What is Chrysler Material Specification 6395 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone here. I have been reading posts here for hours and I am just getting more and more confused. I have two questions I am hoping some one can help me with.

I just purchased a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with a 5.7 Hemi engine in it. The owners manual calls for API certified oil but it must also meet DimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395 specifications.

SO question one is: What is MS6395 and where can I find a list of oils that meet or exceed it?

My second question is what 10-30 oil do you recomend for this 5.7 Hemi engine. I will be doing the 3k oil changes to keep my warranty in effect so I dont want to waste my money on synthetic oil at this point.

Thanks to everone in advance for help me on this
Bob.

patriot.gif

[ August 18, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: JetMac ]

MS6395 = SJ/SL. The MS is for 'Military Standard'

also, for the 3k oil changes, they are not required to keep a vehicle in warrenty. This board has planty of info on that, and very good info on 'best' dino oils. i think you will find that Castrol and Pennzoil top the list for 'dino' oils.
and if you have not already been told:

welcome.gif

[ August 18, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Tim H. ]

Military specifications (MILSPEC) numbers look something like this: MIL-46152E

MS-6395 is Daimler-Chrysler's spec, and what oil it refers to depends on the suffix--J, or G, or H, or whatever your's is listed as.

JetMac, exactly where in your owner's manual does it say that you're required to change your oil at 3000 miles for warranty protection? What are the oil change interval recommendations for that engine? Did one of the sleazeballs at the stealership tell you to pay them to change your oil every 3k, or they'd void your warranty...if so, get it in writing--they won't do it, because they know just enough to usually avoid writing down lies. They probably use the cheapest bulk 5w-30 oil they can get, anyway.

Ken

Older "MS" specs were just that -Military Standard. this meaning that the item could be used for a military purpose if bought on an economy when Military-packaged item was unavailable.

Chevron Supreme has been turning in some good numbers lately. The best part is that it is only a $1 a quart at Walmart! It has a really good additive package for a dino OTC oil!! I have just under 3000 miles on my oil 10W30 Chevron Supreme and it is just starting to turn a light golden honey color and by light I mean very light. THe engine runs smooth and it has not burnt a drop even with all of my 6000 RPM runs. I normaly shift at 3000-4000 RPM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back