dot 4 is in many British and European applications, and is often the ONLY fluid acceptable in the brakes and hydraulic clutch systems. The composition of this particular brake fluid will not harm the natural rubber seals (as opposed to synthetic rubber of today) found in older (70's and 80's) European hydraulics, such as Jaguar, MG, Aston, and of course, my 1982 DeLorean.

If a DMC owner flushes his brakes with anything but GTLMA, within a year or two the master cylinder will be seeping. Guaranteed. Not a single DMC vendor or service center uses anything but the Castrol. Very popular with Jaguar clubs as well.

Just some extra info to throw in.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back