Champion labs responded to my email

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ran across a few negative comments about supertech filters after switching to that brand via advise from people on this board. I was confussed to read that a gentleman did a study on this board [many disageed with him though] and said to stay away from supertech, stp and bosch filters. As you can imagine i was a bit thrown by the comments as i was told as i stated earlier about the supertech being a solid filter that was both economical and surpassed many other more expensive filters in filtration and oil flow. I possed this question to Champion labs via there web site and the following is there response:

QUESTION:
I would like to ask if you manufacture supertech filters? I just switched
to tham and then i read an article that says they are one of the worst filters
availible. I am not sure that is true as i havent had any problems so far
[2000 miles so far] An article i saw on a website
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

they say that the media is very poor and that the bypass doesnt work like
it should. I only ask because i have a hard time believing that every
filter has a failed bypass [supertech ]
I hav a buick skylark [94] with a 3.1 v6 in it and it is very important to
me as it is my work car and i depend on it greatly. the other article said
that your claims on filtration 98 % is false as is the particle size it is
picking up. They state 20 microns [size] is allowed to pass but most
harmful particles are 15 microns to 10 microns in size [this is what i believe was to be harmful although i may be mistaken].

All i am asking is this. Is there a problem with the supertech for my model
? and can you send me some data so i can pass on to my friends who suggested me to switch to this product.

Thank you,

Lee
Submit=Submit
[email protected]

ANSWER:
Champion Laboratories, Inc. does manufacture the Super Tech oil filter line
sold through Wal-Mart. Champion Laboratories is located in Albion, IL. with
manufacturing plants located in Albion and West Salem, IL., York, SC., and
Saltillo, Mexico.

Champion Laboratories, Inc. is a supplier of original equipment filters to
many of the original equipment vehicle manufacturers, which includes Ford,
GM, Porsche, and Volkswagen. Champion also manufactures number of O.E.
replacement brands and premium types of filters.

The Super Tech oil filter line is a premium line of filters. The filtration
media (paper) used in the Super Tech oil filters is rated at a 20 micron
particle size. Champion utilizes metal end caps on top and bottom of the
filter element. The element is glued completely to the end caps and the end
pleats are glued completely from top to bottom. This procedure does not
allow any openings in the element that will allow unfiltered oil to pass.
The Super Tech oil filters are manufactured following strict quality
guidelines to ensure that only the highest quality filters be sent to our
customers.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel
free to contact our Filter Hotline.

Thank you.

Dale Hayes
Technical Assistance
Representative
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

Now that's customer service. I think a few other companies could take note here and improve their relations with the consumer.

Thanks for contacting them! Great info.
smile.gif

I thought it was really great that they answered my question less than 24 hrs or so. the only thing i wish that they would have sent was some additional technical data but as i stated i switched to supertech and althoug i only have 2000 miles on this filter [actually its closser to 1600] i have not experienced any leaking or drop in oil preassure at all.

I will let you all know when i do my 3000 change what the oil looks like.

GM, Porsche, and Volkswagen.

Who cares, those are made to different specs. All these companies manufacture a cheap to great product, problem is knowing what you are getting for the money. However, in the case of filters, assuming that they do not fall apart during use, IMO it makes no difference, they no longer perform a useful function other then perhaps catastophic failure due to some very very large particles being circulated which is unlikely in todays engines and todays oils.

How can this be, "The Super Tech oil filter line is a premium line of filters," and they retail them for $2 or $3? The manufacturing cost of these filters must be about .75¢!

If the ST filters are premium, I wonder how Champ Labs describes the Bosch Premium, K&N, or Mobil 1 oil filters they make?...super premium and super-duper premium?

If I need a cheap filter, oil change before selling a car, etc., I'll buy an ST. If I'm going to keep the car, I'll spend a couple of bucks more for a WIX or other filter.

Ken

Believe it or not, such a thing is possible is if the scheduling department uses dead time, overruns on raw materials, or just to even out the production schedule. You can sell stuff pretty cheap if the alternative is letting the guys stand around and the machines stand idle. This particularly holds for a volume buyer like Walmart who is in a position to absorb what you make.

I'm sure Champion is much like other companies that do OEM products. You tell them what you want and how much you want to pay, they come up with a filter that meets your requirements. That's why all the Champion filters seem to be "almost identical but not quite..."

