Is there a larger oil filter for the FL-820s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there is a larger oil filter that would fit the FL-820S? It doesn't have to be motorcraft brand, I like puralator pure ones as well.

It seems like all I can find is that people say that there are others, but they don't have the same specs as far as drain back..

if your engine was designed for a mc 820 why would you want a bigger filter? I believe if it aint broke don't fix it because you may break it. what car or truck is this on? the newer mc filters were made smaller for a reason...limited space

Its for a mustang. Your correct about limited space lol but I have a v6 so there is a little more room. I would just like some more filtration medium

The wix that interchanges with an 820 was bigger last time I seen one. It has been awhile so they may have redesigned it by now. I use MC filters myself but the wix is a quality filter. I would not think twice about using one on any of my vehicles or equipment. 51372 is the wix part number.

Ha. I now have a truck that makes the 820 oversize
frown.gif
Imagine my surprise when I learned my EB uses the fl500s. I have a half of a case of 820's left over from my other truck. The fl2055s would be oversize but it is very hard to get now.

here is a list:
here is a list of brands that have the larger filter for the ford's fl820s:
baldwin #281......h 5 9/32"....bpv 20 psi
carquest #85087
donaldson # p553315 and p550166....h 5." bpv 17-20psi
fleetguard # lf3315....h 5.61"..bpv=17.4psi
motorcraft # EFL252
purolator # L30238...h 5.28"...bpv=20psi
wix #51087...h 5.47"...bpv=19psi
#51592...h 5.214"..bpv=18-20psi
hastings #LF444...bpv=20psi
napa #1087
wix #51592
the wix and napa filters they can order for you.when i used paper filters long ago ,i use the wix and napa lg ones..i now use statinless steel meshed filters

Last edited:
Is a higher psi bypass better or is the system designed for a filter bypass with a certain psi? The 51087 wix is not listed by application but the threads are the same. If so it could be a better filter than the one wix lists.

the bpv in the lg wix filter is the same as the bpv rating on the motorcraft fl820s = 12-18psi..lg wix will work just fine.ford racing filter fl820 bpv is 17-24psi..the system is designed with a certain psi i believe..the experts on here can answer your question.

Seems the filter's bypass valve setting is based on a combination of the vehicle's oil pump flow rating, and also on the design of the oil filter itself. IMO, it's based more on the filter's design than the vehicle. That's why you'll see a different bypass setting on different filter brands that are applicable to the same vehicle.

The filter manufacturer considers how much debris the filter can hold, how much flow resistance the filter has and how much total PSID the media can take when specifying the bypass opening pressure. You will however see higher bypass valve settings on vehicles with high flow oiling systems (like the Subaru) so that the filter doesn't go into bypass due to the higher PSID produced with high oil flow rates.

BTW - most top tier filters (when new) will only produce around 5 PSID with 10~12 GPM of hot oil flow (not many cars produce that much pump flow), so this is why you see almost all filters with at least an 8 psi bypass setting.

Most filters have a bypass setting somewhere in the range of 8 to 16 psi. Not many fall outside that range that I've seen. IMO, running a filter with a slightly higher bypass setting won't hurt anything ... but running one with a significantly lower bypass setting might cause that filter to go into bypass more often than it should.

The Ford's filters are pretty good sized when compared to the [censored]'s. 04 150 running the 820s but wives Armada big bad 5.6 8 cylinder uses a [censored] small filter (P1-14610). I actually installed thae same filter on my Kawasaki Quad a few days ago!!

I would stick with what is suppose to be there. The Motorcraft 820s is a good filter. probably worth a few dollars more than it costs at WallyWorld.

The FL 820 is already a decent-sized filter to begin with.

I understand wanting to find a bigger one, but it's not easy with this application, so just stick with the 820 - its a proven filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back