Pennzoil Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that Pennzoil offers a warrany if you exclusively use (and document) their products. Here's what I thought was curious: For Platinum and below, the warranty is 300K miles or 10 years. For Ultra it is 500K miles or 15 years.

I have never kept a car past 200K, but most people on this page know that with a reasonably well built and well maintained car, 100K+ is pretty easy and not a remarkable feat like it used to be. As a side note, I had 2 different model year V-8 Mercury Cougars XR-7s go past 180K miles prior to me selling them and they were in perfect mechanical condition when sold. They received regular bulk dino oil and filter changes every 4K miles from whatever quick-lube place I lived close to at the time. I would have guessed that the Platimum and Ultra warranty would be in the 500K category, and all other Pennzoil products in the 200K - 300K range. I wonder what about Ultra makes it worth an additional 200K miles and 5 years (in Pennzoil's eyes) over the rest of the Pennzoil portfolio?

In my experience, oil-related engine failures on a properly maintained gas engine, with the exception of flat-tappet camshaft failures, are non-existent.

Originally Posted By: Ddub
I wonder what about Ultra makes it worth an additional 200K miles and 5 years (in Pennzoil's eyes) over the rest of the Pennzoil portfolio?

Probably nothing, but they had to differentiate the two from a marketing perspective somehow. The likelihood of payout under the terms of such warranty is probably lower than winning lottery, so the cost associated with it to SOPUS is negligible anyway when compared to the increase in potential revenue from people who religiously buy their product and skip the product of their competitors.

With that said, supposedly Ultra uses better quality base oils (GTL, PAO) so theoretically one could claim that it may perform better.

As you said, typically such high miles (past 300K) are unheard of, so it's all a moot point.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
They will look @ a 15 year old car with 489K miles and say "What do you really expect us to do for you?"

EXACTLY. All of the oil co's warranties are a marketing scheme. Just change the oil reasonably and you will be fine.

Even though I am a Pennzoil user, I did not register for the warranty. I was guessing it was mostly marketing and/or some crazy confidence in their Ultra.

Should register just for the $20 off platinum coupon or $25 off PU

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

+1

or actually more like x4 (I think that's how many I got to use)

Yup. That's the main tangible value out of this whole thing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup. That's the main tangible value out of this whole thing.

+2

It seems like some people might try to commit fraud with a deal like this. There's always going to be some other factor involved than just the oil alone. It just depends how good Pennzoil's reps are at finding those other factors, and once they find one, they can deny the claim.

If they do decide to pay out, I bet they'll usually just buy the car for whatever paltry amount is listed in KBB.
The bottom of the terms says $5k or "cash value" of vehicle, whichever is less.

My dad is a PYB/Fram guy. His 4.6L TBird is up to about 350K miles, but has started losing compression on 1 cylinder. If he were enrolled it would be out of warranty by 50K. Supposing somebody made a claim in that situation though, I wonder if such early symptoms (measurable loss of compression on 1 cylinder) would be covered anyway. They may not talk to you until the engine has stopped running, and there's a long gap between old age symptoms and full failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In my experience, oil-related engine failures on a properly maintained gas engine, with the exception of flat-tappet camshaft failures, are non-existent.

You just stated something that has been rolling around in my mind for awhile now.

I've read it over and over and over here, "I've used brand X for X amount of years and never had an oil related failure."

You hit the nail on the head; if you're using a decent oil, designed for your car and maintaining your engine properly, oil related failures ARE non-existant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
I bet the fine print on the Warranty states changing oil and filter every 3k miles.

Nope. It says:
Quote:
Change your vehicle’s oil and oil filter at least as often as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer

I totally forgot about the rebate; thanks for the reminder. That part at least is a total no brainer. On my upcoming oil change (after rebates and discounts), the PU cost $2, Bosch Distance+ filter about $5, and the Mazda dealer charges me $9 for labor, documents everything, does all the courtesy checks and top offs, AND washes the exterior and vacuums the interior. Not a bad deal at all.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Good deal then..other Oil warranties want us to change oil and filter every 3k miles..:)

Mobil, at least up here, offers a warranty (with no several hundred thousand mile limit) on all their oils (synthetic and conventional), based upon the OEM recommendations, or 15,000 miles for EP. I do use Pennzoil and have signed up for the warranty, whatever it's worth, but Mobil's seems to have less restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back