What do you know about Duralast Gold Organic pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to do a front brake job on a 2005 Lancer Oz Rally. The rotors and brake pads look to be worn out. I was thinking of using Duralast Gold brake pads and Duralast Rotors due to good feedback. Prices are good. However, I believe most of the good reviews of Duralast Gold brake pads were based on the ceramic version. For this car, only organic version is available. What do you think about this?

Personally I wouldn't worry, though ceramic pads will save you dark brake dust if you have nice wheels. Conventional pads tend to cause more buildup.

Unless you're driving it pretty agressively I wouldn't be heartbroken to stick to good quality conventionals myself.

If any of your local stores has them in stock, I'd go in and take a look in person. You can see where they're made and the country of origin.

If they're made in China or have a lower friction rating than the OE pads, I wouldn't buy them. There are too many affordable, first world brake pads to go Chinese, IMO.

NAPA rotors are good, lots of Corvette Users race with them and I have never heard complaints. Pretty reasonable price too.

I tend to stay away from ceramics, unless they were OEM. I don't like the increased braking pressure needed and worse stops. Sometimes ceramic pads can cause pulsating during stopping. I took a set off of my Corvette and replaced rotors.

If you are interested in upgraded brakes, check out following for rotors:

http://brakeperformance.com/index.php?ad=impact.radius

slotted rotors will eliminate pulsating brakes, and dimpled or drilled rotors are just for looks, they are okay for street use but not racing.

and I would recommend HAWK HPS brake pads, they dust less than stock but stop much better.

Last edited:
On my car slotteds were installed via a TSB for rotor scoring. This was simply due to a way too aggressive pad on a street car.

I cannot see slots doing anything for pulsations caused by the rotor being 'warped' or having pad deposits in it.

Please explain

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Personally I wouldn't worry, though ceramic pads will save you dark brake dust if you have nice wheels. Conventional pads tend to cause more buildup.

Ironically, the nice OZ wheels were part of the draw/allure of that option package on that model lancer.
lol.gif

But, of course, he could just wash them more often!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

slotted rotors will eliminate pulsating brakes, and dimpled or drilled rotors are just for looks, they are okay for street use but not racing.

and I would recommend HAWK HPS brake pads, they dust less than stock but stop much better.

What's your affiliation?

I'm pretty sure racing teams use cross drilled rotors.

Aren't Hawk HPS brakes ceramic?

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Aren't Hawk HPS brakes ceramic?

Hawk HPS are some kind of carbon metalic or semi-metallic. In any case, I am personally not interested in them. I have seen many reports claiming they have poor cold bite.

My understanding slotted rotors don't do much in a street vehicle compared to blanks. I might consider them, though I must say that AutoZone Duralast rotors are a good value since they're priced $22 a pop for this car. I am thinking of picking up a set of these and spending a bit more on quality brake pads, perhaps StopTech Street Performance ($65 set on amazon)

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
NAPA rotors are good, lots of Corvette Users race with them and I have never heard complaints. Pretty reasonable price too.

I tend to stay away from ceramics, unless they were OEM. I don't like the increased braking pressure needed and worse stops. Sometimes ceramic pads can cause pulsating during stopping. I took a set off of my Corvette and replaced rotors.

Respectfully saying, but you have a lot of misinformation here. I am also a Corvette owner who does the occasional track race.

1. I know of NO person serious about racing their Corvette or any car who uses NAPA rotors. Most all run Brembo, Powerslot and other name brand. The NAPA rotors are good daily use, but not racing.

2. There is NO increased brake pressure needed for ceramic pads. This is more true with hi-performance semi-metallics.

3. Slotted rotors will not and cannot prevent pulsating brakes. Pulsating brakes indicate warped rotors and no slots can prevent that. They will be more tolerable due to getting rid of heat so they probably do resist warping better however. I ran a set of Powerslot rotors that handled hi heat and braking very well.

But hey, I do agree with you on the Hawk pads!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A strong recommendation for the Stoptech pads from me.

One of the BEST street pads and even ok for a track day!

Hi. By the way, do you know how many miles they normally last?

Had my set on my car for over 25k miles, including track days at road courses and drag strip passes galore.

Still have about 40% material remaining.

Note that the life on a 4000 pound sedan that can go 180 mph may not be typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back