Aftermarket cam position sensor(pic), Made in USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed a CPS/TDC sensor for a Civic, shopped around online but needed it now so ended up at Advance Auto. They had two, BWD/Intermotor and Beck Arnley. The Intermotor ~$55, B/A ~$9 more, no information at AAP online site regarding country of origin. Limited lifetime warranty for Intermotor, B/A 12 months. Went with the Intermotor primarily on price, knocked $20 off with an online code.

When I picked up at store, pleased and somewhat surprised to see Hecho en Estados Unidos. As far as I can tell Intermotor is a division of Standard Motor Products.
Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor019.jpg

How much more was the genuine Honda sensor? Made in USA does not impress me one bit, however, if the brand is as reliable as Trav is saying, then it sounds like you made the right choice.

I couldn't care less whether "Made in USA does not impress" you one bit.

Simply sharing an observation based on an experience, and a pleasant surprise. And as I service this vehicle, the only person I have please or answer to is me.
55.gif

Dealer price as always is list, ~$59, and in this case I didn't want to or need to play the negotiation game. Because of the code that triggered this service, which I may go into later on another thread, no doubt this was the best option for me.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
How much more was the genuine Honda sensor? Made in USA does not impress me one bit, however, if the brand is as reliable as Trav is saying, then it sounds like you made the right choice.

28.gif

I recently bought a couple sensors for my Hyundai. They were genuine Hyundai sensors and they were made in the USA. I was a little surprised to see that, since most of the genuine Hyundai parts I've bought were made in Korea.

Sort of a strange, trolling post.

I took this thread just to be that the OP was sharing what he found and was pleasantly surprised to see it was made in the USA. Sometimes people are glad to see an item is USA made, because it often means it will be higher-quality than a Chinese part, which seems to be the frequent alternative. Also, that means more jobs in the US.

Last edited:
I have to agree "Made in USA" to me is congruent with "Made equal to most, maybe better, maybe worse."

I've had good ol' US parts/products fail just as well as the others.

Point being as long as it works & your happy who cares right?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I took this thread just to be that the OP was sharing what he found and was pleasantly surprised to see it was made in the USA.

Exactly how it was intended, nothing more. It's a bonus to read that the company's product is respected by a member familiar with it's stuff.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
....Oh, was there a CEL for this sensor?

Yes, and without getting into detail now, it was one that canCELed itself. Pun intended.

It DOES impress me as long as the part is as good or better than the OEM part, it means that a few more jobs are here in the USA.

It's true that Standard Parts/Intermotor products are generally pretty good usually as good or better than OEM.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Sort of a strange, trolling post.

Do not expect him to explain himself. He seem to like to dump a big steaming pile in a thread many times and never comes back to explain himself.

He is not value added much as he thinks he is.

When I was looking into Cam/Crank Sensors for my Altima, I found a variety of brands which were all the same as the OE. What I did find was a brand(BWD) that had been a new "Redesigned Sensor" for my engin and that's the sensor(s) that I bought.

I don't know if it's as important who makes the sensor as it is, that the sensors are up to date in design/redesign.

BWD, Wells, Beck/Arnley, GPSorensen etc., are all good brands and I have had good success with all of'em!

Having maintained the vehicle for said sensor for ~11 years and ~168k miles, I think I have a good idea of the parameters I'm willing accept for this job. I did research the part, the company, and the warranty prior to purchase, and was satisfied it would meet 'my' needs and requirements. Again though, that wasn't the point of the thread.

As for the Hoot's referenced steaming pile dump, best I can ascertain is someone's sensibility was offended at my audacity to post a thread starter mentioning the use of any aftermarket part. Fortunately as mentioned, the only standards I have to observe in this case, are mine. And being audacious feels good every now and again.
55.gif

I purchased a stant thermostat last week that was stamped "USA". Kinda surprised me. Authentic mopar 'stats are made in mexico.

I'm not picky about where my stuff is made, but it is always a nice surprise. for example I bought a new igloo lunch cooler, and was surprised it was made here (in TX in fact)

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Do not expect him to explain himself. He seem to like to dump a big steaming pile in a thread many times and never comes back to explain himself.

He is not value added much as he thinks he is.

Actually, I am usually very good at replying to every thread I participate in. It was simply an honest mistake where I had forgotten to add a subscription for this one, which is why I forgot to respond.

With that said, I apologize in that I could have probably relayed my message in a less controversial manner. Blatant support of made in USA products without consideration of their quality or specifications is not a smart idea. However, it's clear that the OP has done his diligent research before making his purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back