Need a battery tender, short battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've consistently replaced the battery in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan every two years. I drive short distances, mostly, in town. After sitting for about ten minutes with a door open or the radio running, it would need to be jumped. I was leaving for Colorado so I replaced it (Napa Legend 75). The factory battery failed at about two years. It was replaced with a Napa battery, followed by another, and now the 4th battery. I have tried to charge the battery periodically. The Ford dealership where I work did not have a Motorcraft in stock and I had about $40 pro-ration left on the current battery so I went with a Napa. I attribute the short battery life to the short distance driving, and the fact that my daughter ran the battery down a couple of times listening to the radio. My plan is to put a battery tender on it and keep it charged at least once a week. Any suggestions as to brands? I'm hoping to find one that I can leave the wires attached to the battery and just plug it into the tender periodically. Thanks in advance.

Look at the battery minder, it also has a desulfation circuit.

Have you checked your changing system for problems? Also could something be using power when the car is off?

Originally Posted By: otis24
ran the battery down a couple of times listening to the radio.

I think that's the problem.

In my experience, once you've run a battery down until you need a jump start, a few times , it's a short matter of time until you'll need a new one.

I'd bring a transistor radio to listen to and I'd also double check that the doors are completely closed when I leave the car as the inside lights staying on overnight a number of times will damage the battery.

Maybe you should consider an AGM battery next time(Optima comes to mind). Sams Club has Duracell or Energizer (forget which) AGM automotive batteries too, with a full 3 year warranty! And they are much cheaper than an Optima but still AGM and a better warranty.

As far as a tender goes, I bought a Schumacher 2 amp tender for my Prius 12v auxiliary battery. I semi-permanently wired it in with the supplied harness and leave the pigtail sticking out of the compartment (In the prius, the 12v auxiliary battery is in the trunk). Then about once a week I plug it in overnight for a maintenance charge. The Schumacher does the 3-4 or 5(forget which) step smart charge. I bought the tender at Advance Auto Parts for around $25 on sale w/discount code and it had a rebate too, bringing the price to around $13.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had a similar problems with his Dodge Cummins Diesel. He had burned through two sets of Die-Hards with no luck. I switched to Sears Platinum on mine (CTD)and he followed suit. I put mine up all winter and it started in the spring like I drove it the day before. No more problems and a 4 year replacement, 10 year pro-rated warranty. For regular batteries, I would get the AA with discount codes/coupon. When the going gets tough, the Sears are the best in my opinion.

I do have a battery charger. Will have to look at charging more often. Perhaps once or twice per month at 2 amps?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have a full size battery charger and use it once a week for 20-30 minutes each for all cars.

This is what I have for 7-8 years, it still working great.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...fier=58755_0_0_

Got the same one, a very good unit.

I also agree the poster should fully charge his battery on occasion (1x week or 2x a month whatever) rather than a battery tender.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I do have a battery charger. Will have to look at charging more often. Perhaps once or twice per month at 2 amps?

Use the max amperage. It helps break down any sulphated plates.

Last edited:
I think you make a good point.
I think the OP has problems not related to the battery.
Something else is going on here.
It might be a good start to check electrical draw when the van is just sitting.
I'd could be higher than spec.
I'd also check alternator output.
It might be low.
You should be able to listen to the radio for hours without the battery being too weak to start the engine, assuming no other excessive draws and sufficient alternator output to keep the battery charged while the engine is running.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I recommend this one. We use it on our fleet trucks - E350 gas. If you plug your truck in, plug this and the block heater into one extension cord and that way you have a block heater and battery charged at the same time. You should be well under the capacity of a 15 AMP house circuit with this setup.

http://batterytender.com/products/automotive/power-tender-plus-12v-at-5a.html

Have/use the Battery Tender Plus (for motorcycle). Keeps the battery up & ready. Been good so far.

A battery tender IS a battery charger. It simply cuts the charge current down as the battery reaches full charge and keeps it there over a long time.

The charge isn't very much, so it can take overnight on a very discharged battery. But to keep a battery topped off it is a great tool. I use mine on my mower and motorcycle batteries in the off season, and the Camaro and the truck, both of which are not driven very much.

It saves on battery purchases over time and pays for itself. I recommend the Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 - 12V 1.25A Battery Charger. Approximately $45.

IMO using the battery tender is addressing the symptom but not the real issue. Those short trips are not a big deal, there are thousands of vehicles doing the same without issue. I think that there is an electrical drain or problem with the charging system.

If this had been an ongoing thing, i would say yes to the battery drain. But the current problem is consistent with a 2 yr battery life cycle. I will put my battery on the charger every two weeks. In two years, i guess i will know if that is the problem or not. The alternator was replaced two years ago as well (along with the battery and water pump).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back