pantyhose as prefilter(yes i'm serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have used these for years and it definately keeps a paper filter cleaner longer. it has to be a stretch fit on the filter. they are easily cleaned also.

also works good for a dryer filter if you vent it itto the house, i'm glad someone took me serious. off topic.... my bro lived on ocean after college and worked for rockwell and we used to live it up on the strip and the pier going home only to sleep!

Interesting. My homemade pre-filters are the filters meant to cover the HVAC floor vents in houses. Got them at Lowes. They are white and you can tell when they get dirty and they can be handwashed and re-used.

Pre-filter --- It's before the air-filter, so unless it sucks through the air filter it can't get into your engine.

Finally an excuse to buy pantyhose.

"No honey, they are for the car!"

Isn't pantyhose pretty restrictive? And what's the point in keeping a filter cleaner longer?
dunno.gif

Yeah, they don't flow all that well.

For me it was about keeping the water out. And I don't leave them on all the time. When crossing a stream that's deeper than your tires max air flow is less of a concearn than hyrdrolocking a motor.

Get an outerwear prefilter that's been coated to be waterproof. Only lasts a year though (the coating)

quote:

For me it was about keeping the water out. And I don't leave them on all the time. When crossing a stream that's deeper than your tires max air flow is less of a concearn than hyrdrolocking a motor.

Well, I didn't know you were fording streams. How about one of them snorkel intakes?

They don't make snorkels for every vehicle. And to make one myself is a pain, it would be hard to do it without cutting up the truck and the intake. Then I would have to return to stock for smog checks or to sell it.

I don't do it all that often.

I recall that in Gulf War 1 that the diesel air intakes of the Abrahams tanks had pantyhose material held in place by a big hose clamp. This was to keep the coarser sand and debris out of the air filter, and it could be more easily serviced.

Ive been using them on my fans for my computer for years. If you really wanted to do it right, cut more holes in your air box, then buy some xxxl and stretch over entire box.

Guess the panty hose can be used to prefilter the K&N cone filters as well to stop the big stuff like bugs and such.

K&N makes their own prefilters and drychargers.

BTW: Pantyhose also works as an excellent prefilter on your shop vac. I read this somewhere, and have been using it for years on my Craftman wet/dry shop vac. "Honey, don't throw away those hose"...I have a stash of them in my garage -- hopefully no one will ever see them:)

Yea, I had to pull some interesting stuff out as well.

Most of the cleaning and recharging job with the K&N is getting rid of the big stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back