NAPA PRO SELECT OIL FILTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a napa pro select oil filter good or bad.also is a wix or napa alot better than a pro select or are you just paying extra for the paint on the oil filter. specs,good reviews or bad let me know. thank you.

"Pro Select" is a lower/cheaper line of NAPA filters. It has the combo ADBV/bypass valve. I'd pass and use something like a WIX, NAPA Gold or a Purolator.

IMO....they are a very good filter for oil flow.

It's very similar in comparison of a Purolator Classic to a Purolator Pure 1.

It will get you good filtration and excellent oil flow for at least 5K miles. In the winter especially that is what you need if your in a cold climate.....good rapid oil flow.

I would pass and step up to the gold line, the PS is just to cheap of filter for me i used a few in the past and upon inspection i found very thin and weak filter media i never used i one again.

step up to the napa gold.

If it has the combo valve its garbage - worse than Fram
smile.gif
Step up a notch and get something better for the cost of a 1/2 gallon of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If it has the combo valve its garbage - worse than Fram
smile.gif
Step up a notch and get something better for the cost of a 1/2 gallon of gasoline.

I do believe they do.

My '04 Nissan Altima 2.5L starts so fast that it can often experience "startup rattle". It also has that dreaded timing chain rattle while driving for the first few minutes after that cold startup but, only on cold days(never in the summer).

I have better luck (less startup rattle) with the NAPA ProSelect and Purolator Classic than even with the NISSAN FILTER or the Purolator PureOne(both w/silicone ADBV). I don't know why!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have a couple of post' on here about this filter.I also have a post of one cut open. Do a search and decide for yourself.

I did a search but, couldn't find yours. I did find others(You Tube videos) that showed WIX/NAPA failures.

Because of the distance I'd have to drive, I don't get to NAPA very often and when I do, it isn't for oil filters. I typicaly use Purolator Classic(sometimes a P1)as they available at more places that I frequent(AAP, PB's, W*M).

When I do get to NAPA, it's for those rare items that the other parts stores don't carry(I can't name a particular item off the top of my head).

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have a couple of post' on here about this filter.I also have a post of one cut open. Do a search and decide for yourself.

I did a search but, couldn't find yours. I did find others(You Tube videos) that showed WIX/NAPA failures.

Because of the distance I'd have to drive, I don't get to NAPA very often and when I do, it isn't for oil filters. I typicaly use Purolator Classic(sometimes a P1)as they available at more places that I frequent(AAP, PB's, W*M).

When I do get to NAPA, it's for those rare items that the other parts stores don't carry(I can't name a particular item off the top of my head).

I live in a farming community,soybeans,cotton,corn,milo,sugar cane,and crawfish. Our local NAPA caters to 95% of the farmers here. When you go in there with a sales flyer they give you a strange look.
grin.gif

I live in a farming community,soybeans,cotton,corn,milo,sugar cane,and crawfish. Our local NAPA caters to 95% of the farmers here. When you go in there with a sales flyer they give you a strange look.
grin.gif

I'm still not sure wheather or not you like NAPA Filters?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
"Pro Select" is a lower/cheaper line of NAPA filters. It has the combo ADBV/bypass valve. I'd pass and use something like a WIX, NAPA Gold or a Purolator.

+1 You will get a lot more responses similiar. Spend the extra bucks and buy something decent

Yep, no particular fan of the nitrile combo valve design. Less concern about adbv portion of the combo, than the bypass portion. If one wouldn't prefer a nitrile adbv, why would one want something that also functions as the relief/bypass valve. If the adbv tends to function at less than optimum, worst one will get is some start up rattle, annoying but not really terminal. Bypass fails, who knows.

Find a NPS application that still uses separate adbv and bypass (pics of one posted here recently) ok, otherwise I'd pass and go for the Napa Gold or some other brand with separate adbv and bypass.

Are you talking to me?
confused2.gif

Yes, Robert DiNero...He, He!
smile.gif

TAXI..."are you talkin' to me"?

Last edited:

Are you talking to me?
confused2.gif

Yes, Robert DiNero...He, He!
smile.gif

TAXI..."are you talkin' to me"?

After that tire store installed one on my engine and it caused engine rattle EVERYTIME upon startup,I didn't like them! It only stayed on my engine about 6 hours before it was replaced with a MC! And,I still don't like them.
grin.gif

Ah Ha! I see.

I like Puro's as I mentioned. They are:

Rated high or at least held in high regard by many

Easy to find and at reasonable prices

Sold at many places that I shop

Ah Ha! I see.

I like Puro's as I mentioned. They are:

Rated high or at least held in high regard by many

Easy to find and at reasonable prices

Sold at many places that I shop

Purolator classics have a really cheap/cheesy o-ring instead of a gasket. Can doesn't feel too good either. At the same price point, I would much rather have a Fram orange can for the better gasket and higher efficiency.

Then again, my last order of OE Toyota filters was $4/ea shipped to my door with a new drain plug crush washer...so why bother with aftermarket, esp low-end aftermarket.

The Toyota filters are much less efficient than the Purolator Classic.

Not sure what you mean about the Classic's gasket. It's really not an "O-ring", but a flat cut gasket like most other oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back