Rotella T1 40 W diesel oil (CF-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason not to run this oil in an old, flat tappet, non cat engine?
Car is only run in warm weather and given a warm up period before hard use.

Also, a friend has been running Detroit Diesel 2 stroke monograde motor oil in his old race car. Any negative aspects to this?

Thanks to everyone, this oil business is getting to confusing for me!!!

A CF2 oil is designed for 2 stroke Detroit Diesel engines. As such it has very low ash levels and therefore necessarily low detergent and ZDDP antiwear levels. I would most definitely not run it in a (4 stroke) flat tappet engine because of these low additive levels.

If for some reason one wants a 40 oil in this situation find a CF oil designed for 4 strokes, like Delo 400 30 or 40 for instance.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77118&docFormat=PDF

Charlie

I think the OP is referring to using the lube in a gasoline engine, not diesel.
In a gasoline powered engine, without a cat, I don't see an issue. Back when we were still running Detroits we used the CF-2 speced lube in several different gas powered engines without issue.
We always had it in bulk, so it was used out of convienence.

T1 has NO gasoline engine approvals except for the SAE 50 is rated SJ-but, I highly doubt that for short intervals in a gas motor that you would blow up anything. It is an HDEO after all, I use the Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 in the boat and other old flat/solid tappet engines (brother's 406 small block dirt track car)-it is also rated CF-2 in addition to SM, SL, and CJ-4. It's also a LOT cheaper than T1 (unless you're getting it for free!
wink.gif
)

Yes the SAE 50 Rotella T1 is SJ rated, but it only gets one "check mark" for antiwear out of maximum of 3. I can guarantee that because it is advertised as "low ash" and is primarily designed for DD 2 strokes that it is low in ZDDP, I'd estimate Zn~0.06%. The OP specifically mentioned "flat tappet" engine and therefore by implication is asking about ZDDP content.
If he really wants "3 check mark" (Shell's scale) flat tappet protection, I'd use at least T3 15W40. Or if he has a big stash of free T1, add 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of Redline Breakin Additive to 5-6 qt oil sump.
Just because it is an HDEO doesn't mean it automatically has lots of ZDDP. DD 2 strokes have very specific oil requirements.

Charlie

John Deere Plus 50 15w-40 had one of the highest levels of ZDDP of any diesel oils. I run this in my flat tappet Ford 460's (two),, does it nned it??.. I dont know but several pro 460 builders tell me the spring pressure are not that hight requiring all the ZDDP.

As Charlie has pointed out more than once in this thread, a dual rated HDEO is not the same as a two stroke diesel engine oil. If it's not dual rated, use it at your own peril in a gasoline engine. JD+ 15w-40 and Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 are completely different creatures from a two stroke diesel only engine oil.

Sell or give the stuff to someone who can actually use it and buy a real dual rated HDEO, if you want to run HDEO.

Thanks for all the info. I am looking for higher levels of ZDDP for my gas engines.
I'm in ontario, canada and haven't been able to locate a source of Delo 400 yet.
Still waiting to hear back from manufacturer on a supplier

Try Husky/Mohawk. They are the main distributors of Chevron products in Canada. Aside from that, some trucking outfits may have it available, but Husky is the "official" distributor. Heck, the Husky Travel Centres will have it on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I use the Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 in the boat and other old flat/solid tappet engines (brother's 406 small block dirt track car)-it is also rated CF-2 in addition to SM, SL, and CJ-4. It's also a LOT cheaper than T1 (unless you're getting it for free!
wink.gif
)

T1 SAE30 is cheaper at Walmart than 1300.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back