Exxon Gas = Mobil Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I am a committed Shell gasoline guy ( the 5% rebate on the gas card has been a godsend lately and my car seems to love it) I will glady use Mobil in a pinch. (I have had very good milage and performance with Mobil, and I believe that it has a good detergent package). We do have a few Exxon stations around here, and oftentimes the price is quite competitive. Is Exxon gasoline "different" in any significant respect from Mobil? (The parent company is Exxon/Mobil , so I figure that it must be the same fuel.) Anyone know the answer?

Well, the Exxon / Mobil gas stations may have the same issue as Marathan / Speedway.
Ashlad CO owns Marathon and Speedway. One day I called Marathon gasoline tech line and was told that the Marathon brand which is more common and well known contained more/better detergency than the Speedway gas.

I don't know if the same is true with Exxon and Mobil, but if it is, I'd bet money that the Mobil is the one containing more or better detergency since that brans was more heavily advertised than the Exxon brand.

Right now on TV you will notice Marathon commercials, at least I have, but have never seen a Speedway commercial in my area.

Call the tech line and find out.

I remember seeing a reference to the Exxon brand on the ConocoPhillips website, but can't seem to locate it. As I recall, CP was supplying gasoline to Exxon stations in the northeast.

Some google time turned up the following:

Cumberland Farms buys Exxon Stations from ConocoPhillips

This took place in 2003, and ConocoPhillips may still have the contract to supply the gas.

Cumberland Farms is still marketing gas under the Gulf brand in the northeast, even though the Gulf Oil refining operations were merged with Chevron way back in the 80's.

More information:

Gulf Oil, a division of Cumberland Farms, supplies gasoline for 1,800 Gulf stations and 650 Exxon stations in the northeast.

ExxonMobil was required by the 1999 FTC merger agreement, to sell the Exxon stations in the northeast. Too many Exxon & Mobil stations would generate an unfair market advantage.

While I will occasionally patronize "Cumby's" ( Corporate Motto: "Selling Cheap Smokes and Lottery Tickets to Unsuspecting Morons Since 1981") for the odd Slushie or Twinkie , I am not a big fan of Gulf gas. (If I get gas at Cumberland farms, its usually from the microwave burritos, thank you very much). Your explanation would account foir the nearly identical price-point of Cumby's gas and Exxon.

I'll stick to Shell/Mobil for the time being. Thanks !!!

Blue99

quote:

Cumberland Farms is still marketing gas under the Gulf brand in the northeast, even though the Gulf Oil refining operations were merged with Chevron way back in the 80's.

They were really two separate operations. Gulf, the company, had its own refineries and supplied its own stations. Cumberland, another company, had a marketing agreement under which it sold under the Gulf name in its own market area.

My understanding is that the major difference in gasoline from one brand to another is in the additive package....not the base product.
The base product WILL vary with what part of the country you are in. For instance.....In my area......we have a "summer formulation" and a "Winter formulation".....both of which contain ethanol. I would have to drive about 50 miles, one way, to purchase gasoline without ethanol. That is due to EPA mandated formulations for certain parts of the country. Each brand has it's own additive package....with will contain the detergents and other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back