What is this "fleece" filter used by Mercedes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since MB requires the use of their fleece filters for extended drains, I'm assuming this is some sort of high performance filter. Does the "fleece" describe the type of element used? Something like cotton wadding versus pleated paper?

quote:

G-Man II:

Since MB requires the use of their fleece filters for extended drains, I'm assuming this is some sort of high performance filter. Does the "fleece" describe the type of element used? Something like cotton wadding versus pleated paper?

The two OEM suppliers for Mercedes are Hengst and Mann+Hummel. Mann+Hummel announced long-life filters about five years ago for Mercedes, Audis, and a couple of others.

I can't find an article on them on their website but I did find one on their related fleece technology for air filters:

http://www.mann-hummel.com/company/index.html?iKeys=3.1.176.0.0&cScr=23&rec_no=250

"n the field of air filtration, MANN+HUMMEL has widened the range of options available to vehicle manufacturers through offering innovative high performance air filters using new fleece technology. The fleece filter media MICROGRADE N supplied by the development partner and original equipment supplier to the international automotive industry achieves up to 50% higher dust capacity, compared with cellulose-based filters of the same size. The filter takes up 35% less space without any reduction in service life."

"Ludwigsburg, 12th November 2004 – As filtration technology has to meet increasingly stringent demands, more and more air filters now contain synthetic fibre filter media. This trend was outlined by R+D experts from MANN+HUMMEL at the Filtrex Trade Fair in Munich (26th - 27th October 2004). The automotive industry demands improved filtration efficiency, more compact design, higher dust capacity and longer service intervals. For this, fleece filters provide an ideal alternative to cellulose media."

".... The fleece filter media developed by MANN+HUMMEL is entirely made up of polyester fibres between 5 and 22 microns in diameter. It has a gradient structure, with the width of the fibres increasing towards the clean air side. This structure provides higher dust capacity, compared with conventional paper media. Dust particles are absorbed throughout the whole fleece (“deep bed filtration”); with paper filters, on the other hand, contaminants are mainly trapped on the flow side."

"MICROGRADE N has another important characteristic - it has much higher initial separation (ie: filtration performance in new condition) than cellulose media. In MANN+HUMMEL road trials, the filter elements with MICROGRADE N achieved up to 150% longer service life (service interval) than comparable cellulose media under practical conditions."

"MICROGRADE N maintains its superior filtration performance, even under humid conditions and in rain. With fleece - unlike paper filters - penetrating moisture only leads to a slight increase in pressure loss, and there is no deformation of the filter pleats. There is another advantage, too: no resin impregnation is required to stabilize the synthetic fibres, so the energy-consuming curing process is superfluous. The flame-retardant properties of the fleece filter media meet the DIN 53438 standard without further additives, as the basic material is polyester."

This sounds much like the material used in the now discontinued Delco UltraGuard Gold oil filters made by Champion, which was matted rather than woven and retained in place by a screen backup, and the felting Denso used in some of their Toyota filters, like the 90915-10003 for 4 cylinders.

You'll note Mann+Hummel indicates the material is made by their OEM partner, so I assume this technology is available from media manufacturers who sell to the other filter manufacturers.

In another post I mentioned that I have a FRAM CH9301 filter made for a Dodge Sprinter. It's a cartridge type made by MANN filters in Germany. The Sprinters are designed for 10K OCI, but the oil life monitor allows you to go even higher. One of my OCI went to about 16K before the computer told me to change the oil. When I removed the old filter it still looked good.

The filters are well made and are evenly spaced, however, they don't look any different than the elements of other filters like M1 or Pureone's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back