Slight rubbing sound when wheel turned left

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

I had this issue when I put on my winter wheels in December and I thought it was just tire noise. Yesterday I put on my summers and when my steering wheel is slightly off center turned to the left, I hear this slight rubbing sound, it sounds like it's coming from the front passenger tire/wheel wheel.

When I turn the wheel slightly back to the right, it goes away. It's only very apparent ~ 40-50mph, on the highly I can really seem to feel it, but when it does happen if I turn the wheel from slightly off center right to center to slightly off center left, i hear the noise.

Any ideas? I didn't notice any uneven wear and I don't think any of my mudflaps or plastic pieces were rubbing against something. I would think it's the tire, but could it be something else?

The car is a 2005 Scion tC with ~ 135k mils.

thanks

Gah! That is what I dreaded. I don't have the tools for a DIY at hope since these are pressed in at the factory. It's probably going to get progressively worse I'd assume

Usually when wheel bearing is going, you hear the noise at the slower speeds and while braking, unless it's really bad it will start howling. Check to see if the outer tie rod is shot.

Last edited:
Jack up the car and look for any underbody plastic/rubber rubbing. My wife's Lexus had one of those rubber flaps under the car loose a push in fastener and just rotate back far enough to contact the tread on the right rear tire. Made an awful rubbing noise. She didn't even notice it and wore the rubber down about 50%.

Jack up one wheel at a time with the factory jack.

Grab the wheel at either side and rock the wheel in all directions. If there is play it is the wheel bearing.

It is usually the one opposite from the direction of the turn that gets it to groan.

Thanks, going to check all of these when I have some time to put the car up. I've checked the power steering fluid and that's at normal levels. Need to do some of the wobble testing with the front jacked up later.

[censored]... I can't do this one at home. Looks like I have to bring it in if I need to really get it replaced.

I jack the car up and I could not see or feel any play in either of the front wheels.
I turned and spun both of the wheels separately and could not hear or feel any type of resistance. I've noticed my alignment is slightly off though... I made sure there wasn't a plastic cover or flap hitting the wheels and the wheels and tires looked good.

call me stumped for now. any other ideas?

In case anyone is interested, here is the estimate I got from a local toyota dealer as to what else they found and how much it costs! The culprit is the wheel bearing according to them. I guess I just wasn't aware... I didn't get it done there, I just picked up the car and figure I go check local places.

Wheel bearing replacement $575
Valve cover gasket - $240
Rear sway bushing - $155
Power steering flush ( i flushed it last year myself...) - $140

Grand total... $1153.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back