Polaris Synthetic Fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I realize this is very much like closing the gate after all the horses have left... but -

I recently ordered a full Polaris synthetic fluid kit. It came with engine oil and oil filter, and all the specific fluids for the differentials and transmissions - etc. etc.

Anyway, what is the general consensus of this stuff? Anyone know who makes Polaris' fluids?

There are some crazy specifications for this stuff. The engine oil, PS-4 Plus, is a 2w-50. The angle drive is specified as GL5 80-90 weight gear lube as another "option."

Anyway - has anyone spec'ed Polaris fluids or replacements? Or is the Polaris stuff pretty good stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Overpriced lubricants. Ive been buying Polaris atvs since 1992 and back then they didnt have a complete line of lubricants out there and they would spec ATF type F for the hubs and Sae 30 oil for the transmission, now they have AGL for the transmission and a assortment of overpriced, crazy names doo lubes. I very seldom buy the polaris lubes anymore and have no trouble. The transmissions are nothing but a gearbox, a simple gearbox at that. I use Rotella 5w40 in the engines with Purolator (Honda car) filters.

So is your opinion "overpriced, not very good" or "overpriced, but a decent oil?"

I guess the price didn't really scare me. Heck, I spend about $70 an oil change on my pickup. For the same price I got the oil and oil filter, and enough fluids to do the axles at least once, maybe twice.

But... I'd there ARE better options out there: I would rather use them.

Anyone have any idea who makes their oils? Anyone have cross spec sheet or info on what alternatives meet all the polaris requirements? You sure are right about them giving crazy names to everything... Angle drive fluid, hill decent control fluids, etc etc.

Originally Posted By: md_lucky_13
Hi All

I realize this is very much like closing the gate after all the horses have left... but -

I recently ordered a full Polaris synthetic fluid kit. It came with engine oil and oil filter, and all the specific fluids for the differentials and transmissions - etc. etc.

Anyway, what is the general consensus of this stuff? Anyone know who makes Polaris' fluids?

There are some crazy specifications for this stuff. The engine oil, PS-4 Plus, is a 2w-50. The angle drive is specified as GL5 80-90 weight gear lube as another "option."

Anyway - has anyone spec'ed Polaris fluids or replacements? Or is the Polaris stuff pretty good stuff?

Thanks in advance!

My Polaris 500HO (atv)was much quieter on cold start with European Formula 0W40 Mobil 1. Wouldn't buy Polaris again.

I don't know much about the Polaris fluids I admit, but if you are under warranty I would at least try and stick with the Polaris fluids for the tranny and drive etc. As for the engine oil? I don't think you could go wrong with basically any synthetic or conventional oil that is in the viscosity ballpark. I use Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my Polaris 550x2 for two years now. Works great. While the rest of the ATV could probably use similar off-the-shelf fluids, a warranty would sway me to use Polaris brands being that in the manual they are so specific. And trust me....riding a Polaris you really don't want to void a warranty in any way.
To answer your original question about who makes it and is it any good? I have no idea.

I have respect for the capabilities of Polaris machines BUT they ofen break down and their OEM parts are overpriced by even Polaris lover's opinions. Talking out my butt because I do not know the specifics of their fluids but if they are following their parts mantra, I'd have to say overpriced because their name is on it.

And if it matters, oem kawasaki parts for my Brute are pretty overpirced as well!!! Polaris IMHO trying to make themselves aMercedes of ATV's.

After seeing the poor bearing reliability of my Polaris and my co-workers, I'd stay away from any fluid labeled Polaris.

In fact, I now use Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in the engine and M1 synthetic lubes in the gear boxes. And, I now have zero problems. Hmmm.

Im in the same boat as luck 13 so lets look at this. Oil Experts please give advice. Per Polaris spec sheet lets cross this vodoo oil in to auto parts off the shelf items. Engine oil Polais ( PS-4 Plus Preformance Synthetic 2W-50 4-cycle oil) what shall we substute fill in the blank.___________ Next we have Polaris Gearcase/Transmission lubricants Polaris Brand = AGL Plus transmission fluid Please fill in the blank____________ next polaris On Demand Drive Plus Fluid.______________ next is Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid some pretty fancy names fill in the blank please______ Oh ya Premium All Season Grease_________ Polaris # 2871460 Starter Drive Grease ?___________ Last but not least Premium U-Joint Lube__________ I think I can Handle the Dierlectric grease (Nyogel) I have a advanced auto parts near by a NAPA and a Auto zone , Oh and a O reillys auto parts also Make it easy on me guys Im going to go broke just keeping my machine oiled up Ha Ha Thanks for all you Input fellas.

What a maintenance nightmare. Polaris really needs to realize that having all these different fluid requirements and such a frequent maintenance schedule....really turns people off. I've got a Polaris. Wish I didn't. I failed to do ample research and am very disappointed in mine. Clunky, unrefined, and maintenance heavy....if you follow the schedule. Too many different fluids. I should have gotten a different brand.
Good luck....didn't me to rant so much.

