Mobil 1 5W30 EP 7090 Miles 06 Toyota Tacoma V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I have run on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 Doublecab.

This UOA was done at 300,841 miles. No make-up oil added. Previous oil change at 293,751 miles was performed on 8/19/12.

Some background: I have used Mobil 1 Extended Protection 5W30 in this vehicle since the day I brought it home new from the dealer (60 miles) on 7/27/06. I typically run 10-11k OCI but have run up to 14.6k OCI. I use oversize Mobil 1 M1-209 filters.

I am including the UOA in both an image and a code block.

UOA-2006-TACOMA-121025.jpg

Code:

OIL M1 EP 5W30

MILES IN USE 7090

MILES 300,841

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/21/12

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 14

COPPER 1

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 87

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 43

SILICON 17

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 1136

MAGNESIUM 813

PHOSPHORUS 733

ZINC 967

BARIUM 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.9

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.61

Flashpoint in °F 425

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 2.2

If you typically run 10-11k mile oil change interval, why pull a sample after only 7k miles? What good does that do you if you normally run the oil longer.

Doesn't it make more sense to see how the oil is holding up after 10k worth of use???

WOW. That is a great report. Do you use your truck for work? How did you put so many miles on it this fast? I can see why you have 3 toys.

I praise you for keeping up that engine for such a long time many engines give up around 250 if not very taken care of.

Keep it DIRTY.

I believe mobil EP is for up to 15,000 miles. Have you done a UOA with this mileage?

Originally Posted By: cathy
I believe mobil EP is for up to 15,000 miles. Have you done a UOA with this mileage?

No, this is the first UOA on this vehicle. I have run as high as 14,542 OCI.

I am planning another UOA with 10-11k OCI and may try one longer if that looks good.

Nice report.

Your viscosity is a little low as it probably sheared down a bit. Would be interesting what it would be on your normally higher OCI.

Looks like Blackstone put in the 5w-20 viscosity ranges, not the 5w-30.

Way to go!
smile.gif

How do you drive and in what conditions?

For a 15k OCI oil the TBN is too low for me after only 7100 miles. I just got done with a 15k OCI and took a sample but after this and another OCI (Honda with a timing belt) and both had low TBN if I run a UOA I guess I'd better get a TBN too.

Thanks for the UOA!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would like to see how it looks inside under the valve covers...

+1...

Thanks for posting this... I have an '07 Taco with the same engine, and this gives me great hope (I have 102,000 miles). Planning on keeping mine as a daily driver indefinitely.

I also use M1 EP 5/30.

How's your transmission? I just did my first flush/fill on mine.

Last edited:
I don't have any reason to suspect that your results are "bad" but with this many miles on the engine and the fact that you are burning these miles at a very rapid rate I'd expect to see iron a little lower. My last UOA at 45k on my '07 4Runner with the same engine was showing only 7 PPM of iron after 4700 miles and this included service as my wife's daily driver meaning that it sees a lot of cold starts followed by 1-5 miles of driving, a hour or more cooling off and another 1-5 miles of driving. When its not serving on this front it serves as our mountain and desert vacation mobile with trips high in the Sierra Nevada or around the Mojave Desert with plenty of 4x4 time. '07 4Runner UOA
The previous owner of my 4Runner had only used the standard Mobil 1 5W-30, changed it every 5000 miles and when I sampled that at 4300 miles I saw iron at 10 which is about in line with what you're reading on a per mile basis. Personally I prefer Pennzoil synthetics to Mobil after seeing iron in my UOAs drop by 30-40% in both my Honda CR-V and my 4Runner after switching. Toyota also authorized 5W-20 in the 1GR-FE at the beginning of 2008 and that reduction in iron I saw was after going from Mobil 1 5W-30 to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.

Glad to see a 1GR-FE make 300k miles. How's the rest of the truck holding up?

One last observation: Is M1 EP's Ca usually that low? I showed 2500 PPM on my M1 UOA and 3100 PPM on my PP sample.

To answer a few questions:

I am planning on having the valves adjusted for the first time at 325k miles, so I will have a chance to see and photograph what is under the valve covers before summer. Unless you folks just want a peek inside with the oil fill cap off in a photo?

The driving conditions include only a 10 mile each way commute, and all other miles are longer trips. Truck is not used commercially or for work. Miles include a lot of dusty dirty and hot 4x4 off-road desert miles, a lot of snow driving, and some pulling a camper trailer.

Here is a thread on Tacoma World discussing the truck at 300k miles if you are interested in the driving conditions and condition of truck:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/244798-300-000-miles-today.html

Tha transmission is a 6 speed manual that is holding up fine (Redline MT-90).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
I don't have any reason to suspect that your results are "bad" but with this many miles on the engine and the fact that you are burning these miles at a very rapid rate I'd expect to see iron a little lower.

