Castrol edge 0W-30 new formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

It has been a while since I was active on the forum. In 2011 I learned a lot here and found out that the praised GC is in Europe Edge 0W-30 with the following specs:
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SL/CF
MB-Approval 229.3/229.5
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
VW 502 00 / 505 00
BMW Longlife-01
Meets Fiat 9.55535-G1
Visc@ 40 degrees C = 72
Visc@ 100 degrees C = 12,2
HTHS @ 150 = 3,5
Ash = 1,0
VI = 167

That was 2011.... If I now down-load the latest data sheets from castrol, then the specs of the 0W-30 are different:
ACEA C2/C3
API SN/CF
MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
BMW Longlife-04
Visc@ 40 degrees C = 71
Visc@ 100 degrees C = 12,3
HTHS @ 150 = ??
Ash = 0,7
VI = 170
It has "Fluid Strength Technology". Apparently the latest development of Castrol oils.

Anyone familiar with this oil? As you can see in the specs it is now a LOW SAPS oil. Can this hurt a gasoline engine that doesnt need to pay attention to low ashes etc? Or is it just compatible with modern diesels AND all other engines?

I have been using Mobil 1 0W-40 and am very pleased. However I would like to try an oil with a slightly lower visc at operating temp, such as the castrol. But CATERHAM told me that this one is thicker at colder temps due to the lower VI than Mobil 1 0W-40. For that reason, I will probably stick with the Mobil 1. Don't want any wear with a cold engine.

By the way the old GC is now renamed "Castrol edge Professional A3 0W-30" in Europe, still has the same specs as mentioned above, but also mentions "Fluid Strength technology" now.

Thanks a lot for your remarks.

Regards, Peter

Originally Posted By: peter230e
Can this hurt a gasoline engine that doesnt need to pay attention to low ashes etc? Or is it just compatible with modern diesels AND all other engines?

It will work in a gasoline engine just fine; however, in countries that do not use low sulfur gasoline, the additive package may not last as long as with a full SAPS oil, so you would not be able to run it as long. In Europe, where fuel is ultra low sulfur (I think), this isn't an issue.

By the way, there is also Formula SLX LongTec 0w-30 listed on Castrol's UK page. Its specs are identical to the Professional A3 and that's what is still sold in the US under the name "Castrol Edge with SPT 0w-30":

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/1504BAB484534605802577ED004D42AE/$File/BPXE-85KQC4_0.pdf

Thans for the reply. That doesnt surprize me. Why do they always offer different stuff in NA than in Europe? Why twice the effort of developping different products for different continents?

Here in Europe alone it is already quite confusing:
We have:
- Castrol edge 0W-30 (with the new specs mentioned above)
- Castrol edge Professional A3 0W-30 (with the old GC API SL specs)
- Castrol edge Professional C3 0W-30 (with the exact same specs as the first mentioned...)
- Castrol edge Professional A5 0W-30 (with Visc 100 degrees= 9,78)

In Europe longer oil drains are mandated,so engine oils are typically formulated to last longer than their North American counterparts.

In Europe, Castrol have multiple versions of the same brand, especially Edge, apparently in order to meet specific requirements of different manufacturers who have developed many different specialized engines with varying technologies to achieve high fuel economy.

We don't get as many of those differing engines in the US although it is beginning to happen as more fuel efficient engines are used in US cars and we are also getting more world / European cars.

The long standing similarity are the German cars. From the many options in Europe, I don't think you have picked an oil corresponding to GC.

Additionally, Belgian Castrol, Edge 0w40, appears to be the new kid on the block with respect to meeting the requirements of German vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
In Europe longer oil drains are mandated,so engine oils are typically formulated to last longer than their North American counterparts.

Really? interesting.

Originally Posted By: RobS
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Really? interesting.

It's why we see VW 502 vs 504, and 505 vs 507, for example. One is fixed interval, the other is variable.

Peter230E

The Castrol professional labeled products are not usually available at retail in Europe, therefore it is not difficult to choose Castrol products in Europe on a retail basis.

The Pro labeled Castrol oils are for supply to specific manufacturers dealers and are for specific cars.

eddie

Thanks all. It's getting a little clearer.

@Quattro Pete: OK, so I was wrong thinking that low SAPS is only for cars with after treatment. If I understand you correctly, it doesn't compromise engine protection if used in cars that don't have any after treatment devise. (Assuming that European gasoline is indeed low sulfur.) Is that correct?

@TrevorS: You said: "I don't think you have picked an oil corresponding to GC". The specs and viscosities looked quite similar too me. And the API SL has gone up to API SN. Does this not mean that it's an improved version of the good old German Castrol with the specs that I also mentioned for comparison?

