Computer won't go in standby mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I did a Google and an Ask.com search. I did not find what I am looking for, the articles I did find went way over my head. I don't know much about computers.

The problem I am having is my computer will not go into standby mode and it will not go into sleep mode on its own. This just started last night. When I was done using my computer I hit the start button, clicked "turn off computer" and then clicked "stand by", just like I always do when I will be away from the computer for a while. When I clicked stand by, nothing happened. Computer will not go in stand by at all, whether I do it or after it is idle for 10 minutes it is supposed to go into standy by on its own. It does not do that any more either.

This is an old Dell desk top computer I am using, probably 5 or 6 years old now. I run Windows XP and it is set up to receive all MS updates every night. I just checked it on Sunday and all updates in it are current. I did a full virus and spyware scan on Sunday too, I use the paid version of AVG and it is also up to date. No viruses were found.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. To be honest I have a hard time interpreting the help topics on the MS web site. I did read that when this happens it could mean the drivers for my hardware are out of date. Does that mean it's time for a new computer?

It's not time for a new computer.
The only reason I say that is.. Why replace a computer over a standby problem? That has been one of the most problematic things ever on any MS operating system. Standby and Sleep modes that is.
Just shut it down completely instead when you're not using it.

I had that problem with my XP system too. Right click on the desktop go into properties, screen saver, power. Then click on standby, change the amount of time, then change it back to what it was originally set to, and click apply. Allow the machine to go into standby on its own. It is an issue that has been a problem with Win XP.

Make sure that you have it set so that the Monitor shuts first, then the hard drive, then it goes into standby. All at different times. I don't use a screen saver. HTH

just dont use sleep or standby, they are somewhat problematic
I have had 3 computers they never worked on new out of the box.
(for friends/family)

Thanks for the help. I tried system restore, did 4 different restore points and none of them worked. Computer said it was unable to use any of the restore points I had picked, and I even went back to one from Feb. 1st, and it still would not work. It also would not undo my last system restore either.

I did what Demarpaint said and for some reason the time to wait to enter standby mode was changed to "Never". I set it back to 10 minutes like I had it before and now standby works again. It also works again when I enter standby manually from the start/turn off computer button.

I don't know what happened here, I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for your help.

I bought a "used" Dell 2.8 with XP Pro which would happily turn itself back on every day. Hit F8 on boot and find your way to settings.

I remember my windows ME computer would do that all the time. Used to drive me nuts so much id pull the plug on it and call it a day, good times, computer had so many bugs. Windows xp was the total opposite, never an issue.

Part of this power control is in the computer's firmware too, not just the operating system. Manufacturers often release BIOS updates to fix suspend and hibernation problems.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks for the help. I tried system restore, did 4 different restore points and none of them worked. Computer said it was unable to use any of the restore points I had picked, and I even went back to one from Feb. 1st, and it still would not work. It also would not undo my last system restore either.

I did what Demarpaint said and for some reason the time to wait to enter standby mode was changed to "Never". I set it back to 10 minutes like I had it before and now standby works again. It also works again when I enter standby manually from the start/turn off computer button.

I don't know what happened here, I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for your help.

Glad it worked, these things happen for odd reasons. My XP machine failed to go into standby mode, and none of the settings were changed. By doing what I mentioned it is working fine again.
Ever wonder why there are so many patches and fixes for windows? The OS is far from perfect. LOL
Did you run any software recently to clean the registry?

Prior to this problem, did you change any settings?
Perhaps in your Computer Display Properties, you were fooling around with either your Themes, Desktop, Screensaver, Appearance, Settings...etc.

So what did you do differently - other than surf the web / work-related programming....etc, on the day your settings changed?

Maybe you can avoid this from happening again.

No, I did not make any changes or do anything out of the ordinary. I just did a scan with AVG and a Super Anti Spyware scan on Sunday. They found some tracking cookies but nothing else. I do have CCleaner but have not used it in a long time now. Computer is still doing fine today, so I guess I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for helping me with it.

Jimmy

Do you have your Windows Update set to Automatic Download -- meaning no notification / no interruption?

Maybe an update changed a setting or three....
21.gif

Yes it is set for auto updates, around 2:00 am each night. You are probably right, there was probably an update that must have turned off the standby feature. It has been working fine since I turned it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back