Mobil Super 5000 "engine guarantee"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got some of this stuff and of course they have the "engine guarantee". The 5000 mile number they attach to the label is sort of confusing, especially since most cars these days have longer normal oil change intervals or oil life monitors. Then I checked what the fine print is about their guarantee.

Quote:
http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_mobil-super-warranty.aspx

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

What The Period Of Coverage Is

The Mobil Super and Mobil Super High Mileage limited warranties are valid for 5,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

I remember the Quaker State guarantee that said they would fix any engine for an oil-related failure if it had been using QS, with the requirement that it only use QS starting at a certain point. Then I read the fine print, and it required that the oil be changed at least every 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

The Mobil Super and Mobil Super High Mileage limited warranties are valid for 5,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

I am not a Mobil man but that is pretty typical Mobil warranty verbage which frankly I think is rather impressive. The way I read that, if your warranty says 3k miles you can go 5k miles on Mobil Super and they will warranty that since the 5k is longer. The key is "whichever is longer". So they will stand behind their oil, even beyond what the manufacturer requires the way I understand it. I've not seen anyone else make those kinds of statements.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I am not a Mobil man but that is pretty typical Mobil warranty verbage which frankly I think is rather impressive. The way I read that, if your warranty says 3k miles you can go 5k miles on Mobil Super and they will warranty that since the 5k is longer. The key is "whichever is longer". So they will stand behind their oil, even beyond what the manufacturer requires the way I understand it. I've not seen anyone else make those kinds of statements.

It sounds like they recommend the manufacturer's recommendations as the max during the warranty period to avoid warranty issues, but once the warranty is up, they'll stand behind 5000 miles at the very least - even for severe conditions. I'm still wondering exactly what can go wrong. As far as I can tell, most failures due to oil issues would be cumulative. If a cam fails due to premature wear, I'm not sure if can necessarily be traced to the latest oil, unless maybe there's proof that the oil absolutely sludged up and starved the flow of oil to the cams.

What's Mobil Super's add pack look like? And how does their 5-30 compare to other 5-30s like PYB viscosity wise? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about this oil.

Calcium, sodium, titanium, etc. High detergency, high TBN retention, light in grade (5w30), low NOAK for a conventional. Puts up low wear numbers on UOA. Quiets noisy engines.

I think the guy on here that had the Honda Pilot serviced at the dealer according to the OLM with Mobil Super bulk ended up having to pay for the repairs to his camshafts after they were wiped out. He was doing mostly highway, and the OLM was taking him to 9-10k miles per OC.

He called Mobil to see if they would warranty it, and they shot him down somehow. They also told him that the oil will be good up to 5k miles as far as full protection, but after that they only guarantee that it will still lubricate engine parts. What they really mean is that the oil will still flow like oil but the additives won't be left in the oil to combat acid or there won't be any AW additives left. It will lubricate, but it may no longer protect.

It is all marketing.

To be able to prove a specific oil-related failure in an engine can be difficult, as other outlying, non-oil factors can lead to engine failure.

The overall message, which I believe to be the case with all modern oils, is that they are great products that will not lead to engine damage if used in the correct interval under proper maintenance and operation.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I think the guy on here that had the Honda Pilot serviced at the dealer according to the OLM with Mobil Super bulk ended up having to pay for the repairs to his camshafts after they were wiped out. He was doing mostly highway, and the OLM was taking him to 9-10k miles per OC.

He called Mobil to see if they would warranty it, and they shot him down somehow. They also told him that the oil will be good up to 5k miles as far as full protection, but after that they only guarantee that it will still lubricate engine parts. What they really mean is that the oil will still flow like oil but the additives won't be left in the oil to combat acid or there won't be any AW additives left. It will lubricate, but it may no longer protect.

I saw something about it on another forum. It's one of the first things that come up with an internet search on Mobil's Super 5000 warranty. I thought the consensus was that the variable cylinder management was tough on the oil and the oil monitor didn't take that into account.

I'm thinking these days with Honda spec'ing 0W-20 oils, the oils (as a category) will probably be more robust and can take more abuse before sludging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back