FL-820S - Ford Racing version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into using this as opposed to the regular Motorcraft FL-820S at my next oil change, and having done a search, the newest set of results seems to be dating back to 2009. Thought maybe someone might have some updated information.

I pay ~$3.24 for the FL-820S, and the Ford Racing version is not locally available. So if I do decide to opt for it, it will have to be ordered online from the States and delivered. Would it be worth the hassle/price, or should I just stick with what's working?

Bit of background - I use a PAO based oil (LM Synthoil High Tech 5W-40), and religiously change it every 6,250 miles. Prior to changing the oil, I use LM Pro-Line Engine Flush (500 ml) and allow the engine to idle for 20 minutes. At this interval, I also replace my air filter (FA-1032) as well as clean my throttle body and combustion chambers, MAF and IAT sensors. I allow the oil to drain for a good 2 hours or so.

The reason I'm looking into a "better" filter, other than my obsession with having something better than required, is because of the local weather conditions. No matter what you do - replace the filter as often as you want or even use a pre-filter, fine dust particles always get past the air filter. When I look into my zip tube, which I also wash at every oil change, there's always a beigeish tint to it and enough dust to lift with your fingers. I was hoping the Ford Racing version might have better filtering capabilities to trap any of these finer dust particles finding their way into the engine.

Having said that, if there is a better filter worth importing myself, I'm wide open to suggestions. Thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

the ford racing filters 20u @99% absolute and yes they filter much better then the reg. motorcraft filters which filters 20u @80%...here are the restriction values 2.5psid @3gpm,5.6psid@ 10gpm,7.3psid @ 13 gpm...hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the input! Embarrassingly, however, I'm not as knowledgeable about filters as I am about motor oil.
blush.gif
How much of an improvement would this be over a regular Motorcraft filter? Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks very much for the input! Embarrassingly, however, I'm not as knowledgeable about filters as I am about motor oil.
blush.gif
How much of an improvement would this be over a regular Motorcraft filter? Thanks again!

Well, if you look at Amsoil's test of the 820S, the efficiency difference is 93.7% for the 820S vs. 99% @ 20u.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

So, it's about 5% better... Add in that it flows better and is better-constructed (thicker can, much heavier base plate, higher quality base gasket) and has more capacity (and more media), I don't think there's any question that it's a better filter. When you add in that it has the bypass in the base (like the 820S) and I think it ends up being pretty much the best filter you can use for an application which specifies it.

It's up to you to decide whether or not it's "worth it". Truth is, the 820S will probably do just fine. Personally, I don't mind spending the extra money on it--but I'm also realistic about any advantages it may provide. That said, you're in a much more challenging environment than I am.

BTW, I didn't post pictures of the last one I cut open, but I used it for 15K and it look just like the one I cut open @ 10K, which is to say "just fine".

this info is from ford website and ford racing.i agree with hardcore about rousch filters same filter as ford racing.falcon, don't worry about not being knowledgeable iam the same way i been learning throughout the years and this site helps alot.jod is right too.your ford dealers carry the ford racing filters at least they do around here.i have learned that a fast flowing filter is number one then comes filtration.therefore,i use the stainless steel mesh filters which has no restriction at 57gpm.granted my cars flows alot less prob 4gpm per engine design.but i know that there is no engine drag caused by the oil filter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the ford racing filters 20u @99% absolute and yes they filter much better then the reg. motorcraft filters which filters 20u @80%...here are the restriction values 2.5psid @3gpm,5.6psid@ 10gpm,7.3psid @ 13 gpm...hope this helps.

A PureOne is going to give you the same or better performance - might be easier to obtain too. It's rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns and has even slightly better flow performance (less PSID) than that Ford racing filter above.

4.1 PSID @ 10 GPM
5.8 PSID @ 13 GPM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Thanks very much for the info! Having looked at the PureONE on their website, it shows the 99.9% efficiency is "Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001". Does this apply to all filters, or just the PL30001?
21.gif

Also, what about Amsoil's EAO-11 or Purolator's Synthetic Oil Filter?

Great, I forgot to place the order. Before I proceed, given these two synthetic media options:

- Mobil 1 M1-210 Extended Performance
- Bosch D3410 Distance Plus High Performance

And the regular Mann ML1006, can I get some opinions on what to go with? Thanks very much!
thumbsup2.gif

The Mobil and Bosch D+ are more orientated for extended drains i.e. 10k to 15k miles. I'm too lazy to look up their efficiencies however.

The Mann filter you listed is white, telling me its likely the American made version which is simply a Purolator Classic. It's different from the OEM grade Mann filter I use on my Volkswagen.

Get something that's good at filtering out the tiny stuff. I'd stick with the PureOne. Your drain intervals don't require the Mobil or Bosch.

If you happen to come across a plain "Bosch Premium" 3410, it is essentially, if not identical, to the PureOne.

Thanks very much for the input! From a quick Google search, efficnency seems to be:

- M1-210: 99.6%
- D3410: 99.9%

I'll buy a Bosch and a PureONE, to cure my curiosity.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks very much for the info! Having looked at the PureONE on their website, it shows the 99.9% efficiency is "Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001". Does this apply to all filters, or just the PL30001?
21.gif

It's standard practice for filter manufacturers to reference one or two of their filters that the ISO 4548-12 is conducted with.

All but the 4 smallest spin-on oil filters from Purolator are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns per the ISO test. The 4 smallest PureOne spin-ons that Purolator makes are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns based on the ISO 4548-12 with the PL30001. Look on the actual box that the PureOne filter comes in ... it will say if it's a 20 micron or 40 micron rated filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back