Which road bike... within a few dollars of other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at two bikes, each from a reputable local dealer that will provide a fitting, a free 30 day checkup of the entire bike, and brake/derailleur adjustments for a year.

Bike #1 is a Cannondale CAAD 8 7SORA. Bike #2 is a Trek 1.2.

I will be needing a 62cm frame (possibly a 64... both dealers will determine this and verify before ordering anything). The Trek is $899, the Cannondale is $939.

I do have past experience with the Cannondale dealer, none with the Trek dealer. However, both are top-notch, locally owned businesses who have been in business for decades.

I really would prefer to keep this under $1000. That's the criteria for selecting these two models.

Neither bike is in stock, and will have to be ordered in, due to the frame size.

Sooo.... which bike and why? And, are there other brands/models that I should consider?

The Trek dealer has an '09 Trek 1.2 Triple 62cm leftover, that they're asking $799 for it. If the 62cm is correct for me, should I make them an offer on this one, say $700 or $750?

Are there any downsides in buying a bike that has been on the showroom floor for a few years? They will offer full warranty and all services on it as well.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm seeking some wisdom from the group here.

The best bike for you is the one that fits. I would strongly recommend a good test ride of each bike, and seeing which one feels right. Worrying about minor specs within a given price bracket should be very low on the list of criteria for making your decision.

As for the '09 1.2, if it fits well, go for it. Are you likely to need the triple for very hilly terrain? If not, a compact double might be a better bet. I like having a triple on my commuter bike for when I'm loaded up and taking a big climb, but the compact double on my road bike that is used for recreational rides only is just fine.

One last thing - take a look at the function of the Sora shifters on the bikes you have mentioned, then try out a bike with 105. The ability to shift from the drop bars is a huge plus.

And another last thing... go to the forums on roadbikereview.com, and search for similar threads. Lots of good general advice there.

I see no harm in buying a floor model. Just have them do a quickie tune-up on it to make sure everything is tight and lubricated.

There's certainly nothing wrong with an older bike on the floor--parts availability isn't an issue, and it won't go bad just sitting around. The spec's look really similar.

That said, I'd avoid a triple crank if possible. A compact with a wide spread in the back (both of the new models meet this criteria) will give you the same range of gearing, with much better shifting. Triples and road bikes just don't shift very well. The chain stays are too short, which makes for poor chain line and bad shifting.

Between the C-dale and Trek, I'd go with whichever one you like the looks of and whichever dealer is more convenient and from which you get a better vibe. The bikes are remarkably similar in spec, and the frames will be of similar quality.

At the risk of spending your money for you, if you can stretch the budget just a bit to the Tiagra-equipped bike, there is a huge difference in both the feel and durability of the shifters.

As far as other brands, they're all getting the parts from the same place and the margins in the bike biz are really tight. The end result is that if you're looking at a mid-range price point, all of the bikes are going to be very, very similar. The product really doesn't differentiate itself until you get into the really high end. So, I'd go with the shop you like.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I see no harm in buying a floor model.

I agree, plus, you get to test ride it and see if you're happy with it.

As for the comparison, I think they look very close; only a test ride could determine which is better for you. In any case, I think it'll be so close, that, as long as you're happy with the one you get it will not matter much which one is slightly better.

They're both triple cranks, which is something I like for the riding I do (I like to go off the road on trails as well). Talking about trails, if it were me, I'd check if the fork and frame has enough clearance for at least 28 mm wide tire, and preferably a 32 or 30 wide if you want to ever make it cyclocross-like.

Are there no steel bikes in that price range? I kind of prefer the feel of most of those over aluminum frames; the carbon fork should help a lot though; and once you put a comfy gel saddle like an comfort avocet model on there, that sort of takes care of the other axle.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm looking at two bikes, each from a reputable local dealer that will provide a fitting, a free 30 day checkup of the entire bike, and brake/derailleur adjustments for a year.

Bike #1 is a Cannondale CAAD 8 7SORA. Bike #2 is a Trek 1.2.

I will be needing a 62cm frame (possibly a 64... both dealers will determine this and verify before ordering anything). The Trek is $899, the Cannondale is $939.

I do have past experience with the Cannondale dealer, none with the Trek dealer. However, both are top-notch, locally owned businesses who have been in business for decades.

I really would prefer to keep this under $1000. That's the criteria for selecting these two models.

Neither bike is in stock, and will have to be ordered in, due to the frame size.

Sooo.... which bike and why? And, are there other brands/models that I should consider?

The Trek dealer has an '09 Trek 1.2 Triple 62cm leftover, that they're asking $799 for it. If the 62cm is correct for me, should I make them an offer on this one, say $700 or $750?

Are there any downsides in buying a bike that has been on the showroom floor for a few years? They will offer full warranty and all services on it as well.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm seeking some wisdom from the group here.

Looking for a race geometry bike? or maybe a "plush", "endurance", etc type with a more relaxed fitment?
Cannondale has the Synapse also. It's a tad out of your budget (@ $1030)

There is also Specialized Allez Sport Compact ($990) or Specialized Secteur Sport Compact ($1050). Allez= race. Secteur = endurance

the 09 Trek is fine. Might not be able to deal down too much, but they'll be more than happy to discount accessories like helmets, pedals, shoes, shorts, bottle cages, etc....

Originally Posted By: fsdork
One last thing - take a look at the function of the Sora shifters on the bikes you have mentioned, then try out a bike with 105. The ability to shift from the drop bars is a huge plus.