Polaris lubes are made by a generic oil company out of Minnesota called Lubetech. This company provides a complete turn-key product(s) for any oem company wanting lubes with their custom label on it. They buy base stocks and additives from wherever, blend it, package it, inventory and ship it to your dealers for a piece of the action. All you have to do is price it and market it. For all you know you are getting the lowest priced oil for a premium price. Every manufacturer with a motor has an oil with their name on it, every one. Its a big revenue stream for the oems because owners think it the best product(and the dealers push it) when in reality its no different and no better than the lowest cost lubes for sale anywhere. Polaris (and every other oem) main motive in selling oil with their name on it is to make more money. Nothing wrong with making money but don't be thinking you buying a better product than anywhere else because you are not. No more than Walmart "Honey Nut Spins" are better than 'Cherrios".

This got me motivated, i changed my rear diff Fluid on my 09 Polaris Ranger with Redline 75/90 SYN gear oil, And yes i went to complete outdoor and bought the extrememly overpriced front diff fluid and transmission/transfercase oil, $40.00 for three quarts.. total rip off i know, my local Polaris dealer wouldnt even bother telling me what weights or typ of fluids they are.. just regurgitated what was printed on the "polaris bottle" i didnt have time to get a breakdown of what these fluids are before i did the servicing, but have since found out the front diff is Mobil 424 and the transmission/TC is type F although i have not confirmed this yet..

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Every manufacturer with a motor has an oil with their name on it, every one.

WRONG. VW, Porsche, Ferrari, Fiat, Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, etc. do not have their own motor oils.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
and the transmission/TC is type F although i have not confirmed this yet..

No, ATF is not for use in the transmission. It use a specifit gear lube of the correct viscosity. Not sure what you mean by TC though? I have been involved in providing lubes to local ATV dealers for over 10 yrs. I know most all of what goes in a Polaris ATV and many others, its my business. I have many of the service manuals and I have the complete Lube Chart showing what oils and filters to use. It cost me money for this so I am not going to be giving it away to all.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

WRONG. VW, Porsche, Ferrari, Fiat, Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, etc. do not have their own motor oils.

Ok, I figured someone would find fault, they always do. Rephrase, JUST about Every manufacturer with a motor has an oil with their name on it.

H-D uses a custom blender, Polaris, John Deere who sources from many known and unknown oil companies. They all contract with generic oil companies to make them a product to sell. These same companies you likely never heard of because if the make products with their name on it, its just another oil on the shelf at Fleet Farm or the truck stop. They land a big contract with an OEM like Polaris or Harley-Davidson by being the low bidder.

I am not saying its bad oil, I am saying it not the oil to end all oil like the oem and the dealer claim.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Ok, I figured someone would find fault, they always do. Rephrase, JUST about Every manufacturer with a motor has an oil with their name on it.

WRONG again. Less than a fourth of all manufacturers with a motor actually have oils in their names.

FROM "Kuntry" on ATVnation

The below list is what I have used, seen used or read about. I will still say this, I recommend atleast using the Polaris On Demand AWD fluid but I will post the information I have found elsewhere.

Engine Oil.........................Polaris recommends 0w-40 synthetic (newer machines, 6/7/800) and 10w-40 dino or Synthetic in the 96-03 400/500's.
Amsoil 0-40
Royal Purple products
Pretty much any oil out there from Mobil to Castrol to Quaker State, everyone will agree that you keep it changed regularly.

Transmission Oil...............Polaris Recommends AGL, Gear-case Lubricant.
I have used synthetic transmission fluid and synthetic gear oil (huge difference in viscosity), the syn tranny fluid is about the same viscosity.
Older machines with the rear diff and tranny in one housing, quality 80W-90 gear oil.
Newer machines (5/6/7/800's) with the separated tranny and diff, DEXRON/Synthetic all purpose Transmission fluid.

Rear gear case.................Polaris recommends ATV Angle Drive Fluid
Quality 80w-90 gear oil, most are using some type of synthetic gear lube.

Front AWD hubs..............Polaris recommends Polaris Demand Drive Hub Fluid
Many, including myself went with Type F transmission fluid without even a hicup.

Front gear case (outbound AWD) ....Polaris Recommends Front Gear Case Oil (NON-LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL)
Folks usually use a quality 80W-90 gear lube, most go with synthetic.

Front gear housing (centralized hilliard (AWD)... Polaris Recommends Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid
This is the one that is touchy........ I have always used Polaris oil here, at 5 oz a bottle it will last a while.
But, I have also seen references to these Mobil 424, Mobil Fluid LT, J20D (john deere $), Gulf Low Temperature Tractor Oil SAE 5W-20 API GL-4, AMSOIL ATH Synthetic/Tractor Hydraulic Transmission Fluid.

Brake Fluid..................Polaris Recommends Polaris Dot 3
Any DOT 3/4 brake fluid.

Coolant.......................Polaris Recommends Polaris 60/40 Anti-Freeze on newer machines 2003 and before 50/50 Ethylene Glycol-based for aluminum radiator and engines(most cars these days)
Almost all coolants at your auto parts store these days are for aluminum.

Grease......................Polaris Recommends Polaris All Season
What ever YOUR favorite is.

Ok everyone, opinions are like :censored: everyone has one and they think there's don't stink. Above I have told you what Polaris Recommends and what I have found/used over the years. Take this info as what it is and make your own choices.:wheeler:

sounds like he knows what he's talking about but user beware...

AND......AMSOIL.

Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part #2873602 = Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lube (TCC) TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE

Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part #2871653 = Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (SVG) REAR GEAR CASE

Polaris Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid part #2871654 (old part #-new #2876251, my edit) = Amsoil Shock Therapy Light (STL) FRONT CASE-DEMAND DRIVE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back