Thay even do it within the same brand. I noticed STP for instance has 2 replacements for a Motorcraft FL-1A that appear to be quite different even though they are both made in USA by Champion labs from what I could tell...

You said that "how can this be it probibly costs .75 to make " Your probibly a bit high on that estimation. I am a raw materials broker that procures large amounts of materials of all sorts to many differant company's. For example i can purchase in "bi ton units" weights for a company [this is the last purchase i made for a tier 1 automotive manufacturer in michigan] for a fraction of the cost you could buy it for.

This is one way i do it. A company will come to the firm i work for and say we need graphite fiber [ usually called GFX1 it is a combination graphite fiberglass that is usually pressed into a sheet or a form/ mold/ dye for differant car and motorcycle parts, also popular for skate boads manuf. and surfboards] . I look up all the company's we deal with that use that material and figure out the monthly/weekly usage then tally that number and go to the company that refines the above material and buy huge amounts and a much lower cost. for example you buy a ton of it for 44,322.00 i can buy it in quant for about 30,000.00.

I checked with a company that manufactures filters and my contact told me they can make a filter for about .54 cents and belive me your paying 5.00 and up for the same filter guarenteed so its not just champion labs that does this its across the board in every product.

And i still havent seen any diffinative proof that a given filter is better than the other just certain ones are constructed more solid. I seem to find that it is to the descretion of the individual who uses a certain brand that they are happy with or more comfertible purchasing because of marketing in comercials. believe me everthing they say isnt true or can be twisted. from what i have read here is this. Media is key some filter 20 microns some filter to 10 microns but i have read allot on here that anything less than 20 in not potentially harmfull. Again this is just my observation

As far as bang for your buck, i also supply a famous shoe manufacturer with materials and i buy my shoes right from them at there cost plus shipping [a perk of this field at times
smile.gif
] i spent 11.00 usd for a pair of tennis shoes that are sold for 88.00 in most stores. So sometimes and i know this for a fact its not quality your buying its the name on the side of the shoe, filter or anything else.

So until i see definative proof that supertech are inferior by an independant lab that run both filtration tests and flow tests with all veriables presant and they say that the valve in them are faulty as was stated in one thread i refuse to believe that because one brand costs 2x's as much its 2x's as efficent i will stick with my walmart brand filter.

Ok, done ranting
phone.gif

quote:

So until i see definative proof that supertech are inferior by an independant lab that run both filtration tests and flow tests with all veriables presant and they say that the valve in them are faulty as was stated in one thread i refuse to believe that because one brand costs 2x's as much its 2x's as efficent i will stick with my walmart brand filter.

Ditto. I'm with this guy.
smile.gif

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I believe that ST can match any other filter for less than 4 bucks. I believe that there are better filters available, but you will pay a much higher price for them. And for the record, I do NOT use ST filters on my own vehicles.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by waldo1:
that the bypass doesnt work like
it should. I only ask because i have a hard time believing that every
filter has a failed bypass [supertech ]
I hav a buick skylark [94] with a 3.1 v6 in it and it is very important to
me as it is my work car and i depend on it greatly.

Your filter doesn't need or have a bypass-so that won't be an issue
grin.gif
grin.gif
For what its worth-I think it's a decent filter. I'm addicted to K&N's though (of course made by Campion
lol.gif
)

I ran one on my wife's Sunbird and the oil was cleaner in appearance versus the AC I had been using. I think they are a great filter for the money.

quote:

Originally posted by waldo1:
ANSWER:
Champion Laboratories, Inc. does manufacture the Super Tech oil filter line
sold through Wal-Mart. Champion Laboratories is located in Albion, IL. with
manufacturing plants located in Albion and West Salem, IL., York, SC., and
Saltillo, Mexico.

GM, Porsche, and Volkswagen. Champion also manufactures number of O.E.
replacement brands and premium types of filters.

The Super Tech oil filter line is a premium line of filters. The filtration
media (paper) used in the Super Tech oil filters is rated at a 20 micron
particle size. Champion utilizes metal end caps on top and bottom of the
filter element. The element is glued completely to the end caps and the end
pleats are glued completely from top to bottom. This procedure does not
allow any openings in the element that will allow unfiltered oil to pass.
The Super Tech oil filters are manufactured following strict quality
guidelines to ensure that only the highest quality filters be sent to our
customers.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel
free to contact our Filter Hotline.

