MMO...how many miles in crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing my oil this weekend...running a quart of MMO in a 4 qt sump, the rest being Pennzoil 10W 30. How long should I drive before I drain it out?

Just run it the entire normal interval but they only call for 4-8 ounces per quart when winterproofing . That would be minimum 16 ounces - max 32 ounces for your 4 quart motor .

Are you certain you want to thin down that much at your dose ? The oil will shear to 9.3 or so anyway thinking less MMO will do the job .

Last September I changed the oil in a 4.6 Ford and used that thin 7.4 cSt Torco 5w-20 just to get rid of it . I then added 5 ounces of #132 and 12 ounces MMO .

That engine was clean and always kept the oils looking good but I think the MMO got in some places and dislodged some stuff . Got kinda dirty looking within two months . Never has done that before .

Purrrs like a kitten with that brew though
smile.gif

EDIT:

Two weeks ago I added more MMO

I just put a quart of MMO in the Ford 5.0 truck as the last top-off before the next oil change in a few weeks, probably 400 miles or so. Since the weather is cool (40-60F) and I am not working it hard right now, the mixture should not be too thin. MMO looks a lot like ATF, but with a "minty" aroma.

MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil

Webmaster, Maybe there should be a 'key to abbreviations' sticky at the top of all forums, what do you think?
They have this at autopia, its very helpful in understanding what is being bantied about.

I am using MMO in a beater 87 CGT that my lil cousin drives. He is on ARX rinse and is really desperate to get rid of his lifter tick so I will add 1q 500 miles before the drain.

I think that any solvent based flush especialy 32 onces worth should be flushed out at 500 miles. If a solvent can not do it's thing in 500 miles it is not going to do anything for you. That much solvent is going to cause an increase in wear! Now that increase in wear may well be offset by the cleaning that takes place. I just do not think that it is something you want to do often unless you have such an issue with sludge that it is going to impair the vechiles lube system!

MMO will not burn off once added to your oil. I have used MMO many a times in the past and have never had any issues. I even know people that still add a quart at every oil change for the duration of the oil change. I will say that in most cases do not expect really dramitc cleaning! Sure the oil may get dark quickly but that does not mean much. We have not seen any UOA of any vechile with MMO used dureing the OCI. It would be interesting to see what it does to wear metals!

Normaly when I would use MMO I would start out with a thick oil to counter act the thinning. So 3 quarts of 15W40 and 1 quart of MMO.

P.S. Their are better and safer products out their like Schaffers 131 and Auto-Rx. If you want an agressive solvent based flush a pint of B-12 Chemtool is about as tough on Varnish and S;udge as any solvent based flush can be.

Does anyone know the makeup of MMO? It smells like Root beer to me...
shocked.gif

Ok changed the oil a couple days ago. 3 qt dino 10w-30 and 1qt MMO. The mixture is thinner now. Sometimes I can hear "sloshing" in the engine. I'm concerned because my cold oil pressure is about 80 PSI...then normally after 10 minutes on the highway it drops to around 70PSI...but with MMO it drops to about 60PSI. I thought that the oil pressure needed to be higher to pump up lifters. The noise has continued after about 200 miles of driving with MMO, although maybe not as loud. Any thoughts?

A quart of MMO is a heavy dose. Don't run it over a thousand miles. If you have a lot of crud to clean up, put your hand on the oil filter every few days or so. If the oil filter is a bit cool, change it.

Take a bit of time and do a pint before each oil change, about 500 miles before. I can't say much about other products, there's too many to know them all. They probably all have their good points and their followers.

Right Larry, I know its a heavy dose but i suspect my engine is very dirty. Has anyone used MMO for what I'm using it for? Itd be nice to hear good things about it...success stories. I'm most concerned about the oil pressure though.

It used to be a common quick fix if one had a ticking lifter. If MMO did not fix it you usualy had to replace your lifters. It is ok at cleaning out the some mild sludge but for really abused engine you need to do you and your vechile a favor and order Auto-Rx!!!!!!!!!

I would not worry about the 10 PSI drop that is to be expected. If you had used 15W40 and added the quart of MMO you would not have seen such a drastic change in oil pressure. MMO is like a 5W cutting oil added to 3 quarts of 10W30. I would imagine you have something close to a 15-20W oil now.

MMO can only lossen the soft sludge on the surface. Once the oil is loaded MMO can not do a lot for you.

Again get the MMO out at 500 miles. If it has not solved the problem buy then it is not going to do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back