Opinion of Pennzoil 10w40 HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the opinion of Pennzoil 10w40 High Mileage? I plan to use it in my 95 bmw 525i with 211,000 miles. Got it on sale at Advanced. Been using Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 blend.

I've switched my '96 Honda Accord to the 5W30 Mobil HM...used their 10W30 weight (before the 5W30 was available) in my PT Cruiser. I like it...the Honda (and the PT Cruiser) runs smoothly with it and I've already seen a reduction in the seepage from my rear seal. I like the UOA's I've seen here for the Mobil 1 HM and the fact that it's a synthetic...the Pennzoil HM seems to be regarded highly also.

Originally Posted By: Russell
What is the opinion of Pennzoil 10w40 High Mileage? I plan to use it in my 95 bmw 525i with 211,000 miles. Got it on sale at Advanced. Been using Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 blend.

The first question would be why do you think you need a high mileage oil? Aside from the vehicle having high mileage, does it burn or leak oil?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Russell

The first question would be why do you think you need a high mileage oil? Aside from the vehicle having high mileage, does it burn or leak oil?

Almost zero oil burning. I have some leakage around an oil filter housing that I hoped HM oil with seal swelling properties would help. So far, Valvoline is of no help.

In many cases there is a gasket or o-ring that seals the oil filter housing to the block. If thats the case I would just replace the gasket or seal. A HM oil will only help with seals that are dried out. If there is damage nothing short of replacing the seal will help.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In many cases there is a gasket or o-ring that seals the oil filter housing to the block. If thats the case I would just replace the gasket or seal. A HM oil will only help with seals that are dried out. If there is damage nothing short of replacing the seal will help.

^^^^ +1 - especially if it is fairly easy to access and change.

MaxLife is known as one of the better oils for slowing leaks. If it's not doing it, then I would agree that fixing the leak is the best course of action, rather than switching oils.

Aside from that, how long have you tried the MaxLife? It's not going to make a significant difference in a very short period of time, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
MaxLife is known as one of the better oils for slowing leaks. If it's not doing it, then I would agree that fixing the leak is the best course of action, rather than switching oils.

Aside from that, how long have you tried the MaxLife? It's not going to make a significant difference in a very short period of time, either.

I agree, I have ben using maxlif for several oil changes about 9,000 miles. Time to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back