Restarting a hot 2 cycle engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2 cycle trimmer, chain saw and blower. I have found them hard to restart when they are hot. I usually just flick the on switch and pull to start.

I have read before that the choke should be put in the middle position when restarting a warm 2 cycle. is this correct?

so what would be the correct way to restart a hot 2 cycle engine?

On my 2 cycle trimmer, it always restarts with a single pull of the cord when hot, MAYBE 2 pulls when it's been off for several minutes. I never touch the choke unless I'm starting it cold.

But then, this trimmer is only a few years old and hasn't become too temperamental yet.

Originally Posted By: rationull
On my 2 cycle trimmer, it always restarts with a single pull of the cord when hot, MAYBE 2 pulls when it's been off for several minutes. I never touch the choke unless I'm starting it cold.

But then, this trimmer is only a few years old and hasn't become too temperamental yet.

That's what I've found. Having said that as the machine becomes more "temperamental" I'll change my starting procedure accordingly. Over the years some 2 cycle engines required a bit of choke for a hot restart.

I have a 1 yr old 2 cycle trimmer and most of the times if I go from using it to just switching it off I find it frustrating to restart in the next 10-15 min.

But if I use it and put it down and let in idle for 40-50 sec and then turn it off it starts next time at the first pull.

On either of my Echos (12 year old GT-200R trimmer and new PE-225 edger), a hot restart only takes a half of a flick of the rope and it's running again. All I seem to have to do is pull the engine over and it's lit.

How to restart when hot. Learn what your engine needs. Keep trying until you figure it out. Anything that works will be the correct method. I've got two weed-wackers and they both operate differently. One is easy to use and the other takes some fiddling with on hot restart. I have no idea why. I gave up and just learned to play the game.

On my old Tanaka it hot-restarts fine without choke.
I do notice it runs better after I remove the muffler and use a MAPP torch to burn off all the black tar-like deposits off the muffler, especially from the fine screen at the exhaust outlet.

When I tried that with a cheap 2-stroke the screws holding the muffler on stripped aluminum threads out of the engine head. Seems that engine wasn't meant to be disassembled.

On only have this problem on my blower. What I do to solve this problem is change the spark plug. Also what I do to make sure this doesn't happen cause it sucks that I have to wait 20 minutes for it to cool down some to get it to start is to make sure that if I've been running it hard that I let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting it off. That way it wont vapor lock on me.

Could be a lot of things if hot restarts are a problem (it shouldn't be).

1) Fuel quality or premix ratio problem.

2) Carb not dialed in optimally if it's got H and L adjustments.

3) Sparkplug needs to be replaced.

To name a few.

One thing that may help for hard hot restarts is to prime the carburetor again, to account for any vapor lock. As I understand it, the primer bulb on these very small engines doesn't squirt fuel into the engine as it does on something like a lawn mower engine. It simply cycles the fuel through the carburetor. So you can prime it 100 times, and it won't flood it; it'll simply continue to cycle fuel through the carburetor and back into the tank.

So try priming it a few times. You may be getting a vapor bubble in the carburetor that priming would flush out.

Our 2 strokes restart no problem hot. The leafblower restarts immediately, and the trimmer generally does on the first pull, sometimes the 2nd pull. Of course these are also still very new, and I use premix fuel so it helps keep them clean and not gummed up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One thing that may help for hard hot restarts is to prime the carburetor again, to account for any vapor lock. As I understand it, the primer bulb on these very small engines doesn't squirt fuel into the engine as it does on something like a lawn mower engine. It simply cycles the fuel through the carburetor. So you can prime it 100 times, and it won't flood it; it'll simply continue to cycle fuel through the carburetor and back into the tank.

So try priming it a few times. You may be getting a vapor bubble in the carburetor that priming would flush out.

Hmmm never thought of vapor lock. maybe I should pump it a few times and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back