2014 Toyota Corolla Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewdepaula/2013/06/07/2014-toyota-corolla-sheds-demure-image/

I am really liking the premium direction that the C-Segment has taken. There is truly no reason why downsizing should force you to give up the refinement or premium features that are found in larger vehicles.

Quick Highlights of the new Corolla:

- 6MT or CVT (with 7 ratios)
- Carryover 1.8L engine (2ZR-FE); eco version offers enhanced horsepower and efficiency (140HP vs 132HP)
- 4" longer in length, significant improvement in rear seat comfort and improved interior quality
- Significant improvement in driving dynamics
- Class-leading features - Bluetooth in base model, available LED headlamps.

Finally, Toyota bringing the corolla into the 21st century and in line with it's competitors. Good to see.

inb4 "it should have a manual only, AM/FM radio, no power steering, no cruise control etc etc etc"

Looks competitive now. What's with that digital clock on the dash? That is so '80s.

If they can make as quiet as the Camry, even if it were an option package, it would help. They say it's "quieter" but we'll soon know.

Traditionally, in my view this segment (all manufacturers) has had a lot more road noise than the larger models. By design, I realize, but the technology is there to be had.

That black front fascia is too much for this older guy. It would easy to paint, though, in body color (Trim Package anyone?) or something complimentary and more low key for those of us who prefer a bit more stealth
cool.gif

It would be nice if they offered the fuel efficient engine in the base model, but I guess they will force people to buy $100 in electronic doodads for $3k...
Looks good though, they should bring a true wagon version over as well.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I thought it was a VW with that front bumper.

I thought it was a vacuum cleaner from the front. I like the direction Toyota is heading, buy they have to change more than just looks to convince actual enthusiasts to buy their car if they want to appeal to that segment. One suggestion would be to improve the driver's seating arrangement so that a tall driver can actually reach the steering wheel when the seat's pushed all the way back.

I wonder if typical Toyota buyer will like it. Hopefully in still comes in putrid brown with ugly wheels.

I definitely think it looks nice for what it is and hopefully interesting to drive. The last Corolla that I drove that I liked was in 1980's with RWD.

I'm a huge Toy fan and even though I wish they'd bring back the Celica or better yet, the Supra, this isn't too bad looking for a sedan. I like it, they got me!
hooked.gif

Beak is ugly and they still have lame engines, 132 HP 126TQ yawn~!

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Looks like a civic mixed with a dart.

100% total Honda civic copy. But there will be some great deals on the old body style for sure.

Yeah the Corolla definitely could use more power but again designed as an econobox. Personally i found the fit and finish looked cheaper on the newer models. Very few buyers will have any regrets buying a fuel efficient generally comfortable car with no maintenance to do for years to come. I drive my rolla 20-30 k miles a year and being 6ft6 im very comfortable on long trips. Next car i buy will be bigger however.

Wow - in red, it looks just like the Dodge Dart, but worse. CVT won't win over any enthusiasts, but the Grand Ma's will love it. It will sell, just because Toyota makes it. There are better options.

I can see a lot of Focus in the front end. I like the rear treatment a lot.

WIth a 6MT, the powertrain will be fine, as long as the weight is kept in check. I had an '07 with 128 hp with a 5MT, and moved down the road just fine. In fact, with good tires, that car was very tossable and enjoyable to drive. Take the LRR tires off anything from the showroom and put some good rubber on it and it's a different vehicle (at least my '07 was).

The biggest problem for my '07 (besides the fact that my wife couldn't drive the MT) was the steering wheel...it did not telescope. That was fixed for '09, though, as the then-new generation of car got a telescoping steering wheel. I'm sure they've kept that for this new model, and that shouldn't be an issue.

I do think the interior quality went down in '09 compared with the previous generation. The new one's interior looks decent, but it may be riddled with hard plastic, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back