Could these people all be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who say that the PTFE particles can clog up oil pathway leading to premature wear, this guy(which I have talked to)has been using Mobil 1 and Tufoil from the first oil change. The car now has 612,000+ original miles and going strong. Yes it could have gone that mileage just using Mobil 1 but this is to show that PTFE particles in Tufoil will not clog up the oil passage ways at least in this engine. Talking to the owner via email, he said he never has had an engine related problem in this car.
Jeep with 612,000+ miles using Mobil 1 and Tufoil oil additive

The Kawaski factory race team uses teflon in their oil, and they claim it gives more power (less friction), but they take apart the engine after every race. It may work for them for a few hours, but for long term use, it isn't any good. Briggs and Straton did a test with teflon in their motors, and they found it didn't work.

On the same page are all these:

Joseph Vaillancourt’s 2,609,698 km Plymouth Fury
Dan Edelman’s million-mile Dodge Ram
Jesse Shaffer's 446,000 mile Dodge Neon R/T
Jan Richey’s 612,000 Mile 1988 Jeep Cherokee
Bob O’Neill’s 296,349-mile Dodge Daytona: Member #4,000
Bill Rogerson’s 488,673-mile 1986 Dodge W-150 pickup
Jeff Segui's 735,000 1967 Plymouth Satellite
Bill Robinson’s 452,479-mile 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ray Alexander’s million-mile Dodge van
Mike Shatto’s 623,000-mile 1998 Dodge Dakota
Rick Haston’s 550,000-mile Dodge Intrepid
The Grosvalds’ 300,000 Mile Jeep Cherokee
Marc Borza’s 400,000-mile 1967 Plymouth Satellite
Other car stories at allpar | 200,000 Mile Club

I don't think they all used Tufoil.

Originally Posted By: deven
For those who say that the PTFE particles can clog up oil pathway leading to premature wear, this guy(which I have talked to)has been using Mobil 1 and Tufoil from the first oil change. The car now has 612,000+ original miles and going strong. Yes it could have gone that mileage just using Mobil 1 but this is to show that PTFE particles in Tufoil will not clog up the oil passage ways at least in this engine. Talking to the owner via email, he said he never has had an engine related problem in this car.
Jeep with 612,000+ miles using Mobil 1 and Tufoil oil additive

Steve, that article was to show what I bolded in my post NOT to show that Tufoil caused that engine to last that many miles.

I've used Tufoil gun oil and general purpose oil, and the motor oil product, but that ONLY in the gearbox of a SAAB manual. There it did seem to reduce shifter effort. I would NOT use it in an auto trans or in a crankcase.
The gun oil and general purpose light oil seem to work just fine, but neither are "crankcase duty".
Dupont is pretty clear about not using it in engines, and I am sure they would like to sell more of the stuff if they could. If I am not mistaken, Duppont even sells a teflon gun oil under the Remmington name.

Last edited:
I used to use Tufoil in my 1980 Mustang turbo, the only thing I ever noticed was the engine turned over faster at startup.

well, I did use it many many years ago, can't prove it but my hunch is that it is the reason my main bearings had to be replaced at about 80,000 miles.

I've used a lot of Tuff Oil in the past. I used Tuff Oil with motor oils in my personal vehicle, with both synthetic and Dino oils, that seemed to lack a good healthy dose of Moly.

These oils were mainly from the Ashland family....Valvoline, NAPA, Carquest.

The engine ran smooth and quiet and although I did not notice a change in fuel consumption, wear was my primary concern.

I still have some Tuf Oil left from the past, 24 ounces, and I'll use it again when I run any Ashland products in the future.

I was tempted to add some to the Front and Rear differentials and transfer case with the Mobil 1 gear oil change this last summer but it slipped my mind.

If I had remembered at the time of the oil changing....I would have added 3 or 4 ounces of Tuff Oil to each quart of the M 1, full synthetic gear oils.

I used it over 20 years ago. It was thick going in but it reduced the overall viscosity of the oil. I had a 1987 VW Fox which saw a significant decrease in oil pressure at idle. I got scared to use it after that, but I cant really say it did damage to the engine though. I ordered it from mail order from the back of a Popular Science magazine. Which reminds me, some of those testimonials look strikingly familiar from over 20 years ago.

I used Tufoil a long time ago. What made me willing to try the stuff was an article in Popular Mechanics Magazine where there appeared to be some evidence the stuff actually worked. I used the stuff for a while. I used to own a Toyota Corrola station wagon car that ran good but the engine kind of chattered a little at startup. The Tufoil seemed to reduce that, but looking back on it all I think 20W50 oil (in the summertime) would have had the same effect.

I moved away from using Tufoil for several reasons. For one thing, all of the actual science indicated that PTFE did no good in an engine unless a cylinder was actually coated with PTFE in a factory. And the Tufoil people themselves started to put Moly in the stuff in addition to the PTFE and I wondered why that was necessary if the PTFE was so effective. And I started to notice that the Tufoil people used the same advertising for a long time. Where were all the new studies and the new testing? I guess it was cheaper to just keep using all the old advertising. Promoting a product using the same old studies and testing turns me off. I want to see new testing that indicates the product actually works.

I have not used Tufoil for several years. I was much more impressed myself by Lubegard products. Tufoil may have had some limited amount of benefit but my guess is that the moly in a quality motor oil would produce just as good of results for a lot less money. The moly has already been put into the motor oil-right?

Just the feelings of a former Tufoil user who has not touched the stuff for a lot of years.

I used to use it some years and there was "no" doubt that the stuff smoothed out the vibrations from the engine and it ran cooler. Never did any harm to the engine and less vibration and heat can only be good. You just have to determine if you want to spend an extra $12 a oil change for it. It's good stuff..

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Never heard of it, never used it....haven't "seen" it really....

my father taught me something, If Walamrt doesn't sell it, it probably ain't worth buying.....because they aren't going to want to deal with the huge customer complaints/etc....from an inferior product
smile.gif

To some extent it seems to be true....but well.....they still do sell Slick 50, and zMax engine treatment, and Duralube, among others, that have had a "troubled past"
smile.gif

Irionically, the Slick50 Transmission product, and engine additive are "sold out" at my local WM :p

Walmart sells Fram filters , nuff said..

once i say a post by a chemical engineer, he said that chlorine does do something, but if it goes bad it goes very very badly he did NOT recommend chlorine. the thing is how do you know what products have chlorine and not.

how long would the engines lasted if they were well made engines, with out the Tufoil? we hear all the time of engines lasting 500,000 to 2,000,000 miles with just oil. when i started driving a engine was thought to be over heating if got up to 180 F. was common to over haul an engine at 50,000- 100,000 miles. my point?a lot of things we know about engines improved by leaps and bounds, over the years.

I used Tufoil with Castrol GTX 5w-30 oil for over 200k miles with zero problems in a Saturn SC. The Saturn burned oil like a majority of them, but I had no mechanical or oil related problems in 14 years.

I ran it in a Honda Civic that I put more than 300K on I used many different base oils with it (whatever was on sale) the car ran great when I sold it. Could it have made it to 300K without Tufoil? Prob could have but who knows?

I did put some in a snowblower that I had that had a beat engine and it never ran better. The engine ran much better and it had more power then it ever had running Tufoil. I got another two winters out of it before I traded it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back