Thanks for the response. The universal average (5500 miles?) is 11 ppm. Mine was at 14 ppm at 7090 miles which seems in line (7090/5500)*11 = 14.18. Help me understand what I am missing.

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
One last observation: Is M1 EP's Ca usually that low? I showed 2500 PPM on my M1 UOA and 3100 PPM on my PP sample.

I was wondering that myself.

My son and I put 348K on a 91 Ranger 3.0 with M1 10-30. When sold it still ran great. OCIs were 10-14K(when my son owned the truck he extended longer than I care to). By the way, never did a UOA(there way overated IMO) Many here are hand wringers over TBN. Just enjoy your truck with what you are doing, and don't get caught up in the BITOG UOA mental angush of chasing down every 1 PPM of this or that. Good report.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
My son and I put 348K on a 91 Ranger 3.0 with M1 10-30. When sold it still ran great. OCIs were 10-14K(when my son owned the truck he extended longer than I care to). By the way, never did a UOA(there way overated IMO) Many here are hand wringers over TBN. Just enjoy your truck with what you are doing, and don't get caught up in the BITOG UOA mental angush of chasing down every 1 PPM of this or that. Good report.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Oh I agree. Because a pushrod V6 is the same as a OHC V6 (after all a V6 is a V6) and no one is talking about 1 PPM.

And all of those useless UOAs that have proven valuable to many members here who are clueless. All I needed to do is run Mobil 1 oils and I could have saved a head gasket rebuild! In the same engine as your Sons truck.

I'm so dumb...

Amazing post.

Bill

PS: How can it be a "good report" (your words) if they are "overrated" (again your words)? Again amazing post...
crackmeup2.gif

PPS: To the OP; Excellent thread over on the other site. My 2005 Corolla will hit 300k next year and I've had the same service. Oil used has been everything but 90% conventional with up to 13k OCIs. Still OEM parts still on the vehicle with little done to it. Good job!
cheers3.gif

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

UOA is not overrated and Tbn does matter.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
For a 15k OCI oil the TBN is too low for me after only 7100 miles. I just got done with a 15k OCI and took a sample but after this and another OCI (Honda with a timing belt) and both had low TBN if I run a UOA I guess I'd better get a TBN too.
Thanks for the UOA!
Bill

Interesting UOA and thanks for posting. The engine looks good but the oil is getting low on additives, as the TBN should not drop below one third of the original figure (The Calcium also seems a bit weak with this oil type) for severe service and the Blackstones figure is pushing the boundaries in my opinion, so I would set the OCI at 7500 miles. The oil filter is good for 15,000 miles, so you could look at two oil changes per filter to save a few dollars and that might help the wear metals, as dirty filters are more efficient.
The viscosity is also of slight concern and when considering the age of the engine it might be an idea to look at using a 5/40. It would be interesting to see the results with a 5/40 that has a stronger add pack, as my TBN was 5.7 at the same number of miles, down from a 9.6 start figure.
Not sure if this oil type has some of the new additives that don't get reflected in the Calcium content and that figure is more important for a diesel anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Thanks for the UOA!
Bill

Interesting UOA and thanks for posting. The engine looks good but the oil is getting low on additives, as the TBN should not drop below one third of the original figure (The Calcium also seems a bit weak with this oil type) for severe service and the Blackstones figure is pushing the boundaries in my opinion, so I would set the OCI at 7500 miles. The oil filter is good for 15,000 miles, so you could look at two oil changes per filter to save a few dollars and that might help the wear metals, as dirty filters are more efficient.
The viscosity is also of slight concern and when considering the age of the engine it might be an idea to look at using a 5/40. It would be interesting to see the results with a 5/40 that has a stronger add pack, as my TBN was 5.7 at the same number of miles, down from a 9.6 start figure.
Not sure if this oil type has some of the new additives that don't get reflected in the Calcium content and that figure is more important for a diesel anyway.

No need for a 5w-40. You also have to look at the magnesium number with the calcium level. If your engine is on good shape and had regular maintenance, there is no reason to increase the viscosity if it is not burning any oil or doesn't have any issues.

Originally Posted By: buster
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

UOA is not overrated and Tbn does matter.

Buster
Few people ever heard of UOAs that drive. BITOGers look at these reports hanging on their every PPM and other info as if it will have something to do with the overal life of the engine. This over attention to data(which when compared with one oil analyzer to another can vary by a sizeable %) can become OCD. Now, if fuel, coolant or dirt are suspected of polluting the engine I would do one. As I recently said"I may do a UOA on the Focus at about 125K to see how the lifetime air filter is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back