Napa Gold 1348 cut open w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was up at the shop and saw a bunch of Napa Golds sitting around, they have been there a while so I decided to cut one open just to view, they dont fit any of our cars so they would have just sat around. Here you go for your viewing pleasure....

CAM002721_zpsac1f03bf.jpg
CAM002731_zpsfd95bd55.jpg
CAM002751_zps60816b9b.jpg
CAM002761_zpscfe13bbc.jpg
CAM002771_zps06f74fd9.jpg
CAM002801_zps2b747ff4.jpg

The filter media seems more thin and ridged than the Honda OEM filters I cut open, they are thicker and not so firm. Also, where the top metal endcap and the bypass valve meet its all metal on metal, doesnt seem like a good seal to me, but maybe it works? anyway here are the pics. If I didnt run Honda OEM oil filters then I would run Napa golds most likely.
CAM002821_zpsdcadcdd1.jpg

Dang, first you waste synthetic oil by changing it early and now you're cutting up brand new oil filters. Place an ad on CL next time for free oil filters.

I think that is the filter used on the Nissan VQ35, either way, Napa Golds are good filters. I used them for years exclusively until I started buying PureONE's for a better price in the last year or so.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Dang, first you waste synthetic oil by changing it early and now you're cutting up brand new oil filters. Place an ad on CL next time for free oil filters.

Well I hope no one would have used this filter, as it had dust and dirt all over it and some inside too. And Ill choose what to do with my filters, thought you guys liked looking at filters, used or new. Cant win for losing on here.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Well I hope no one would have used this filter, as it had dust and dirt all over it and some inside too. And Ill choose what to do with my filters, thought you guys liked looking at filters, used or new. Cant win for losing on here.

Thanks for posting; always nice to see internal filter construction and nothing wrong with "taking one for the team".

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Thanks for posting; always nice to see internal filter construction and nothing wrong with "taking one for the team".

Thanks...glad someone appreciates it.

You have to be careful with NAPA filters. Open the box and inspect the filter. I have found 2 over the years that had rust and some kind of dust that you could shake out of the filter. Some of their stock of filters that don't turn over very often must be really old.

Nice pics I have run many of them on my 06 Tacoma. You do what you want with your money don't listen to others to tell you what you can or can't do with it.

Originally Posted By: dave123
[You do what you want with your money don't listen to others to tell you what you can or can't do with it.

Same thing with buying PP and dumping it after 3k miles. Which is what the OP does.

[You do what you want with your money don't listen to others to tell you what you can or can't do with it.

Same thing with buying PP and dumping it after 3k miles. Which is what the OP does.

Sorry...let me consult you next time I buy a car so you can determine my maintenance schedule. Thanks.

Amen to doing what you will with your money. The pictures do give some of us things to compare when choosing an oil filter. Thanks

Hey it's his money he can do what he want's to do with it. You should hear what people say when you spend 20 dollars on a four pack of beer I couldn't care less it's my money

Originally Posted By: walk23
Amen to doing what you will with your money. The pictures do give some of us things to compare when choosing an oil filter. Thanks

Your welcome! No problem

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the pictures on that filter. I am sure most folks on this board appreciate your time and effort to share and post the pics and info. Ignore the trolls.

It's a rare breed in this world that will cut up a filter anyway (myself included in the rare part). My wife thinks it's cute but only because she's used to it now.

Thanks for the post. Looks like a great filter over-all.

I appreciate this thread and the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Beyond that, and highly generalizing (and not at all directed at the OP) - doing what one wants with money is their prerogative as long as it is socially and environmentally responsible!

Again not directed at OP (as I appreciate this thread), but generally speaking dumping good oil prematurely is NOT a socially responsible act in multiple ways!

This site is about learning, at least for me. Thanks for the pictures!

My view on changing oil changed after getting an oil burning Saturn. In 3,000 miles I would have to add 1 quart per 1,000 miles on a good day. Last oil change on my old engine was over 5 quarts of synthetic oil in 5,000 miles. To me, that is why FAR deals were created.

I would rather see someone pamper there car then neglect it and let the engine fail.

Napa Golds are a quality filter imo. The 1348 is a cross to the popular 3614/10241 size, using one on my Tacoma now. A long as this filter was stored in dry place in a box or some kind of shrink wrap and no signs of rust I'd have used it. But, don't know that to be the case.

Only negative to the Wix/Napa Gold is the thread end bypass takes up more space in the can than equivalent 3614/10241 dome end bypass filters, thus the elements are generally smaller. This is especially noticeable in the smaller size applications. On the plus side, the Golds use the traditional metal thread end bypass and a combo valve found on the Silver line. I only buy the Gold line.

As for the OP's inevitable synthetic oci or oci discussion in general, I'll just say that when I joined Bitog someone had posted that 5k is the new 3k. That was some time ago was generally a baseline for mineral (conventional) oil and would be adjusted upward for synthetic for obvious reasons. I agree with that and with what poster dgsbikes said above.

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back