Valvoline Premium Blue Syn Blend 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella has been good in my Jeep, but it's about the only dual rated diesel oil I've tried as it's the only one commonly available in 10w30. Now Napa is running a sale on Premium Blue Syn Blend 10w30.

Premium Blue at Napa

I've never heard of this in a 10w30. I can't find a PDS on it or any info here on BITOG either. Is it new? Anybody know anything about this stuff? At $11.99 a jug I am mighty tempted to try it blind.

Don't think so. Napa is showing a picture of a syn-blend 10w30 Premium Blue diesel oil that is also SM rated. I found data for a 10w30 All Fleet Valvoline but that's it.

Looks to be a straight up competitor to Rotella's popular T5. Never heard of it till this Napa ad came out.

You can click the link I posted to see a picture of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is it this?

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/10w-30/4
Nope, not Durablend. Apparently it's so new that Valvoline doesn't even have it on their website yet!
35.gif

I'd try that if it exists. The only premium blue I've seen is the 15w40. It might be new since a lot of the newer diesels use a 10w30 HDEO instead of 5w40 or 15w40.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd try that if it exists. The only premium blue I've seen is the 15w40. It might be new since a lot of the newer diesels use a 10w30 HDEO instead of 5w40 or 15w40.

Yeah, it's interesting no doubt, especially since Valvoline products have typically produced really low wear numbers in the 4.0 Jeep engine.

Napa claims to have it in the warehouse, it's in their current circular, I will find out just how hard it is to really lay hands on.

Well I called Napa, they have a local warehouse and there is no upcharge to pull items from the warehouse.

If I get 3 jugs that comes out to 2 $18 OCI's for my Jeep, which is actually less than I'd spend on Maxlife at Wally's pricing cause I need 6 quarts, that last quart always gets me.

Now to decide whether or not to pull the trigger. I already have 4 OCI's for the Jeep stashed up and I've been trying to use restraint.
confused.gif
Hard to justify since I'm already nearly two years out but I find this stuff very interesting.

Maybe I'll see if I can get Valvoline to get me a current PDS first since there doesn't seem to be one published.

Gotta love Valvoline already a response and I sent the question about a PDF about 4:30 pm. They produced a PDS on request.
smile.gif
The Zinc/Phosphorus isn't on the PDS but the 10w30 All Fleet and other Valvoline HDEO's look to generally run 12-1300 Zinc and a bit less phosphorus.

Timothy, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support.

We apologize for not having the Product Information sheet online at this time. The website is a work in progress and they have not put that product on line yet. It is very new to our product line. I have attached the PI sheet to this email for your convenience. Thank you for your interest in our products and for being our customer.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.
Mike
Valvoline Product Support

Here's the copy and paste of the good stuff on the PDS. They don't have it up yet.

Valvoline’s Premium Blue 10W-30 Engine Oil is endorsed by Cummins Inc. and has been tested extensively in stationary and
2013 on-road engines. It is approved against the Cummins CES 20081, Mack EO-O Premium Plus, Volvo VDS-4 and DDC
93K218 specifications.
The product is licensed API CJ-4/SM, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, and meets API CG-4, CF-4, CF, the performance requirements of
ACEA E7-08, E9-08, Caterpillar ECF-3, MB p228.31, and Komatsu Tier 4i, and the engine requirements of MTU Category 2.1,
2, and 1, MAN 3275, and MAN 271, Global DHD-1 and JASO DH-2 specification. It provides excellent performance in “mixed
fleet” gasoline engines, pickup and delivery, city fleet, long haul over-the-road, and off-highway applications and meets all the
requirements for Tier IV off-road engines and is backwards compatible with Tier III.
Typical Properties SAE Grade
10W-30
Specific Gravity, 15 C 0.87
Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt 79.2
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt 11.9
Viscosity Index 144
CCS Viscosity @ - 25 C, cP 6400
Borderline Pumping Viscosity @ - 30 C, cP Pass
High Temp. High Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, cP 3.5
Noack Volatility, % loss 13
Pour Point, deg. C -36
Sulfated Ash, % Total Base Number (D-2896) 10
Foam / Aeration Test Pass
Part Numbers Bulk 816067 55 Gallon Drum 817317 1-Gallon Jug 818289"

I found a PDS for it when I was doing my great 10W30 HDEO research product. It looked very good but I couldn't find it anywhere at a reasonable price (vs T5), Whats the price per gallon at Napa? WM has T5 for $16 normally and when it was on sale for $12 a while back, I stocked up.

Napa has it on sale for $11.99, it's all in the warehouse but there is no charge to have it shipped to store. Valvoline said it's new and they don't even have it on the website yet. They sent me the PDS promptly, spec's look a lot like the 10w30 All Fleet but it's a syn blend under the Premium Blue name, looks to be aimed directly at Rotella's T5.

Here's the scanned PDS for any interested.

I was just checking O'Reilly, they have a Big Blue 5w-40 blend, but it a little high priced IMHO at $25.99 for a gallon. O'Reilly did not show a Big Blue 10w-30 in Valvoline.

Last edited:
This has me curious to possibly pickup a few gallons for my diesel truck. Hope to see a UOA posted soon to see how this oil holds up.

Cheers
Bo

Thanks for posting. I am still tempted but I have promised myself I'm done experimenting, it's Pennzoil for the Jeep. I will see how long I can stick with it ha ha.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Thanks for posting. I am still tempted but I have promised myself I'm done experimenting, it's Pennzoil for the Jeep. I will see how long I can stick with it ha ha.

Man, you aint kidding. I am in the same boat...wanting to pull the trigger on Both, Delo blend 10w30 and Delo syn 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back