Who makes WIX/NAPA Pro Select (FAQ Sticky update)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just wrong. These parts guys (especially NAPA) are so condescending if you even think of using something they don't consider the best.

Just look at the Pro Select construction. It looks exactly like a Gold. Same exact design except a black ADBV instead of silicone and most probably a lower grade media. Definitely also made by Wix. Same Wix style bypass.

Wix makes/or provides all the NAPA filters. And yes we do retool, as necessary, the assembly lines to do so.

Let the argument begin.

Just to avoid the inevitable counters here, Pete, let's qualify that to read "..all NAPA BRAND filters". The local NAPA is also a local Penzoil distributor and also offers Penzoil (fram) oil filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
Wix makes/or provides all the NAPA filters. And yes we do retool, as necessary, the assembly lines to do so.

Let the argument begin.

This is what I "thought" I "knew". A structural change as drastic as the local NAPA guy claimed would raise havoc on most production lines, with significant re-tooling.

I am making the assumpting that "pro select" are the old "silver" and the "silver" is structurally the same as the "gold" but with selected material changes. Thus the "pro select" is structurally the same as the "gold" but with selected material changes.

Is this still true?

quote:

I'll make it real simple.

The more the MSRP is, the better they are.

You mean, with regard to everything made by Wix.

It still is not that clear to me. Are you saying that the filter media is different for every differently priced filter? Or there is some aspect of the filter that is better as the price goes up?

by way of disclosure, I have converted my Studebaker, VW, Kubota, GMC, and Toyota to Wix, NAPA Gold, so my question was mostly academic. Just curious!

I apologize for the erroneous response you received. The NAPA ProSelect line is what we call a value or price line. It is designed to meet minimum performance standards and be a low cost product. It contains a minimum amount of plain cellulose media that offers average efficiencies and capacities. This product is designed for the price conscious consumer.

Our Gold line, on the other hand, is a premium product designed with maximum performance in mind. It contains an ideal amount of premium, blended, high performance media with great capacities and efficiencies. The Gold line is truly a high-end filtration product. There is a huge difference between the way these filters perform.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Chris Greeson
Senior Technical Service Manager

and

The "Silver" line has been re-named NAPA ProSelect.

The WIX brand and the NAPA Gold are both premium filters of identical design and performance.

Chris Greeson
Senior Technical Service Manager

Was at my favorite NAPA, and got their explanation of what is "Pro Select". First Gold is the same as WIX top of the line. To explain "Pro Select" they pointed to their "cut apart Fram" display, and said, "like that."

Here is my question,

WHO MAKES ProSelect for WIX? It makes little sense in terms of re-tooling that WIX makes both.

and Could someone update the FAQ sticky to reflect this?

quote:

Originally posted by zimmerDN:
What about Napa Nascar Select? Where would that fall into?

That is my question also
smile.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
Right smack in the middle!

ok, ok,
I have bought three flavors of FRAM, one of ST, and 3 flavors of NAPA. Depending on time and business trips, I will have them cut apart with photos for your entertainment.

You could help by telling me if a simple use of a hack saw a reasonable approach for the home neophyte without a commercial setup.

thanks!

Hack saws work but are messy and time consuming. I haven't heard of anybody trying it, but a tailpipe cutter (chain cutter) would probably work nicely. And I just happened to find out that you can borrow one (#27045) from Autozone in their loaner tool program.

I'm an idiot, I borrowed that tool over the weekend to change a muffler and forgot to try it on an oil filter before returning it... even though I changed the oil, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back