It's a big jump in price (going from a $1000 bike to a $1400 bike). Though I did convince one of my friends to get a 105, instead of a Sora. I just told him to give it a try. He liked the 105 a lot better, so he dished out the extra cash.

iirc, Tiagra shifters allow you to shift from the drop bars also. Trek 1.5 would be that middle ground with the middle ground price ($1200)

I really dislike triples on a bike w/ short chainstays (racing bikes), and I really don't like triples shifted w/ STI levers. it takes a lot of finesse to adjust it correctly and the gear selection is very limited.
I'd much rather have a double w/ a wide range of rear cogs, much more usable.
all that being said, fit is 99% of the deal, if it doesn't fit you right, or you don't like the way it rides, it doesn't matter what parts are on it or whose name is on the tubes.
FWIW, I'd look at a surly pacer. any bike dealer can order it.
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

Thanks... I've learned much already, and that's why I posted my question here. When I spoke with the salesmen at the bike shops, some of the details and terms hadn't yet sunk in, but the discussion here helped for it all to make sense.

I now understand the difference in the 2300 & Sora versus the Tiagra & 105.... and doubles versus triples.

I don't yet know if it is enough of a difference to affect me, since where I ride (mostly flat) doesn't require a lot of shifting. In a 10 mile ride, I may shift gears four times total, and only use two speeds.

I guess I could always upgrade to Tiagra components in the future, if need be. I'd rather have something with Tiagra shifters now... but not sure if it is enough of an issue for me to justify the extra $$$.

The one bike shop didn't even have a 64cm frame in stock to size me on (it is still winter here in the Midwest), but admitted that they needed to start thinking about getting one on hand for that exact purpose.

Tiagra (since iirc, 2011) are 10-speed...

Sora = 9

2300 = 8

When down the road, you may want to upgrade.... the shifter/brakes are the most expensive parts.

Let's say you get a Sora-based bike... then you want a 10-speed cassette....you'll have to get a Tiagra or higher components. The MSRP for 105 shifter set is $350...

Rear derailleurs are relatively inexpensive.

I would recommend then... if the 09 Trek fits & works for you... get that. Stash some money aside for possibly upgrades down the road (or possibly a new bike down the road).

I have to wonder if expecting the first bike to be the last bike (well, at least for several years) is the best idea. Do you do much biking yet? Seems when I was looking into getting into biking, I found all sorts of people who've changed bikes as they have gone on, since their tastes had changed.

Originally Posted By: JOD
That said, I'd avoid a triple crank if possible. A compact with a wide spread in the back (both of the new models meet this criteria) will give you the same range of gearing, with much better shifting. Triples and road bikes just don't shift very well. The chain stays are too short, which makes for poor chain line and bad shifting.

cough *nonsense*

Triples on road bikes shift fine. And, not all road bikes have super-short chainstays either. (although, the prevalence of the short stay is related to people wanting bikes like they see on TV on the TdF, which is a disservice to most riders out there)

What is that they complain about, "shifting"? I don't care for how my triple shifts on the *front* shifter -- but I don't see how it'd get better with a wider split compact. Mine is what, 30/42/52. 30 to 42 is a bit annoying--but I don't use granny that often. 42 to 52, not bad. But going from a 12 tooth jump that I don't have to do very often, to a 16 tooth jump that I'd have to do often... ? [As you might guess, I live in the 42, with a 12-25 9 speed, most of the time.]

Ironically, my triple-equipped road bike cross-chains in far fewer gears than my girlfriends double-equipped road bike. There's more to cross-chaining than "triples suck", especially when many triples have better chainlines than doubles in the middle and large ring. Many doubles are set up to have such a tight q-factor they cross-chain everywhere.

I do a lot of casual riding.

Without question, I'm most concerned by component quality. I would be very tempted to pick the bicycle with the best quality components.

There really is a lifespan difference in component lifespan. And, nothing is more annoying than having them all wear out a few years down the road, when they are no longer current production.

Is this mainly a commuter bike?

If you're willing to consider others, I recently purchased a Schwinn LeTour Legacy LINK. It's an all steel frame with Shimano 105 components. It's a nice riding bike with good parts and at around 800.00 - a decent "bang for the buck".

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Thanks... I've learned much already, and that's why I posted my question here. When I spoke with the salesmen at the bike shops, some of the details and terms hadn't yet sunk in, but the discussion here helped for it all to make sense.

I now understand the difference in the 2300 & Sora versus the Tiagra & 105.... and doubles versus triples.

I don't yet know if it is enough of a difference to affect me, since where I ride (mostly flat) doesn't require a lot of shifting. In a 10 mile ride, I may shift gears four times total, and only use two speeds.

I guess I could always upgrade to Tiagra components in the future, if need be. I'd rather have something with Tiagra shifters now... but not sure if it is enough of an issue for me to justify the extra $$$.

The one bike shop didn't even have a 64cm frame in stock to size me on (it is still winter here in the Midwest), but admitted that they needed to start thinking about getting one on hand for that exact purpose.

I recommend you buy it how you want it. Upgrades can get costly quick, and ride the bike before you buy it. A bike is not a bike is not a bike. Some bikes perform, some not so much. Good luck

if you are still looking, might want to check out a lemond. i personally enjoy the ride feel of old fashioned steel and carbon fiber. i picked mine out for comfort and longer rides, not racing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
if you are still looking, might want to check out a lemond. i personally enjoy the ride feel of old fashioned steel and carbon fiber. i picked mine out for comfort and longer rides, not racing.

LeMond bikes aren't made anymore, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back