Thanks guys!
Peter

@Quattro Pete: OK, so I was wrong thinking that low SAPS is only for cars with after treatment. If I understand you correctly, it doesn't compromise engine protection if used in cars that don't have any after treatment devise. (Assuming that European gasoline is indeed low sulfur.) Is that correct?

Correct. For example, if you have a modern gasoline powered BMW in Europe, BMW tells you to run an oil meeting their LL-04 spec. LL-04 is basically a low SAPs spec suitable for both diesel and gasoline engines, as long as fuel quality is up to par.

Quote:

@TrevorS: You said: "I don't think you have picked an oil corresponding to GC". The specs and viscosities looked quite similar too me. And the API SL has gone up to API SN. Does this not mean that it's an improved version of the good old German Castrol with the specs that I also mentioned for comparison?

I wouldn't necessarily call it a new/improved version. It's a different version, made to satisfy low SAPs needs. But the original version is still available in Europe, although under a different name, as you noted.

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the different versions that the manufacturers are offering in different markets.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Correct. For example, if you have a modern gasoline powered BMW in Europe, BMW tells you to run an oil meeting their LL-04 spec. LL-04 is basically a low SAPs spec suitable for both diesel and gasoline engines, as long as fuel quality is up to par.

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a new/improved version. It's a different version, made to satisfy low SAPs needs. But the original version is still available in Europe, although under a different name, as you noted.

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the different versions that the manufacturers are offering in different markets.

Yep, original version is still available, especially in markets with low quality gas such as Ukraine, Russia, Belaruse, Moldova.

IMO....sounds alot like Royal Purple. RP went from SL to SN and did not produce any SM oils.

IMO....The SN version of both the RP and Castrol most likely have lowered ZDDP level from their famous SL oil offerings. The SN versions most likely comply with the sensitive emissions equipment in late model vehicles....hence the lowered ZDDP.

IMO...So if you have an older vehicle that is Spec'd for SL oil then the older versions are suitable for older vehicles.

The Elves want to assure you that while the main blending plant is working on the FST line the secondary plant is still cranking out GC. The reason it is no longer green is that the Waldmeister asked them to stop using the green ferns from which they extracted the dye until the plant population increases. GC got so popular they were having to use too much.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....sounds alot like Royal Purple. RP went from SL to SN and did not produce any SM oils.

IMO....The SN version of both the RP and Castrol most likely have lowered ZDDP level from their famous SL oil offerings. The SN versions most likely comply with the sensitive emissions equipment in late model vehicles....hence the lowered ZDDP.

IMO...So if you have an older vehicle that is Spec'd for SL oil then the older versions are suitable for older vehicles.

The lowered zddp oils were primarily the 20 and 30 grades. The Belgian castrol is a 40 grade so it doesn't really apply to that grade.
And GC may be a 30 grade however it never adjusted its API spec and remained SL,so it didn't have to lower any of its anti-wear adds for emission equipment.
I don't recall seeing "resource conserving" on German castrol either if that means anything.

Hello,

I have bought this exact same oil with the APEA C2/C3 specs and intend to use it for a gasoline engine.
Now, I got this as it was a very good deal, but a friend of mine keeps insisting that a Cx engine oil should be used only in a diesel engine and for sure it is not good for my gasoline powered engine (BMW 320i E46).
After doing some research I found out that a C2 oil "incorporates" a A5/B5 spec and the C3 the A3/B4 spec and that it can be used with no issues in all cars that were built post 2000.
Of course, it has the LL-04 rating which should validate the oil for my car anyway, but still.

What do you guys think?
On the bottle itself it is written that it is "ALSO for diesel engines" so judging by this, I guess first use is gasoline engines?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: stefun
Hello,

I have bought this exact same oil with the APEA C2/C3 specs and intend to use it for a gasoline engine.
Now, I got this as it was a very good deal, but a friend of mine keeps insisting that a Cx engine oil should be used only in a diesel engine and for sure it is not good for my gasoline powered engine (BMW 320i E46).
After doing some research I found out that a C2 oil "incorporates" a A5/B5 spec and the C3 the A3/B4 spec and that it can be used with no issues in all cars that were built post 2000.
Of course, it has the LL-04 rating which should validate the oil for my car anyway, but still.

What do you guys think?
On the bottle itself it is written that it is "ALSO for diesel engines" so judging by this, I guess first use is gasoline engines?

Thanks!

BMW specs LL04 for gas and diesel vehicles in western Europe. You guys have low sulphur gas unlike say the US where LL04 is diesel only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back