GM Power Steering Fluid Numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From some Googling, this is what I have found:

All the fluid is the same, it appears that it is just the quantity.

89021182 - 32oz bottle
89021185 - 16oz bottle
89021184 - 12oz bottle

Do others concur?

Thanks.

What fluid is this? Is it a "standard" fluid that meets whatever the GM spec is, or something different/better?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What fluid is this? Is it a "standard" fluid that meets whatever the GM spec is, or something different/better?

This is in my owners manual for power steering system as to the fluid that needs to be used.

I emailed Valvoline and they said this:

Quote:

For your application we can recommend the use of either our Valvoline Power Steering Fluid, Valvoline MaxLife Power Steering Fluid, or the Pyroil Power Steering Fluid products. Any of these products meet or exceed the GM 89021184 specification required by the manufacturer.

It appears that these part numbers have been superseded once again!!

AC Delco #10-5030, GM #89021182 is now 10-5073, GM #19329448 (32 oz)

AC Delco #10-5031, GM #89021185 is now 10-5074 (I don't know the GM#) (16 oz)

I ordered the 10-5030 from Amazon and they sent 10-5073. I needed more for a flush, so I checked out Pep Boys. They had the old stock behind the new stock on the shelf. The labels on the 10-5030 & 10-5031 look older and are yellowed, while the labels on the newer numbers look new and pristine (not yellowed).

From this I can safely conclude that these are updated part numbers, not differently spec'd fluids. Possible change in manufacturer? The bottles are the same design, MSDS # is different, though.

When ordering from Amazon, ordering by AC Delco number will give a different price than using the GM number. Always look for all possible numbers for the best price.

GM told me to use ATF now. My truck is known to blow the pressure hose in winter. The regular ps fluid freezes. I've blown two hose. No issues so far the max life atf.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
GM told me to use ATF now. My truck is known to blow the pressure hose in winter. The regular ps fluid freezes. I've blown two hose. No issues so far the max life atf.

You are using MaxLife ATF in your 2010 Silverado power steering pump?

I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps for 25 years and have never had a failure. Yet. This fluid performs very well in extreme temps, hot or cold.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps for 25 years and have never had a failure. Yet. This fluid performs very well in extreme temps, hot or cold.

Yes I am. It's been working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back