Why do people use cheap copper plugs still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 sable came from the factory with motorcraft platnium plugs, i just did them this morning and discovered the ones in there were Autolite 104's...COpper plugs, not AP104 (same but platnium) On 9 year old spark plug wires.

And still ran just fine, right? Haha.

I'm with you on that one, I hate el cheapo parts.

On a FWD V6, which may well be the stupidest automotive design ever, I would agree. For other engines where plugs are easy, Im not sure there is a real good reason not to go Cu if you like to keep after things and cant keep a PM item in your engine past 36k.

Plus they are cheap so folks will do anything to save a dime.

Id personally keep the right plug in there.

People are cheap.Cheap I tell ya.
When its up to a $8.00 plug and a $2.00 one,especially in an older car,the cheap one wins everytime.Most people have no idea what a waste spark is,and unknowing that 30,000 miles equals 60,000 plug miles in a waste spark application engine.

Ford was putting platinums in everything by 2003. I'd seriously doubt that Ford even had copper plugs at that engine factory, so it couldn't have been a mistake. I'd bet someone changed them out early and put in the coppers. Check the owners manual and see what it says regarding the mileage to change the plugs at.

Also, Ford's factory installed plugs have a white spot on the end of the plug where the wire goes on.

Keith

Last edited:
Cheap Autolite coppers are the choice of the 3800 community. (or copper NGK as a second favorite).

Really why wouldn't you use copper spark plugs? They aren't hard to change. Generally 20-30k replacement for a nice refresh.

Copper Champion spark plugs (RC12YCC OEM) are still a great choice for X300 Jaguars (1995-1997) based on what I've read. They seem to work well with the on-plug ignition coils.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Cheap Autolite coppers are the choice of the 3800 community. (or copper NGK as a second favorite).

Really why wouldn't you use copper spark plugs? They aren't hard to change. Generally 20-30k replacement for a nice refresh.

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
Copper Champion spark plugs (RC12YCC OEM) are still a great choice for X300 Jaguars (1995-1997) based on what I've read. They seem to work well with the on-plug ignition coils.

the Champion RC9YC Coppers are the OE plug for my '05 Neon.
and i remember reading a thread over @ Dodgeforum.com, where something about the waste-spark ignition (which the neon has)doesn't play well with platinum plugs unless it's a double platinum (platinum on BOTH electrodes.)
(and anyone PLEASE feel free to correct me if i'm talking bollocks)

In my Hondas or PT Cruiser? They cost a fraction of the Iridium plugs and you find out early if your spark plug tube seals are leaking.
Plus, I never noticed a bit of difference in performance or fuel economy with Iridiums over Copper. In fact, the Turbo Clown Hearse registers more horsepower and smoother operation as measured by my highly calibrated seat of the pants dyno with regular NGK V-Power plugs

In the Mazda/Ford V6? No way. Upper intake has got to come off. (I've done it by just loosening and lifting the upper intake but it takes as long to do #3 by itself as it does to just go ahead and take the upper intake off)

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
My 2003 sable came from the factory with motorcraft platnium plugs, i just did them this morning and discovered the ones in there were Autolite 104's...COpper plugs, not AP104 (same but platnium) On 9 year old spark plug wires.

I think you are saying you bought the car used, and the previous owner swapped the plugs. You are asking why the previous owner, who may have been looking at selling the car soon, would have put cheaper plugs in.

Is that it?

Some cars run better on copper.
I for one prefer coppers, they run great, and they are easy to replace, so I have no problem with coppers.

My favorite plug brand is definitely NGK.

"easy to replace" is relative. I spent a couple hours replacing the OEM coppers in my 05 Durango Hemi. 16 plugs total. and most of the engine is behind the hood. really slow process. of course I replaced with plats.

Easy to get to? Copper.
PITA? Bestest, longest-lasting plugs in existence.

My Daughter had 150,xxx miles on a 1.7L CVIC at the first plug change. It got the $8 instead of the $15 plugs.

I have tried all those fancy big dollar Bosch plugs (platinum and Iridium )hoping sooner or later i would get better gas mileage in one of my vehicles throughout the years and finally came to the conclusion that i got better gas mileage with the copper plugs every time,,

I read years ago spark is spark the only thing different is if the insulator nose is a hot or cold design

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Easy to get to? Copper.
PITA? Bestest, longest-lasting plugs in existence.

My Daughter had 150,xxx miles on a 1.7L CVIC at the first plug change. It got the $8 instead of the $15 plugs.

ROFL........bestest...I like.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe

the Champion RC9YC Coppers are the OE plug for my '05 Neon.
and i remember reading a thread over @ Dodgeforum.com, where something about the waste-spark ignition (which the neon has)doesn't play well with platinum plugs unless it's a double platinum (platinum on BOTH electrodes.)
(and anyone PLEASE feel free to correct me if i'm talking bollocks)

Correct sir.

My truck came from the Dodge factory with Champion copper core plugs in it, RL12YC or something like that. I used Autolite copper cores for a long time in it, had no problems with any of them. Last year when I did my most recent tune up I went with copper core NGK's. No problem with those either, truck runs great. It is not hard at all to replace the plugs on my truck. Dodge engineers did a study some years ago and found that the Magnum engines were more efficient, ran better and made more power on a plain copper core plug. My wife's car is a Honda, and gets the NGK platinum plug that Honda recommends for it.

I'm surprised people are still using them. I don't like to make work, so I really like those super duty modern Iridium plugs than can got 100k or 200k miles in some cases.

Why do something several times over the life of the engine, when it can only be done once or twice?

OTOH copper plugs are great in pre 90 German cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back