Looking for a heat-resistant double-sided tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am looking for a strong, permanent double-sided foam tape for plastic and glass surfaces that can withstand the interior temperatures of a vehicle.

The first application in question, is the mounting of my remote starter's bypass unit (smooth plastic box, weighs several ounces) to another smooth plastic surface (body ECU box). I have tried 3M's 10lb mounting tape from Home Depot with no success; the stuff simply doesn't stick well to smooth plastic surfaces.

The second application in question, is the mounting of my remote starter's antenna to the windshield. It is currently mounted using the included double-sided adhesive tape, but I would like to move it to a different spot.

My searches so far have returned 3M VHB (very high bond) tape:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...C31gv)&rt=d

Does anyone have any ideas? Getting pretty frustrated at this point since I cannot use a mechanical attachment due to the location (no wire ties possible), and velcro doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks.

I know the stuff you're talking about for the antenna; if I recall correctly from when I installed my DEI antenna on a previous vehicle, it was a gray/dark-gray dense foam tape with red peel liner which would appear to be consistent with the 3M stuff you linked. When I went to Walmart a few years back, they had what appeared to be the gray foam tape from in about a 1-1/2" width and I bought some, it's in my garage somewhere but I never had a chance to use it.

Also us being in Northern CA, whatever FasTrak uses for their toll tags seems to hold up wonders against the windshield which sees pretty high heat in the summer. I know you can request replacement adhesive strips through their website through your account if you have one, but I'm not sure if they charge for them.

edit: ah! I found that tape: Scotch Exterior Mounting Tape at Walmart I haven't used it yet but it does appear to be a smaller packaged version of one of 3M's VHB tapes.

Last edited:
TAP Plastics double-sided perm tape it looks like TAP markets something that bonds plastic to plastic, though I'm guessing it's something 3M as I wouldn't think TAP to make their own adhesive tapes.

VHB/UHB tapes and looking here it appears there is a higher class of tape than VHB. I am one of those who, for some reason, always looks in the tape aisle at the hardware store, and I haven't yet seen UHB tapes. Perhaps they are that specialized for applications.

Last edited:
Type of adhesive depends on the Surface Energy of what you're adhering to.

What works for High Surface Energy is not recommended for Low.

See what the Contact Angles are.

Ive found that grey exterior foam tape to be tenacious if applied correctly. I second the clear adhesive (rubbery stuff) that is used to adhere the EZPass type transponders to windshields. Another thought is rearview mirror adhesive on something one-sided that has sufficient holding power to hold the antenna to glass.

To the smooth plastic is perhaps a different product, but the plastic should have some porosity, and even if not, can you get away with a slight scuffing right underneath to help grab if the adhesive requires it?

I use 3M VHB at work

It works really well on glass and paint but not on plastic.

You really have to aggressively clean the plastic if you want it to stick. Brake cleaner etc.... Any protectant and it will fall right off

I procured a piece and used it to attach my satellite radio receiver mount onto the silver painted center stack Stereo/HVAC bezel. It's been there for 6 years now....it's pretty much a permanent installation. But on vinyl or unpainted polypropylene, I have had no luck at all.

You guys have EZPass? The 3M hook-and-loop that they ship with the transponder is designed to stay on the windshield. It is the *best* velcro that I have ever found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back