2007 Tundra / 4,161 mi / Formula Shell 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is the second part of my post (see Silverado 1500 UOA post for part 1).

Below is the UOA for my 2007 Tundra 5.7L. I am more pleased with the Formula Shells performance in this vehicle, but am still wondering if there is a better option. My tundra is my work truck and depending on the time of the year it is pulling a trailer 50-75% of the time.

Something else I am wondering is it the viscosity of the 5w20 in this sample looks similar to the 5w30 in my previous post - to simplify things could I get away with using 5w30 in both vehicles?

Thanks again for your input/opinions.

Code:
OIL Formula Shell 5w20

MILES IN USE 4,161

MILES 85,910

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/08/12

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 6

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 92

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 97

SILICON 19

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2293

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 743

ZINC 841

BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 50.2

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 7.34

Flashpoint in °F 435

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.5

TBN 1.7

GARTH: You've got almost 7,000 km on this oil and it looks like it can easily go longer. That's a testament

to both the engine and how it's operated. You must have a gentle touch with your Tundra. It looks great. The

TBN was still okay at 1.7. Some people wouldn't go any longer with this TBN reading, but we think anything

above 1.0 is still okay. Besides, the goal is to get as much use as possible out of the fill, right? So we'd try

8,500 km next to monitor. Universal averages show normal wear from this type of Toyota after 10,000 km.

No fuel/coolant found.

Not much to say here, looks great! I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not one for running 5w30 in a 5w20 engine but it won't hurt anything if that's what you decide to do. The viscosity from your Silverado report is pretty low, ideally it should be above 9.3 to be in grade for a Xw30. So really your Silverado was down to something in a 5w20 range.

As I said, I wouldn't change anything. Two pretty good reports at a pretty decent cost. I would keep them on the spec'd viscosity and try the little longer OCIs. Maybe look for a good deal on something that wouldn't shear as much in the Silverado. About the only other thing to do would be try some different brands to see if they could run a bit longer.

Your engine looks like it is in good shape, You could easily use 5w30 in both vehicles but does it really simplify anything? You get 5w20 for one and 5w30 for the other. I agree with cp3 in the sense that if you want to extend your OCI, try some other reputable brands. Wear should not change much between brands of quality lubes.

Thanks for the post!

A good report on a quality dino oil.

Your Tundra is back-spec'd for the Toyota synthetic 0W-20 and that would be a good choice if you do any unaided sub-zero F cold starts this coming winter. Also using a synthetic oil will allow you to extend the OCI some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back