HONDA Z1 ATF or VALVOLINE MAX LIFE DEX/MERC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i have read many postings here in different forums regarding which tranny fluid to use. I am doing a simple Drain and fill on my 5th Generation 97' Accord and i am hearing all kinds of pros and cons on what to use. I purchased the MAX LIFE because my mechanic who has worked on honda's for 20+ years told me that MAX LIFE VALVOLINE is the only one he trusts for the ATF in HONDA'S. I would like to get some perspective from people who know honda's because this is only my second accord and i have always used aftermarket ATF without any issues...What are your thoughts ??

Welcome to the forum!

I would use whatever you have been using. How long have you owned the car, and how long have you been running aftermarket ATF in it? It sounds like whatever you have been doing has been giving you good results.

Honda Z1 is not available anymore. DW-1 replaced it; it's a newer and lower viscosity transmission fluid.

Either use the dealership stuff ( whatever they will recomend for your car) or MAXLIFE.

MAX LIFE ATF is very popular here , I personally would use the dealer stuff. I had better luck with it on my Corolla.

I switched our VUE (which has a Honda 3.5-liter V6 and 5-speed AT) from Z1 to MaxLife DEX/MERC last fall. In that transmission, I liked *new* Z1, but as it aged, shifts became a bit sloppy. The MaxLife is noticeably more crisp, especially when cold, but is otherwise good. My wife who drives the vehicle regularly notices no difference.

One thing I like about the MaxLife is the economy of it in the sense that I can buy it a Walmart or the local auto-parts store versus paying a Honda dealer a ridiculous amount of money for quarts of Z1 or the newer DW-1.

I ran MaxLife ATF in the same gen Accord for about 150k miles and it worked great. Also used Mobil 1 and DexVI in it with no issues. MaxLife was the most economical 'performance' fluid so I stuck with that. Did a drain/fill with every-other engine oil change.

No regrets, would recommend.

Z1 tends to wear down rather quickly, and allows a bit of slippage out of the bottle compared to maxlife in my experience.

Thank you all for the insight here. Of course i am open to more info as it comes here. I spoke with the Honda Dealership and of course they told me do not use any aftermarket ATF on the Honda transmissions. They said it will effect them because of the shift sensitivity. But of course reading between the lines here they have to make there money and at $10 per qt. i can see why. I have also read in other forums that Honda owners say that the Z1 actually does not hold up and wears down quickly ...."HENCE" why Honda recommends using it...More work for them means more money. I think i will go with the DEX/MERC MAX LIFE simply because i have read more postings that were PROS then CONS regarding its performance in transmissions vs. factory ATF Z1 or the new formula DW-1...I even went on EBAY to look to see how much it would cost for 6 quarts..I would be looking at $201.00 with shipping..It's a far cry from $42 @ O'Reilly's for MAX LIFE...

Last edited:
I ran MaxLife ATF in the same gen Accord for about 150k miles and it worked great. Also used Mobil 1 and DexVI in it with no issues. MaxLife was the most economical 'performance' fluid so I stuck with that. Did a drain/fill with every-other engine oil change.

No regrets, would recommend.

I'd use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle over Maxlife for Z1, it is thicker and closer to the Z1 viscosity. I'm using it right now in my Integra and it is fine.

Originally Posted By: 5thgenaccord97
I think i will go with the DEX/MERC MAX LIFE simply because i have read more postings that were PROS then CONS regarding its performance in transmissions vs. factory ATF Z1 or the new formula DW-1.

That's exactly what I'd do, but I'd do it ASAP knowing what I know now. Most of the damage/wear happens in the first month/year of operation.

If you want to spend more you can get a 'better' fluid than MaxLife but you're heading into that 1% territory. Your best option is to flush out all the old fluid, clean the drain-plug, install an inline filter (like the Magnefine) and then keep the fluid 'fresh' by doing regular drain/fills. Spending more than MaxLife isn't going bring any value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5thgenaccord97
Thank you all for the insight here. Of course i am open to more info as it comes here. I spoke with the Honda Dealership and of course they told me do not use any aftermarket ATF on the Honda transmissions. They said it will effect them because of the shift sensitivity. But of course reading between the lines here they have to make there money and at $10 per qt. i can see why. I have also read in other forums that Honda owners say that the Z1 actually does not hold up and wears down quickly ...."HENCE" why Honda recommends using it...More work for them means more money. I think i will go with the DEX/MERC MAX LIFE simply because i have read more postings that were PROS then CONS regarding its performance in transmissions vs. factory ATF Z1 or the new formula DW-1...I even went on EBAY to look to see how much it would cost for 6 quarts..I would be looking at $201.00 with shipping..It's a far cry from $42 @ O'Reilly's for MAX LIFE...

You can get Dw-1 shipped to your door for around $6.50 a quart. Google is your friend.

Maxlife, all day, everyday in that transmission. I have enjoyed using this fluid over the OEM recommended for the last 10k miles in one of the most problematic Honda transmissions in their history. Works like a charm!

I was thinking about castrol because that is all my dad uses in his 97 Toyota T-100 but i read in a couple forums that Castrol is not good for these honda transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back