Oil and Oil Filter for 2002 LS1 (Camaro SS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been reading many of the posts on this subject, but I didn't see any (there's so many to look through) that were geared specifically to this application.

I only have about 400 miles on the car now. I purchased it new in July of 2002.

I'm going to do my first oil change soon. I plan on keeping this car for years, so I will put very few miles per year on this car. I'm planning on driving it a maximum of 1000 miles per year.

I was wondering what oil to use for the break-in period....either dino or synthetic and what brand to use? Of what I've been reading, the best synthetic choices would be Mobil 1, Amsoil and RedLine. What would be the best dino oil to use?

From what I've read in the posts, the PureOne, K&N and Mobil 1 filters are among the best.

I don't care about cost.....I just want the best protection for my SS.

Would a by-pass filter and an oil filter magnet be good investments for me also if I want the best filtration possible?

I read in a post where a fella had a 98 LS1 and it came with a magnet on drain plug. Is this true for all LS1s?

Thanks,

Dave

Maybe someone else can confirm this for sure, but I've read elsewhere that all LS1 engines (not just the ones in the Corvette) come from the factory with Mobil 1 5w30 in the crankcase. If this is indeed true, I'd stick with Mobil 1 if it were mine.

Yes, Corvettes come with Mobil 1 from the factory but I heard (whether it's true or not I don't know) that the LS1s in Camaros come with dino juice and not synthetics.....

I received from the dealer a rebate if I used Kendall GT-1 for each case of Kendall GT-1 that I buy. I haven't heard anything good or bad about Kendall oil...I in fact haven't heard anything about Kendall oil. Is it decent oil compared to Amsoil, Mobil 1 or RedLine?

I also received a warranty from Kendall Oil that states if use their oil, then the engine is covered for 10 years.

Should I go with the Kendall or go with Mobil 1, Amsoil or RedLine?

Thanks,

Dave

According to Scott Settlemire, Camaro team at GM. The LS1 Camaro and Firebirds started receiveing Mobil 1 as factory fill in Sept. of 2001. This has been brought up on several other forums in which he posted this info. Rules here forbird any links to those sites. AS a matter of fact they even touted it on the GM of Canada website about the LS1 coming with synthetic engine oil, I saw it myself. That site is gone now, as it the Camaro

So, yes there in 5W-30 Mobil 1 in there now, run it for one year or till the oil light comes on. Changing it prematurely is an unnecessary expense.

btw-I have 2002 Trans AM WS6 (Ram Air LS1) in Pewter with Taupe leather interior, 12 disk CD, Traction Control, Hurst with 6-sp. Nice cars, averaged 26.5 mpg on 1800 mile trip cruising 80mph. Keep it forever, I will. I have Amsoil 10W-30 in my car.

[ January 12, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Welcome aboard Dave! Nice to see another f-body owner on here! I started out with a new 95 TA, then got a new 98 Formula, and after straying for a bit with a Grand Prix GTP, I'm now back in an f-body again, a 95 Formula.

Anyhow, it's true, almost all 2002 F-bodies get Mobil 1 as factory fill. So for the sake of the warranty you should stick with this for now, using one year oil change intervals. I would go with 10w30 over 5w30. If you have piston slap problems or oil consumption, slip in a quart or two of 15w50 to help quieten things down.

I prefer the K&N oil filters myself (the longer HP2006 is the one you want for the LS1) but the Bosch Premium 3423 is also a good choice for the LS1.

cheers.gif
Welcome Fellow 02 SS owner!!
I also purchased mine in July of last year.
SLP #8774 345 HP M6 Sebring Silver Fully Optioned
I intend to drive the HELL out of this one after letting my 89 L98 Vette slip away with 11K on the clock in 1998 due to financial situations. I already have 4K on her and the LS1 seems to have sooo much more muscle than when I first dynoed it at 1,500 miles. Yes, all LS1's have magnetic drain plugs. I'm running Mobil 1 SS 10W-30 now with a M1 filter and it seems to run great with that combo. No consumption or piston slap and I do run it pretty hard most of the time. I would recommend changing the oil at 500 miles then 1500 and then go with the drain interval you decide on. When I changed mine at 500 the drain plug had alot of visible dark carbon looking crap on it and then at 1500 miles it was overall pretty clean.

Thanks for all the replys!

This is a great site....lots of information.

Where do you guys usually purchase your oil, whether it be Mobil 1 (Walmart on sale?), Amsoil (local dealer) or RedLine (local dealer?)?

Does the K&N oil filter have a larger flow rate than a Mobil 1 filter? Where do you buy a K&N Filter? I've seen them online for $8.89 with free shipping. Is that a good price? It's cheaper than $12.99 for a Mobil 1 at AutoZone.

Is a filter magnet a good idea or is it a gimmick?

Does a By-Pass filter make a large difference on filtration and it it easily installed on a Camaro LS1?

I was going to buy the K&N from a website (it's one of K&N's d5 istributors listed on their website), but it didn't know if that was a good price or not... Also, I was going to get a K&N air filter for $53 off the site. Is that a good price?

