Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample 1: Factory Fill - 1,451km
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2266283

Sample 2: Fuchs Titan GT1 0W20 - 7,415km - OCI 12 months

OilSample.jpg

-------------------
Comments on report:
Wear metals remain at elevated levels in spectrographic results.
Silicon is elevated indicating dust entry which could cause increased wear.
Please check intake ducting system as a precaution against dust entry.
Oil change is recommended to flush compartment and restore oil condition.
------------------
Driving Conditions:
All city driving
------------------
Refilled with: Dealership 5W40 (Spec: 5W30)
Filter: Genuine
Oil will be drained and replaced with GT1 again for a OCI of 12 months.

The comment about dust and checking the intake has been in every single sample I have taken in all three vehicles.

Last edited:
No, the car is still under warranty so it is still taken to the dealership. As 0W20 is not specified for the focus here (5W30 is), if i gave them GT1 to use they probably refuse to use it. I'll just change the 5W40 out for the 0W20 on the weekend and run it for the year.

They seem to think its fine to go out of spec and use 5W40 and a non ford spec oil (M2C913-B) because "thicker oil is better".

Is it the same 2.0 used in the US-spec Focus? If so, there are hundreds of thousands of Focuses running around the US on Xw20, and they want to use 5w40?

5w40 will definitely hurt fuel economy, and it isn't necessary for protection. I think you did well with your GT1.

14.11 TBN on a 7415km mile oil!

Since this is a new engine, I don't think wear metals are high.

Zinc is low.

Is this the Fuchs that costs $25 a quart?

Last edited:
Nice UOA, stick to 0w-20 unless you start driving at high speeds(100 mph/160 kmh at least) for long periods of time(1 hour constantly or longer, for example, and as frequent occurrence etc) or you take it to long auto-crossing events(long periods of time near red line and pinging the limiter)....

Otherwise, 0w-20 looks great to me in this report.

I'd like to know more about the TBN reading here...really 14 after 4,600 miles and 1 year? What is the starting TBN???

Hi IPCOlsenVZ,

Thanks for the great report on the Zn free, VII free, ester based Fuchs Titan GT-1 0W-20 long drain race oil.

Just so you know this Fuchs oil with it's HTHSV in the 2.85-2.90cP range is better thought of as a light 0W-30. So you're not really running a lighter than spec' oil.

Am I misreading this report as your Si is only at 14 for a very new car i.e. less than 10k km and this same silicon had come down by more than half since the factory fill....looks just fine to me
21.gif
. I see no good reasons to not continue with this same oil, same grade.

Brons2 - Not sure if its the same motor the the US version but its the 2.0L Duratec motor

Loobed - It cost me $80 for 4L.

Itslimjim - Im not sure on a starting TBN value.

Caterham - No this was the old version but the XTL version has been released in OZ.

21rouge- SI has gone from 44 to 14 over its first two oil changes.

Originally Posted By: IPCOlsenVZ
21rouge- SI has gone from 44 to 14 over its first two oil changes.

Right. And so this Si # is just fine. Beyond cost and maybe availability why don't you continue with this grade of FUCHS?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Am I misreading this report as your Si is only at 14 for a very new car i.e. less than 10k km and this same silicon had come down by more than half since the factory fill....looks just fine to me
21.gif
. I see no good reasons to not continue with this same oil, same grade.

Agreed. The lab is confused. It's normal to have some silicon leftover from the assembly line. A few more oil changes and it should come down to single digits.

TBN of 14 after 7K km sounds like an error.

Originally Posted By: IPCOlsenVZ

Quattro pete - i know 14 does sound high but its not the first time. i run M1 0w40 in another vehicle (low milage) and get values ranging from 10.7 to 12 when mobil's tds states a starting value of 11.8.

Which means that whatever test method they use for TBN is not the same as what the rest of the world uses.

How noisy the engine is running with Fuchs GT1 0W-20, compared to other oils?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back