Castrol Edge 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a virgin oil sample from Castrol Edge 0w40 (API SN).

Castrol PDS:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/ECEB00B36B7404F58025799300436DB9/$File/BPXE-8K8KHJ_0.pdf

VOA shows it to be within 4-5% across the board.

Code:

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 2

COPPER 0

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 1

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 1

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 2

SILICON 5

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 1994

MAGNESIUM 575

PHOSPHORUS 1001

ZINC 1212

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.0

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 435

SUS VIS 210ºF 70.0

cSt @ 100ºC 12.95

cSt @ 40ºC 79.186

TBN 10.0

TAN 3.3

Definitely a "thin" 40 weight. I was thinking Syntec 10W30 was in 13 range for the vis. Would that be correct?

Edited-never mind,I found it via search. The 10W30 is 11.3

Last edited:
I do like the 1001 ppm of Phos', higher all other PCMO 0W-40s other than RL.

Because of the lower KV100 value of 12.95cSt the resulting VI is also lower at 165. With such a relatively low VI I hope the NOACK is lower than 9%, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Interesting.
So going by this voa would German Castrol be better,or no?

I don't think there is much between these two oils.
Same VI although the 0W-40 should be slightly heavier but under 5% I'd say.
The 0W-40 definitely has more phos' which I like.

Do we know the NOACK of GC?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Agreed. I'm actually surprised that Castrol bothers to keep both the 0w-30 and the 0w-40 on the market right now. They're redundant. Alas, it's too much to ask for logic from oil companies sometimes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed. I'm actually surprised that Castrol bothers to keep both the 0w-30 and the 0w-40 on the market right now. They're redundant. Alas, it's too much to ask for logic from oil companies sometimes.
smile.gif

Marketing is one reason.
Of course the BC 0W-40 is an SN oil and GC has never been upgraded to SM let alone SN.

BTW, with all the research that has been done on GC at BITOG was the NOACK spec' ever determined?

Of course the BC 0W-40 is an SN oil and GC has never been upgraded to SM let alone SN.

Well, you know very well that the reason GC is still at API SL is due to the API additive limits which are stricter for Xw-30 grades.

My point was, why not terminate GC now that BC 0w-40 is available and meets all the same specs? What is the marketing reason for keeping GC alive?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Well, you know very well that the reason GC is still at API SL is due to the API additive limits which are stricter for Xw-30 grades.

My point was, why not terminate GC now that BC 0w-40 is available and meets all the same specs? What is the marketing reason for keeping GC alive?
I agree with you. Technically their is no reason.

I suspect Edge 0W-40 will be similar and IIRC PU 5W-40 and 0W-40 are nominally around 11.5% as well.

So M1 0W-40 has 20 point higher VI and a NOACK under 9%.
To consider buying either BC, GC or PU it would have to be pretty cheap over the already inexpensive and readily available M1.

According to Castrol UK's Automotive Technical Manager, Edge and SLX are the same product. As such here are the specifications off the SLX data sheet plus what he provided in correspondence. Totally there are three products that I've come across, all either identical or very similar: Edge, Edge A3/B4, SLX Longtec.

NOACK 9.1%
MRV 22,800 @ -40C
HTHS 3.7 cst (from Edge tds)

I'm sticking with M1.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Interesting.
So going by this voa would German Castrol be better,or no?

Same VI although the 0W-40 should be slightly heavier but under 5% I'd say.
The 0W-40 definitely has more phos' which I like.

Do we know the NOACK of GC?

Fair enough. Thank you Caterham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back