Mobil 1 EP vs Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on which is the superior 5W-30? I am switching from Redline (I believe it was dumbed down a bit recently and is no longer worth the price premium) after using it for the last 135,000 miles and am trying to choose between the two for the remaining life of my 2005 Sequoia. I considered PU but it is unavailable at the Wally World here and everywhere else it is more expensive than Amsoil with PC pricing. Amsoil seems to have a slight edge on paper (pour point, Amsoil advertising http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf ) However, the M1 EP pricing at WM is such an amazing deal for a synthetic. I even considered M1 0W-40 but I can't see any advantage over 5W-30 EP.

How many miles between OCI or how much time between OCI? Both should be good for 15k OCI after that it is a bit unclear. Shopping by cost only M1 hands down.

It's been forever since I've used it (Castrol lawsuit era), but I think I'll give the M1 a try. SN/GF-5 has really raised the bar for non-boutique synthetics. I just bought two six packs of M1 5W-30 EP plus two M1-209 oil filters for $103.58 with free two day delivery. Subtract the $30.00 Amazon Fast & Furious rebate and that nets me 12 quarts plus two M1 filters for $73.58.

Originally Posted By: BerndV
I even considered M1 0W-40 but I can't see any advantage over 5W-30 EP.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is superior to any EP formula. If you can run a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

In what regard is it superior?

In what regard is it superior?

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets all these specs:

- Mercedes MB 229.5
- MB-Approval 229.3
- Porsche A40
- GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
- GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
- BMW Longlife 01
- VW 502 00/505 00/503 01
- OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
- OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
- NISSAN GT-R
- ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

When you're considering Mobil EP you're talking about Extended Protection aren't you? Well the Long Life specs that 0W-40 carries are all extended protection specifications. These are the strictest specifications for motor oil in the world and it meets them all.

I agree that 0W-40 is a terrific oil. That is why I had considered it. However, the 5W-30 EP may meet those specs you cite that apply to a 5W-30 viscosity. We simply don't know because EM has not bothered to pay the licensing for 5W-30 EP for those specs, just like it hasn't gotten dexos1 or HTO-06 for 0W-40. I'm guessing this is because of the different viscosity recommendations that generally differentiate the Asian and US brands from the European brands. I don't think we know that the 0W-40 is any "better" than 5W-30 EP in any regard that takes into account their viscosity difference.

They are very different though. M1 EP is a low SAP oil with a SA of .8 and the 0w40 is full SAP with a SA of 1.3. Different chemistry. I would lean towards saying the 0w40 is the better one. Probably the best overall oil you can buy anywhere.

I don't think we know that the 0W-40 is any "better" than 5W-30 EP in any regard that takes into account their viscosity difference.

The way we know it's better is by looking at the obvious. It's factory filled, and or approved for use in, many of the worlds most high performance and sophisticated automobiles. These are vehicles which spare no expense in the pursuit of the very best.

Mobil 1 EP doesn't meet a single specification that can't be met by standard Mobil 1. Not a single one.

BerndV said:
It's factory filled, and or approved for use in, many of the worlds most high performance and sophisticated automobiles. These are vehicles which spare no expense in the pursuit of the very best.

It has more to due on how much $$$ both sides can make. Not the pursuit of the very best. M-1 is a good as it gets but it is not the very best.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Why don't you use amsoil then? Just curious

Me?

Amsoil Signature is 2x the cost of Ultra, and i have to order it online. I can get a jug of Ultra my Walmart for $27. Plus i picked up some jugs on clearance for $19. If Amsoil Signature was the same price, i would use that. In my mind, Signature is better. Not by much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back