Motorcraft FL-400S and FL-910S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a few filters cut and photographed, first a FL-400S that was run for 3,300 miles on my Jeep. This is the filter that solved my start up rattle and got me started on my current tour experiment of Jeep Liberty filters for my Grand Cherokee. The oil was Castrol HM with MoS2.

The other filter is an FL-910S off of my son's Chrysler Sebring. It was run for 5k with Maxlife 5w30. I figured it was easier to do both these at once, and I don't think we had an FL-910S in our data base here anyway.

The FL-400S and FL-910S share virtually identical specs, the difference being the FL-910S is significantly shorter. If you have room either filter would fit on the same vehicle.

I do not have a filter cutter so you'll just have to deal with the carnage. On to the guts!

Side by side:

Base plates appear identical and are typical Purolator.

Both these filters feature silicone ADBV's, thus the "S" designation. Both were very soft, pliable and intact.

Elements out and side by side:

FL-910S media up close. The 910s had 59 pleats.

The FL-400S media up close, the 400s had 58 pleats.

FL-910S seam side of media, the seam on the 910S was a metal crimp job.

Seam side of the FL-400S, it was simply a glued seam.

Measurement on the length of the media on the FL-910S. The media was notably "wavier" than the media on the FL-400S. The 910S is a small filter, I can't help but wonder if the wavy pleats were due to higher oil pressure flow against the media due to it's small size.

Measurement on the 400s:

Leaf springs were identical as you'd expect.

I gave the metal endcaps on these some good tugging on and they were rock solid and not going to come off without tools and determination. All in all these are typical Motorcrafts quality of construction was very good IMO. Motorcrafts remain some of my favorite filters and they are just about impossible to beat for the buck if an S series fits your vehicle.

The 910s replaced the 400s but is interchangeable in most applications except newish ford focii

because the 400 hangs down to low and is a hazard (lowest part on car)

The 910S and 400S interchange with one another? I asked this Q? in another post and was told the 910S was metric threads.
21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
The 910S and 400S interchange with one another? I asked this Q? in another post and was told the 910S was metric threads.
21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

I have used both on my wife's 2010 Focus. I have not had a problem using either.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
so KC,

can you rank the filters that fit your Jeep in your opinion?

my Lexus LS can use these same filters - woohoo!

The FL-400S is the best I've actually run so far. I'm having better results overall though with other FL-400S equivalents than I previously had with "spec" filters. (My Jeep actually specs a PH16 equivalent, most run PH8A/FL-1A equivalents which are simply larger.) I've had better starts and results with these FL-400S types which are actually spec'd for a Jeep Liberty not my Grand Cherokee.

Of the ones I've run the FL-400S has been tops but I had nearly as good of results with a Fram Tough Guard TG3600 which is a 400S equivalent.

My latest craze is Jeep Liberty Diesel filters, they have not one but 2 ADBV's and I'm thinking they may be the ultimate for my ride. I have 3 so far but haven't run one yet. Fram PH8316, Napa Gold (Wix) 1315 and a Champ Labs STP S8316. In addition to double ADBV's, 2 of the three have one silicone ADBV and the cans are much, much thicker, burst strength is about 100 psi more than the standard FL-400S equivalents. There is one other I'm aware of, Puro makes one in the L25230 but I haven't picked one up yet. Can't wait to give those a thorough workout!

21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Blue, sorry to keep you waiting so long.

Both are 3/4 by 16 threads and interchangeable if you have room.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

I have used both on my wife's 2010 Focus. I have not had a problem using either.

Thanx Dave. I'm going to try and find my post where I asked the Q?.

21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Well, I did it again. I was confusing the 910S with the 820S.
I think the reason why is I have only ever used the 400S and FL1A more then any of the others.
33.gif

So, the 910S is basically an FL1A, just shorter and no silicone ADBV.

21.gif

BTW, great pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Well, I did it again. I was confusing the 910S with the 820S.
I think the reason why is I have only ever used the 400S and FL1A more then any of the others.
33.gif

So, the 910S is basically an FL1A, just shorter and no silicone ADBV.

No, the FL-910S is basically a shorter FL-400S and it does have a silicone ADBV.

The FL-1A is huge compared to both of them but still uses the same threads and bypass settings, and the gaskets are so close as to be negligible, and it uses a nitrile ADBV like you said.

Thanks for cutting open these filters! They look great. I'm running an FL-400s on my Jeep right now and so far so good. Those liberty diesel filters sound interesting. I wonder how they compare.

I'd be sure to post pics when I'm done with my FL-400s.

Thanks for posting! DOn't use them but want to see em. I do use the 820s in my 150 and love it.

Always impressed with MC filters, one of the best bang for the buck buys. Thanks for cutting and posting!

Used the 400 on a 2.3 ranger for 10yrs of changes and never had any complaints or found any defects. Now using the 910 on a 2.5 fusion and again have never had any problems. Have never seen the wavy pleats like in the 910 shown. The Sebring must really have way more oil psi than my fords and was running 5/30 while lm running 5/20 but thats not enough difference to cause it l wouldn't think. Thanks for cutting and sharing. MC filters are the bargain of the century. DD

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Used the 400 on a 2.3 ranger for 10yrs of changes and never had any complaints or found any defects. Now using the 910 on a 2.5 fusion and again have never had any problems. Have never seen the wavy pleats like in the 910 shown. The Sebring must really have way more oil psi than my fords and was running 5/30 while lm running 5/20 but thats not enough difference to cause it l wouldn't think. Thanks for cutting and sharing. MC filters are the bargain of the century. DD

Did I hear a 5W20 VS 5W30 debate?
27.gif

Nope not starting that debate. Im sure the oil psi is the cause,this is found in many opened filters of different MFDs. Dont see a problem until a pleat tear is found but have never found that in an MC filter. BOF you must really enjoy poking hornet nest dont you. LOL. DD

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
BOF you must really enjoy poking hornet nest dont you. LOL. DD

Yeah, I just laugh at it now. But, it still is funny when the 5W20 Police show up and try to arrest me.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Quick question KCJeep - is your sons Sebring a 2.4L or 2.7L engine?

He has the 2.4 dual overhead cam 4 cylinder "X" series VIN. Great little engine although noisy he has over 160k on it and it still runs like a top and gets about 30 mpg around town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back