Mothballs in the fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
If you review the diesel place fuel lubricity testing, opti-lube came out amongst the best, and their summer blend amongst the cheapest.

But if you review the msds, you'll find that Napthalene and trimethylbenzene are key constituents. Ditto for the more expensive and higher performing Xpd version.

Naphthalene has an octane of around 90, but the volatility aspect would make it questionable to me for a gasoline additive.

But for a diesel add, it may be a clean and practical option.

Just thinking out loud. I may do some solubility testing when I have a chance. I have a box of 99.95% naphthalene moth balls...

We had a ricer in his civic putting moth balls in his tank. He swore up and down it helped him spray a bigger nitrous shot. I thought he lost his marbles but apparently there is some truth to the idea.

I've always been an advocate of using them to clean an intake tract but in the fuel? Do they dissolve at room temperature or do you plan to melt them?
21.gif

I shall be waiting anxiously to read what the experts say.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I've always been an advocate of using them to clean an intake tract but in the fuel? Do they dissolve at room temperature or do you plan to melt them?
21.gif

I shall be waiting anxiously to read what the experts say.

And how exactly do you apply them to the intake???

Gasoline is filled with aromatics and I see no reason why there should not be high levels of solubility of naphthalene in gasoline.

But it's volatility is quite a bit lower than gasoline, since it is a solid at room temperature. I believe the melting point is 80 Celsius, but those big molecules likely add a good deal of lubricity.

My main premise was for diesel fuel, since naphthalene only has a octane of around 90, and might affect the gasoline rating. Of course it may also serve as a lubricity enhancer for gasoline, but I would be fearful of having higher hydrocarbon readings that caus an overheating of my catalytic converter.

This IS an old trick. My father added them to motorcycles when he was young. There is a good mythbusters on it. Will greatly improve gasoline performance not sure about disel or what damage is possible.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's what the double boiler is for. I still have no idea how people manage to use those things for cooking food.

I knew a guy who ran demolition derby cars back in the late '70s and '80s who said they would put mothballs in the gas tank. I think it was supposedly for an octane boost, but can't remember. He never advocated doing the same in go-fast engines.

I have no idea what it would do in diesel, much less in anything with modern emissions.

I've tried it in small air-cooled engines (OPE). They dissolve in the fuel quickly. Positive or negative effects? Well.. nothing bad happened best I could tell!

Joel

Wikipedia indicates napthalene is no longer used in modern m.b. because of the flammability; so read the ingredients if anyone wants to experiment. Also the replacment formula appears to be a neuro toxin. Depending on where you start YMMV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Wikipedia indicates napthalene is no longer used in modern m.b. because of the flammability; so read the ingredients if anyone wants to experiment. Also the replacment formula appears to be a neuro toxin. Depending on where you start YMMV.

Nope. Old Fashioned moth balls, right off the shelf at HD state 99.95% Naphthalene right on the box. There is a chlorobenzene variant or similar, that is used sometimes, but there are toxicity concerns with it.

Good old fashioned is still alive and well!

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

I have no idea what it would do in diesel, much less in anything with modern emissions.

Given that it is a major constituent in these additives, as well as naturally present in diesel fuels, I can see no reason why it would be an issue.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's what the double boiler is for. I still have no idea how people manage to use those things for cooking food.

Wow, now Im really lost!

So you melt them down in a double boiler, and then spray or otherwise ingest it into the intake?

I'm wondering what would happen if you had a bunch of then in a knit bag.( perhaps a piece of pantyhose) and placed that in the aircleaner( not on the throat side of the filter). Perhaps an intake treatment for DI engines?

Used to add a half pound box to my petrol back in the day, as stated, dissolves quickly.

JHZR2, where did you get the 90 Octane (RON, MON, average ???), I thought it had a pretty reasonable additive effectiveness...it's structure should make it pretty good too...I'm just surprised at 90.

I think the cooking poster might be thinking hexamine, the camping fuel.

Adding napthalene to the air cleaner just probably relies on it's evaporation, and I can't see it cleaning much.

Interesting concept putting it in diesel, will have a think and a look...if I can get it. Can only get three balls in a tube these days.

OK, am I the only one here who will not and does not think it a good idea to put mothballs in my gas tank? Now I do have a minor in chemistry so I know what naphthalene is and aromatic hydrocarbons are in general, and that they are present in automobile fuel but still...

I'm just adverse to adding anything to my fuel or oil or coolant or whatever. Dumping a bunch of mothballs in through my filler tube just alarms me.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK, am I the only one here who will not and does not think it a good idea to put mothballs in my gas tank? Now I do have a minor in chemistry so I know what naphthalene is and aromatic hydrocarbons are in general, and that they are present in automobile fuel but still...

I'm just adverse to adding anything to my fuel or oil or coolant or whatever. Dumping a bunch of mothballs in through my filler tube just alarms me.

First off the basis was diesel. As a chemical engineer, I've fiddled with fuel chemistry for other reasons for years. Solubility and solids (99.95% purity shouldnt have solids but you never know) aside, the reality is that HDS of diesel, due to catalyst selectivity and Henry's law opens up a lot of the aromatics first (which are where the sulfur tends to be btw). If naphthalene has a bona fide lubricity enhancement, then it is more convenient to dose as a small solid, primarily because handling and storage is easier.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

JHZR2, where did you get the 90 Octane (RON, MON, average ???), I thought it had a pretty reasonable additive effectiveness...it's structure should make it pretty good too...I'm just surprised at 90.

Just an online search, no traceable basis really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back