Glue torn door weatherstrip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all likely hood, I will replace the torn weatherstrip on my Caravan front door.

But, has anyone had any success repairing it with adhesive?

What kind of glue is best? Loctite has a "rubber fortified" super glue that is supposed to flex a bit.

I am also considering Goop. Is there any difference in the dozen or so different formulations besides the package label?

Any comments or experience with this is appreciated.

I believe there is weatherstrip glue. 3M maybe. I used superglue before. It holds but does not look good and was surprisingly hard to do.

+1

The 3M weatherstrip adhesive will work the best. It's available in yellow or black. The black is the way to go.

+2.
3M weatherstrip adhesive (black) works really well.
It also won't eat the weatherstrip material, which the solvents in some adhesives might do.
I recently used this stuff to glue the padded plastic cover back onto the metal glove box door of my old BMW, which had come off two days before on a 95F afternoon.
Worked great, and the plastic cover has stayed on for 1K miles and a couple of 100F+ afternoons with no signs of loosening.
This is meaninglful, since NVH control on less than perfectly smooth roads was apparently not on BMW's to do list when they made a convertible of the e36.

Thanks for the quick replies. In my case, the weather strip has not detached from the metal in one piece. My weather strip is torn or split. So, I am looking to glue rubber to rubber.

Will the 3M work for that application? If yes, can I expect to find it at local auto parts stores?

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears to be a contact type of adhesive...let it "dry", then it sticks instantly??? This is what I believe I want.

I will probably go with this. Great help, thanks again.

Last edited:
I think it'll work fine glueing the material back together.
It's readily available.
Walmart stocks it, as would any parts store.
Follow the directions.
Apply to both mating surfaces and allow to dry until tacky before bonding.
This won't take long in hot weather, since IIRC, the stuff is 90%+ VOCs.

I would use tire patch glue to glue the weatherstrip back together, 3M weatherstripping glue to fix it in place, and if it didn't match up just right where glued back together, a thin layer of black RTV to smooth it out. If you need to close the door before the RTV sets up, just put some waxed paper over top of it so it doesn't stick.

For gluing the weatherstrip to metal, a designated weatherstrip adhesive is best.
For cracks or to repair the weatherstrip itself, super glue is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back