Thank you.

Dale Hayes
Technical Assistance
Representative
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

Gentalman, They do says it is rated at 20 micron size but I still don't see their answer to harmful particles being 15 to 10 microns!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I have said it before, and I will say it again. I believe that ST can match any other filter for less than 4 bucks. I believe that there are better filters available, but you will pay a much higher price for them. And for the record, I do NOT use ST filters on my own vehicles.
grin.gif

sbc350,
I wanted to comment on your post, but before I do that, I wanted to say that I am NOT arguing your post or saying otherwise....I just want to bring a couple of points to light for discussion.

ok, the ST is $1.99 and the Mobil 1 is $10.99. Now, what makes the Mobil filter better?

-It filters smaller particles! Yes it does, but some of us here believe that this might not necessarily be a good thing. Such filtration might actually reduce oil flow at WOT, which in turn "might" be worse than having a filter rated at 50 microns

-The Mobil filter has a thicker shell for added burst strength. This is something that may not be needed for the average Joe....if needed at all by anyone. Your average filter has a burst strength of more than 400 psi....but believe me, you will never burst a filter....you'll burst all your seals way before that happens. So what's the benefit of having a tougher shell? Maybe, just "maybe" for vehicles with an exposed filter, this might give you some puncture insurance....but you might rip off the entire filter before you puncture it.

-More pleats? Who cares?! If an oil filter removes 98% of particles that are 20 microns or bigger, I could care less if it has one pleat.

Now, when you say there are better filters out there, what do you base that on? What is "better" on the other filters.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable running Fram's because of the end cap issues....I would just be scared all the time; but in the case of the ST filter and it cousins, they are well built, meet set standards and are cheap. What does Amsoil, Balwind and those other brands offer that ST doesn't

I'm gonna jump on waldo's bandwagon. The only price difference in most other "high tech" filters, if not ALL is just the name and nothing but the name.
Rick

Gentalman, They do says it is rated at 20 micron size but I still don't see their answer to harmful particles being 15 to 10 microns!!!!!!

I was refering to posts that i have read on this board on more than one occation. I am not saying supertech are the best filters in the world i was just showing that allot of times and in allot of cases doesnt mean its better. Also i know this is true in all products as for most products there are genaric "like " products that are made from similair or even the same material but cost a third the price. For example you pay 88.00 for a pair of the most popular shoes on the planet i pay there cost of 11.00 i can go get a look alike brand that has the same materials as the 88.00 item i know this because i broker the same materials to both companies and i pay 13-15 for the off brand or generic brand only differance is the name.

It does not say what the filtering efficiency is with 20 um particles. 50%?...that would be expected. 98.5%...unlikely. In any case, you need to know both the size particles captured and the filtering efficiency for that size particle.

Ken

quote:

How can this be, "The Super Tech oil filter line is a premium line of filters," and they retail them for $2 or $3? The manufacturing cost of these filters must be about .75¢!

Would you be much happier if they charge you more.
smile.gif

Last Z, In answer to your statements. There are filters with better effiency. If we trust Bob's initial filter tests, then amsoil flows very well and filters down to 8-10 microns. AC-delco ultraguard gold, and maybe the PF35L, would be in the same class. There are probably better filters for extended drains. There was a statement posted by champion, saying that the supertech was designed for 3k intervals. The cases of some filters are strongers as well (as you stated). I think that the silcone used for the adbv in some models in superior to the nitrile used in supertechs.

The question is..........how much does all that mean to you. With normal 3k OCI's, on normal daily drivers, I don't see any proof that any filter will provide any significant improvment over a ST (assuming that the ADBV functions properly on your vehicle). If your vehicles see other situations, then perhaps the other filters would be a better choice.

OH and about the tougher case. I sure would have liked to have had a tougher case on my oil filter this morning when I dropped it and banged it up pretty good.
frown.gif

[ October 11, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

The question is..........how much does all that mean to you. With normal 3k OCI's, on normal daily drivers, I don't see any proof that any filter will provide any significant improvment over a ST (assuming that the ADBV functions properly on your vehicle). If your vehicles see other situations, then perhaps the other filters would be a better choice

Exactly my point sbc! One thing about the ADBV....my filters is set vertically....why do they manufacture the filters with this thing if the oil will never drain back....is there any other GM application where the ST 3675's ADBV might be needed?
Good post.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back