Motorcraft FL-820S or FL-500 on Ford Escape 3L V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izb

I have Ford Escape 2006 3L V6.
Factory oil filter is FL-820S.

I know that latest Escapes V6 (3.5L) use latest FL-500.

Can I use FL-500 on my Ford Escape 2006?
Does FL-500 (instead of FL-820S) have any advantages or disadvantages?

The bypass valve setting and flow rate are the critical differences, aside from basic dimensions. The 500 has a lower bypass pressure and a lower flow rate than the 820.

It would seem that they should not be interchanged.

Here is a snippet from another enthusiast forum:

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?...2227#msg3162227

Motorcraft Number FL500s
Part Number: 57502
Principal Application: Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner (2009) w/ 3.0L engine - Ford Taurus, Edge, Mercury Sable w/ V6 3.5L mfg after 1/16/2009
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.09
Outer Diameter Top: 2.942
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Beta Ratio
Burst Pressure
Normal Micron Rating
Gasket Diameters

OD 2.753
ID 2.397
THK 0.25

Motorcraft Number FL820s
Part Number: 51372
Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (91-09), Mazda (00-09), Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V (06-09)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.167
Outer Diameter Top: 3.66
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Beta Ratio 2/20=12/25
Burst Pressure 275
Normal Micron Rating 19
Gasket Diameters

lzb, the FL820S is very highly regarded here for use on Ford products, while the FL500S is relatively new. I know of no reason you would want to use the smaller FL500S in place of it.

I prefer higher bypass pressure to avoid unfiltrated oil at moderate winter temperature -15 C.
Can you recommend reccomend another big flter with higher Flow Rate?

I was in a pinch about a year ago and had to stop into a Valvoline quick lube. When I checked under the hood a week or so later I noticed how much smaller the filter was on it. I was 3 levels of (censored)-Off! After reading up on it i'm sure it didnt hurt anything, but nonetheless I'll never go back there agian. I'll let it go over a a few hundered miles and just do it myself. But, before I joined BITOG I thought that going over a 3k oil change was the end of the world, lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I seen a 4.6L Explorer today with a FL500S-size filter on it instead of a FL820S as was originally specified. Seems a lot of quick lubes are carrying the FL500S type only now for inventory simplification. Since it will fit where either are required.
Personally, I use a FL820S type on my Mom's '09 Fusion V6 though it specifies a FL500S. It fits and I see no particular reason to add another filter type when its already on hand for my Vic and the Ranger.
Unfortunately, there aren't really any larger filters that would fit this specification. If you are looking for flow, you might look into the Ford racing FL820 oil filter; though it will cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back