My SS is loaded also with every option available from GM. I then had SLP install a few more things like their Performance Package, which features High Flow Induction System and center mounted exhaust system, Front Grille insert with SS center logo, Custom Rear Deck Mat with embroidered Camaro SS Logo, Commemorative Portfolio, Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System, Premium Front Floor Mats with embroidered Camaro SS logo, Custom Car Cover with silk-screened Camaro SS graphics and 2 Camaro SS Key Fobs with one Dash Plaque.

Thanks,

Dave

race3737 ,
welcome.gif

Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations! If I'm not mistaken,you just set a new record for questions asked in a single post!
grin.gif

Don't be shy.If you have a question,just speak-up!
lol.gif

Mark

Not sure what filter the Camaro uses, but the Vette uses PF-44. Fortunately, you can still buy the UPF-44 AC Delco Ultra Guard Gold. Contact LAPD (Los Angeles Performance Division) for discounted filters, but you have to buy a case of 6. This would be my first choice.

The Camaro and Firebird also use the PF44, however the better choice is the longer PF59 version. On the Vette this filter will sit too low, but on the f-body it sits flush with the oil pan so it's not too low.

The K&N will outflow the Mobil 1, Champion Labs has said so (they make both of them) They claim the Mobil 1 is designed for finer filtration while the K&N is designed for higher flow for more sporting applications.

Where is the best place to purchase the K&N oil filter for the F-body? I've found several on-line venders selling the HP-2006 in the $11-$12 range (plus shipping).

DoctorZ

Have you checked at the local parts store(s) . Teh Auto Value around here can get any K&N Product but they do not stock them. They told me overnight or 2 days at most if its in stock at the jobber warehouse.

quote:

Originally posted by DoctorZ:
Where is the best place to purchase the K&N oil filter for the F-body? I've found several on-line venders selling the HP-2006 in the $11-$12 range (plus shipping).

DoctorZ

A friend of mine who lives in NJ found a parts place in VA that sells K&N oil filters for $9 each, with free shipping too. I'll get the contact info from him for you.

Patman,

Another longer filter for the PF44 and PF59 is the PF45. This crosses to the Amsoil SDF30. That's what I'm using now instead of the PF44.

DoctorZ, check your PM, I sent you the link to the place that sells the K&Ns for $9 each.

If anyone else wants the link, just PM me (or if Bob says it's ok I'll post the link here)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
DoctorZ, check your PM, I sent you the link to the place that sells the K&Ns for $9 each.

If anyone else wants the link, just PM me (or if Bob says it's ok I'll post the link here)

Cool!
smile.gif

And they even offer free shipping!

Thanks Patman!

I use the GM Premium filter, UPF-44 on my Corvette. As was mentioned, you can not use a longer filter on the Corvette. I know someone who tried, it scrapped on speed bumps !

I use 5W-30 Mobil 1 and change according to the computer (uses rpm's, engine temperature), which is usually about 7500 miles. I use my car as a daily driver and for short trips too (I bought it to drive it).

Recommended change for my year (1998) is 10,000 miles. Later years GM went to 15,000 miles recommended.

I am running the Amsoil 5W-30 and recently posted my first oil change results here in the oil analysis section. Based on the results, I was quite happy with the oil and have re-filled the engine once again with Amsoil 5W-30. I also bought a case of 4 gallon jugs for my other cars that are now running Mobil-1. I haven't been able to buy the Mobil-1 in Wal Mart and the quart price is almost that of the Amsoil, hence the switch. I will also run the Amsoil a little longer in the other cars then I was running the Mobil-1.

I think the K&N HP1007 would be a better choice for the C5 than the UPF44. When I get a C5 that will most likely be the filter I will run (although who knows, it could be ten years before I can afford a used C5, so another oil filter might tickle my fancy by then)
smile.gif

After all the marketing hype it doesn't really make any difference which full flow filter you use. The full flow filter only has one purpose. It is to remove the large engine damaging abrasives in the oil of a good engine. You still must drain the oil and put in new oil. The only escape from dirty oil engine wear and oil drains is to install a submicronic bypass oil filter. Then you have to deal with oil lines and find a place to mount the filter. This is easy for me. You would think it would be hard to sell someone a filter that doesn't clean oil then tell them to come back in 3,000 miles so you can drain the dirty oil.
When I started using submicronic bypass filters back in 1963 oil turned black very fast. Install a submicronic bypass filter and the oil turned clear. It is very misleading now days. Modern fuel injected engines of the gasoline variety can have very dirty oil that still looks clean.
A lot of people bad mouth the Fram. It's just a full flow filter. I have one on my Camry. I notice they have Fram filters on the James Bond cars. I don't think they would deliberately install a filter that would cause them problems. I think those are Aston Martins with Ford engines. December Motor Trend.
I started with Frantz bypass filters in 1963; signed up as a Motor Guard dealer in 1966; Gulf Coast filters in 1993. I've been around the block a few times. Filters are not that complicated.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back